Bear Cub Distress Call?

Hunting fall black bear in East TN for the first time. Made two day hunts so far to the same spot. Acorns everywhere and bear scat is all acorn mush. There are news articles about this being a "mast year" in TN.

First day called in a sow with three cubs using a fawn distress call. She came over the rise behind me and passed within 10 yards with her cubs in tow. Never saw or winded me, which I was glad for with a crossbow in my lap! She kept trucking in the direction of the acorn flats I passed thru earlier.

Called a few more sets in other locations with tons of bear sign and nothing came in.

Made me wonder if fall bear with abundant food sources aren't interested in prey distress calls. So I ordered a bear cub distress call. Warnings all over the packaging to "use at your own risk." My wife thinks I have a death wish lol...Rifle hunting the same spot next weekend and am tempted to use it.

Anyone have experience using cub distress calls in the fall?

OP
TracksWapiti
In the Ultimate Guide to Black Bear Hunting he mentions using cub distress call but warns it might bring in an angry momma bear.
Yes, read that in his book just now too. (Great read btw!)

He mentioned in a interview that he doesn’t use cub distress calls much so can’t speak to their effectiveness:

wcasey755

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe this is just dumb logic. But wouldn’t you be calling in a sow that has cubs? Or would a sow that doesn’t have cubs still come in?

wcasey755

Lil-Rokslider
I think you're trying to call in a boar. He wants to kill the cubs so Momma will want to make new cubs.
Oh that makes sense. I thought it was more grizzlies that did that but intresting to know black bears do too

OP
TracksWapiti
Doesn’t seem to be much hard data out there about folks using these cub distress calls. One of the few reviews on the call I bought was from an outfitter in GA that said “this call makes the bear come running.” I tried contacting the outfitter to hear more about their experience with it but it appears they are no longer in business

Was planning to hunt this weekend but got wrecked with flu instead (and my whole family by extension)

Have 3 more opportunities in December to try this call and report back

wcasey755

Lil-Rokslider
G
Doesn’t seem to be much hard data out there about folks using these cub distress calls. One of the few reviews on the call I bought was from an outfitter in GA that said “this call makes the bear come running.” I tried contacting the outfitter to hear more about their experience with it but it appears they are no longer in business

Was planning to hunt this weekend but got wrecked with flu instead (and my whole family by extension)

Have 3 more opportunities in December to try this call and report back
Good luck! Let us know how you fair!

Seems like a bad ideal to me. Don't forget the hot sauce cologne, heard they like hot sauce.

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
Like any bear calling, it's probably very hit or miss. That said I have had some sporadic success with rabbit in distress/calf elk/deer talker calls. I think the cub in distress may be a decent call during the rut (end may-end june) here when boars are looking to breed. Ive seen sows push cubs up trees and get right shitty when I unknowingly got to close or when ive seen another bear get too close and she doesnt want to be social. In a couple cases, cubs were very vocal.If I were fall hunting and wanted to call, it would be all about food( rabbit, or other predator call).

Whenever I do call bears, I set up in a spot where I can see in all directions. They can be surpisingly sneaky when on the stalk. But there is also a good chance you may also call in a bear that has cubs. Last thing I want to do is have to shoot an agressive sow (that has a cub) because I created the situation. I always leave myself some sort of escape plan when calling bears and never call bears from a treestand

Last edited:
OP
TracksWapiti
Thanks for the advice all. Day hunting a new lake tomorrow and planning to use the cub distress call. Will post any results/lessons learned