Solo archery hunting?

In shamlin88's defense it does seem very sketchy going into the woods or mountains with other apex predators if you are not used to them.

We have a small population of bears here that do not concern me as I have never even seen sign of one, though after listening to you guys I don't think I'd be that concerned if I did. We also have a mountain lion population that does concern me a bit when walking to my stand in the dark or field dressing game in the dark and therefore carry a sidearm. In the mountains I'll probably carry bear spray just for piece of mind if not a sidearm but I am sure you fellas are right and once I get a little experience under my belt won't feel the need anymore. I do not think they are actively hunting humans though but chance encounters do occasionally happen.

Live2hunt, there is no problem being cautious about bears or carrying spray, or a firearm when legal. They have the ability to do great bodily harm if they really want to, it's just not really in their makeup. Certain scenarios can bring that out in them. Only bears I have EVER seen be aggressive is sow with cubs or a bear who is not mortally wounded. Being aware of the dangers is a good thing, being aware of how to keep yourself out of those situations is key. But they are not hunters of men, bear don't stalk you like a cat does. Bears think oh man he might have food, cats think who he might be food.

Cats used to terrify me and they still make me uneasy but with the amount Of encounters I have had recently with them I realize they are really just like house cats, but bigger. They are opportunists, which don't like conflict.

Bar

Banned
The cat won't know that. He'll just see you as big, and leave you alone.

shamlin88

FNG
It is ironic how every forum has the "elitist" know it all's that put down every opinion that is not in agreement of their own. It also drives me crazy the extreme number of "professionals" that have "first hand experience" and therefore what they say is gospel. Since we are going to talk first hand experience, here is mine. I hunted and lived in FL for 7 years in which I spent a great amount of time in the Ocala National Forest. I sat in a make shift ground blind over a drainage pond and watched as a black bear seemed to stalk my 14 year old son and his blind position. As their was no cell service, I ended up letting the bear get within 40 yards of his position before bursting out of my blind to scare him off. Was the bear actually "hunting" my son?, Don't know, but it sure looked like it and I was not going to wait to find out and have my son be a statistic. I agree with many, bears don't actively hunt humans, but I want to be prepared in the event where a bear loses its sanity for a split second.
Also, took my 9MM out and shot it through a piece of 1 1/2" thick dried black walnut that I was saving for a gun stock. Don't think a bears skull carrys that kind of density.
I sure hope this site doesn't go the way of AT where the "know it all's" belittle and ridicule the commentary and opinions of others.

It is ironic how every forum has the "elitist" know it all's that put down every opinion that is not in agreement of their own. It also drives me crazy the extreme number of "professionals" that have "first hand experience" and therefore what they say is gospel. Since we are going to talk first hand experience, here is mine. I hunted and lived in FL for 7 years in which I spent a great amount of time in the Ocala National Forest. I sat in a make shift ground blind over a drainage pond and watched as a black bear seemed to stalk my 14 year old son and his blind position. As their was no cell service, I ended up letting the bear get within 40 yards of his position before bursting out of my blind to scare him off. Was the bear actually "hunting" my son?, Don't know, but it sure looked like it and I was not going to wait to find out and have my son be a statistic. I agree with many, bears don't actively hunt humans, but I want to be prepared in the event where a bear loses its sanity for a split second.
Also, took my 9MM out and shot it through a piece of 1 1/2" thick dried black walnut that I was saving for a gun stock. Don't think a bears skull carrys that kind of density.
I sure hope this site doesn't go the way of AT where the "know it all's" belittle and ridicule the commentary and opinions of others.

Unlike AT people don't normally post on subjects they have no experience or knolwedge in, at least that is how it used to be here.

Hardstalk

WKR
I've had a cat Ransak my camp while I was out hunting. The muddy claw prints on my 4$ bed roll proved it. No known attacks for years in my state but they sketch me out. There faster stronger and in the wilderness smarter than I am. That puts me on the second rung of the totem pole while I'm solo. Not a bad place to be. Keeps you aware.

dotman

WKR

Now I have no experience with the 9mm but I tested a 357 on an elk skull, guess what it didn't penetrate the skull. Truthfully the 9mm just wasn't designed for animals, humans are thin skinned small boned. But the chance you ever have to use it is so remote so if it adds comfort then I say take it.

A huge Tom was following me a few years ago, closest he got was 60 yards, when I walked towards him he just turn and walked the other way. I think he was just curious but it made the old ticker race a little.. I have no idea how long he followed me but he never acted threatening.

To me it seems most are posting their experiences and because they do not match yours they are not qualified, just what I take from your post when you say "said experts". Yes black bears have stalked, killed and eaten humans, it has been well documented in AK and other areas but your chance at winning the lotto and having that happen are probably pretty similar. They deserve respect but 99.9% just want to get away from you.

Last edited:
You seem like a fairly uneducated man, and clearly have never spent ANY amount of time around black bears. So basically your blatantly saying you don't respect game laws. You would be willing to lose your hunting privileges for the following year?

Have you ever killed a bear?? Have you ever skinned a bear out and held a bear skull? I have and also watched guys shoot bear in the head with 38 and 9mm and watched them glance off. When it was legal to run dogs a TON of guys wanted to head shot them, and a ton of guys came undergunned. I speak from actual experience, I speak from things I've witnessed and also done. I can tell by what you say you don't. Black bears don't "hunt" you and they have no desire to make you dinner. Saying stuff like tha is melodrama that makes you sound ridiculous.

