Point Creep Got Me

wytx

WKR
Once residents start complaining about over crowding in the general areas you might see quotas reduced in those areas, point creep may go through the roof then.
Things aren't quite settled just yet on elk in Wyoming.
Next few years might be iffy for NRs.

tdhanses

WKR
Once residents start complaining about over crowding in the general areas you might see quotas reduced in those areas, point creep may go through the roof then.
Yeah I think people are realizing that, I bet we see many blow their points and be done in WY.

I also wonder what the age class make up is for those with 9pts +. I bet there are a ton of them 60yrs +.

Im hoping to burn my Antelope points this year, tried this past year but point creep really got me. Not worth the low odds for NR and increased $. Gave up on everything else the past couple of years and elk last year. Done with WY

What’s your outlook on 90/10 for DEA or 90/5/5 coming through in the next couple years.
I’m not a Wyoming resident, but I would be shocked if that doesn’t come to fruition in the next 5 or so years.

Rich M

WKR
What’s your outlook on 90/10 for DEA or 90/5/5 coming through in the next couple years.
I’m not a Wyoming resident, but I would be shocked if that doesn’t come to fruition in the next 5 or so years.
I totally agree w you. This stuff has yet to “shake out”.

Nontyp

FNG
Sitting here thinking I could have had 11 points going into 2024 , still chasing the LO tag from 2012 I wanted but instead I cashed out 2 times and went on 2 general hunts and killed 2 6x6 bulls.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I'm sooo glad I gave up on WY 20+ years ago. MT might be next, $700+ for a deer tag is getting ridiculous. Point creep has screwed me in CO big time. I just got back a few weeks ago from a hunt on my land in MO and bought (OTC) an any deer tag and 2 doe tags for $315 I believe and easily filled all 3. I have 4 or 5 private places in WI where I can buy a NR deer tag for $180 also.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I have 5 points in Co. A quick scan last night made it seem I had good odds to draw some decent tags ( to me) outside of the OTC stuff. So my decision isn't OTC vs. General. Guess I should also add, I am not too concerned with the size of the bulls in a given area. Mainly looking for an opportunity without being over run with other hunters.
Eh, burned 8 points in Co last year and even that unit was not what it stacked up to be…. IMO hardly any of the units are worth the wait these days… still had an opportunity blow by other hunters but it was less frequent than OTC

williaada

WKR
Just a quick question for those who have posted how old are you? I ask because the largest group of hunters are baby boomers in the lower 48. I am 42 and do not run into many people south of 55 at the trail heads.

OP
Mw01313

Mw01313

FNG
Just a quick question for those who have posted how old are you? I ask because the largest group of hunters are baby boomers in the lower 48. I am 42 and do not run into many people south of 55 at the trail heads.
I am 39. I don't have the amount of public land experience that a lot of guys on here do, but my experience has been that the majority of the people I run into are my age or younger. That is a pretty small sample size though.

Rich M

WKR
Most guys I've run into have been north of 40. Some younger but mostly older.

For many I know/knew, western hunting was seen as something to do once or twice when you got older and have the vacation time & money. This was before the You Tube generation and the need to hunt every hunt every state every time.

Thanks to supply & demand, points, and point creep, we're back to hunting once or twice, when you get the opportunity.

Jethro

WKR
I am 42 and do not run into many people south of 55 at the trail heads.
Younger guys are in deep.

I hunt with 2 guys my age, 52, and another that is 70. I don't particularly pay attention to others age but last year I talked with a father with a young son on his first western hunt. Also talked with a 3 generation hunting family. Grandfather 81 years old hunting with his son and grandson.

In my opinion, I think the general tag is a better all around option than a mediocre LQ area. General gives you a lot of flexibility in season dates and areas, and can produce just as big of bulls. The only caveat to opting for general is that you'll have company. These days, all general units are pretty busy. A LQ hunt seems to do a good job of limiting pressure, but that does not necessarily mean the hunting is better. And...if you are still years from some of the best LQ hunts, you won't see a huge difference between lower point LQ hunts and general. You could probably pull some of the archery LQ tags if that's your style.

drdrop

FNG
Having twice hunted an area requiring NR max points as well as another exceeding 10 points, the commonality I have observed across these places is they share relatively easy terrain, and the possibility of decent bulls that is far from guaranteed. I know residents that ended up tagging raghorns in max pt LQ areas. There are bigger elk and fewer people in remote locations for those who are ambitious, but the problem you run into is that pesky wilderness law. If you are into a backcountry experience, don't get too hung up on thinking a GEN tag is worse than some of the max pt LQ out there. I think part of the high point LQ issue is old timers want to hunt easy terrain.

Trvl2hunt

FNG
my 0.02 - I think the outfitters still have enough pull in WY that you will not see NR Elk quota change for a looong time. In the future General will likely transform into even smaller zones and eventually Unit specific NR draw. - There are still a lot of Excellent hunts units that require mid teens level points. Point creep seems to have slowed slightly so those in the 9+ range still have a reasonable horizon to draw a great hunt. General is still the best bang for the point for now..... I am anxious to see how the odds change in the next few years with the new regions and regular vs special price increase.