Wife's First Bruin....DOWN!

TheHardWay

Lil-Rokslider
When I first met my wife, she was not a hunter. She wasn't an anti-hunter, just never had anyone to show her how to do it. Since we've met, she has taken her share of nice bulls, bucks, and turkeys, but never a bear. For the past 3 seasons, the stars just wouldn't align for her. Fast forward to last night. With about 45 minutes of light left, I spotted this guy coming towards us at about 500 yards, taking his time, munching on acorns. We moved a little closer to 375yds and got set up. He didn't offer a good shot as he was coming directly at us. At 350, he stood up broadside to grab a scrub oak limb, and she dropped the hammer with a 300WSM and sent a 168gr Barnes TTSX his way. He hunched up and went a few yards into the thick, nasty stuff which did not allow for a follow up shot. We made our way down to him and eventually found him piled up about 50 yards from where she shot him. Estimated weight is 350-375 pounds, a pretty good bear for SW Colorado. A heck of a bear, especially for her first! She set the bar high, that is for sure. He is an older bear with some character. His one ear is split almost completely in half, and his one canine tooth is chipped pretty good. His incisors are worn pretty flat as well.

SethH

Lil-Rokslider
That's an awesome bear! Congrats to you both. Nice work on getting her into hunting.

WKR
That is a toad for CO. Great bear and darn good shot there.