Sorry bro I have to call bullshit. Black bears do hunt humans from time to time. A woman was attacked and partially consumed in May of this year. The bear wouldn't leave the kill despite her co workers trying to scare the bear away and was shot by the police when they arrived on scene. People are attacked and killed by black bears every year.

Califhuntn

Lil-Rokslider
Getting back to your original question. Only you can decide if releasing an arrow in a bear 6 miles back is the right thing for you to do. You are solo and will be the one doing all the work. I understand the fear but it is a state of mind that you will have to overcome. I think there has been some pretty solid advice given by some pretty seasoned hunters. Go out and have a great time.

Sorry bro I have to call bullshit. Black bears do hunt humans from time to time. A woman was attacked and partially consumed in May of this year. The bear wouldn't leave the kill despite her co workers trying to scare the bear away and was shot by the police when they arrived on scene. People are attacked and killed by black bears every year.

Ummm... No they are not. From 1909 to 2009 there were 14 fatal black bear attacks... 14 in 100 years. I would call that once in a blue moon. There have been a few guys from the Midwest that like to kill people and eat them. I don't go around sayin Midwesterners want to eat everyone. It's foolish to use outliers as an example for the general populous of anything.

Bar

Banned
I worry about lighting more than bears and cats. 60 years hunting, and i've never had a confrontation.

Browtine

WKR
Ummm... No they are not. From 1909 to 2009 there were 14 fatal black bear attacks... 14 in 100 years. I would call that once in a blue moon. There have been a few guys from the Midwest that like to kill people and eat them. I don't go around sayin Midwesterners want to eat everyone. It's foolish to use outliers as an example for the general populous of anything.

If I remember right, almost 90% of the 14 fatal attacks occurred after 1960. I would still call those odds, "once in a blue moon" though.

Also, the study I read stated that almost 100% of all fatal black bear attacks were carried out by a lone, predatory male. In other words, a bear that was hunting the human.

I'm still way more worried about lightning and/or taking a fall in the backcountry though.

I see and interact with ALOT of black bears were I live and spend time in the woods. My Queensland heeler has treed 6 bears over the last few years while we were scouting or hiking and I have come across many when alone in the woods at 30 yards or less with no incident. I usually hunt in the CA Sierra Nevada Mtn range . Last season I had a nice bear less than 10 yards from me and standing broadside while I was bow hunting .It never saw me. It was almost dark , I was deep in the woods , and had to work early in the morning. I did Not take the shot because I weighed the all night work it would take to pack it out, butcher it, and get no sleep before a 12 hour busy work shift.

shamlin88

FNG
First of all everyone is comparing apples and oranges. Sure, snakes, ant, bees, dogs all kill more people; I get that. But you cannot use that argument when considering those killers in the Western Mountains of the US! And everyone talks about the low number of fatalities from black bears; how many ATTACKS were there where someone survived or is permanently debilitated by a mauling. Every trade reference article on the subject concurs on the fact that bear and human encounters are on the rise so more attacks are forth-coming. My point has been that I will carry a pistol for the sole purpose of defending myself from such an attack, if and when it may occur. How many of you own guns for home protection? Statistics are there is a very low chance of ever getting robbed, but you still arm yourself none the less, on the chance that it may happen to you. I refuse to become a possible statistic no matter how remote the chances are. It is better to be prepared for the worst, then leave your fate to chance.

Bar

Banned
How many bear attacks are there on hunters who are already carrying a weapon? I see no need for two weapons. It would be different if we were talking about grizzly's. Black bear? Nah! They're way more afraid of us then you are of them.

MattB

WKR
2 thoughts:

1) A bow is a weapon - as are arrows, facts which often seems to get lost in discussions such as this. I may pack a pistol if I am not packing a bow, but I have only carried both in brown bear territory.
2) Folks need to be careful about using the published statistics regarding animal attacks. Here in CA, the DF&W often references the statistics on fatalities when trying to downplay the risk of lions. The rate of attacks, and more specifically encounters which can sound a lot like minor or potential attacks/stalkings when researched, is understated. That isn't to say that I believe that there is a likelihood of being attacked by a cat or a bear (on the contrary, I am in the "I worry more about lightening and bee stings" camp), that is purely a commentary about the statistics.

_Nick_

WKR
2 thoughts:

1) A bow is a weapon - as are arrows, facts which often seems to get lost in discussions such as this. I may pack a pistol if I am not packing a bow, but I have only carried both in brown bear territory.
2) Folks need to be careful about using the published statistics regarding animal attacks. Here in CA, the DF&W often references the statistics on fatalities when trying to downplay the risk of lions. The rate of attacks, and more specifically encounters which can sound a lot like minor or potential attacks/stalkings when researched, is understated. That isn't to say that I believe that there is a likelihood of being attacked by a cat or a bear (on the contrary, I am in the "I worry more about lightening and bee stings" camp), that is purely a commentary about the statistics.

Well put.

2 thoughts:

Good point and I agree. But I can only go off numbers that are given. However slanted they may be. I personally don't understand why ca f&g does that. I would think they would want high numbers published so there would be a possible push for cats to be hunted considering it would mean more money without having to do anything.