High school graduation Bear hunt.

quepina

FNG
Hello from Northeaster MN!

Son is graduating high school and got into hunting a few years ago when he moved in with me, his Dad.
( lived with his Mom for most of his life )

We are really proud of how far he has come the last few years and the kid has an incredible work ethic and has completed a years worth of college classes while finishing high school. He has come along way since he moved in with us a few years back.

I was able to get him into hunting here in MN and he harvested a Doe his first year and a small buck this last fall.

I asked him what he wanted to do for his graduation and he wants to go on a Father son DYI bear hunt in Montana this spring.

Background on Dad here. Never hunted bears, but have done a lot of reading on it and on Montana. Never hunted out west.

I think the plan will be to head out to maybe the bitterroot area and go from there. Would like to be able to access logging roads and camp from the truck. If that area isn’t great for that then maybe another national forest area would be better ?

Any info on bear hunting out west would be greatly appreciated. He is a great kid been through a lot and has come along way last few years, want to make the trip a good one for the kid.

Thanks again.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Weather is the unpredictable variable- come to early and can't access the bears due to snow come to late and they've moved off the greens and into thicker cover. Being flexible with timing will trump everything.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

OP
Q

quepina

FNG
Weather is the unpredictable variable- come to early and can't access the bears due to snow come to late and they've moved off the greens and into thicker cover. Being flexible with timing will trump everything.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Thanks for the information. Will keep up with conditions through the spring.