Late season Montana - shot distance

In the process of putting together a late season (late November) Montana elk. The firearm I will be taking (X-Bolt 308) has an Aimpoint sight on it currently for my whitetail hunting. I am completely confident out to 200 meters. With the type of hunt I am expecting from what I've read, the elk will be tight in the timber during the late season. I can mount a variable power scope on my rifle, but should I stick with the Aimpoint instead?

Bar

Banned
All I hunt is the timber, and use nothing but open sights. You should be fine if you can shoot out to 200m. I've never had a timber shot over 100yds. Most are half that distance.

If you think you'll have some open area shots. Then a scope might be better.

Personally, I wouldn't want a fixed power. Yes, it would work but I like having the flexibility to shoot a little further if need necessary. But if you know it's all going to be timber, you'll be fine.

Rocky

WKR
Adding a magnifier to your Aimpoint will give you some addition yardage if it is an option. The nice thing about a magnifier is you get to choose when you use it. If you don't need it is out of the way. If you need it just flip it up behind your Aimpoint.