So my hunting partner backed out today...

and I'm headed out to CO (from WI) next week for elk during the first rifle season in GMU 14, near Clark. I have been to the area several times before, but this will be my first western backcountry solo hunt. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous, but it feels like an excited energy? Believe me, I know what I'm getting into, especially once an animal is down. I'm just used to having a partner. There is always a first time for everything, and this is it... Any last words from the masses?

Also, If anybody is going to be out that way, PM me and maybe we can get together for a beer in Steamboat Springs on Thursday night, or after I'm tagged out!

Last edited:

MAT

Lil-Rokslider
It's only scary in a tent, by yourself, in the wilderness for the first time. Otherwise just leave a note somewhere as to your general direction of travel just in case.

You headed up the Bowes Mining or Seedhouse road?

WestDan

Lil-Rokslider
carry a spot or delorme in case of emergency, otherwise have a blast.

jljmonky

FNG
I will be WAY south from there but have a friend from a military school in the area. We are driving out from IL on the 15th so PM me if you get in a bind and maybe we can find a way ti help.

OP
chippewawarrior
MAT, true. I won't be alone per say, but for the last few years I have not seen another hunter in the woods after around 3 miles or so. There is a regular group that stays relatively close to the trailhead, and a group that takes horses much deeper in. I try to stay between them, and I have not seen either group during the season yet, unless we packed meat back to the trailhead. For all intents and purposes this is solo for me...

As a precaution, let someone know where you'll be and when you'll come out. If you have a spot or there's cell service you're covered. Send a "check in" text. Don't sweat it.

You're going to have a blast! Just use some judgement with regard to risks.

It takes about 3-4 days to get the noise out of your head. Then you get into a rhythm. You won't lose focus any more than you would any other time. After about ten days of not talking to anyone, it seems like you truly hear more.

I used to do 2 1/2-3 week non-hunting solo trips, before the kids. No one knew where I was specifically, or what my whimsical path of travel would be. I had no spot, no phone, no radio. Perhaps somewhat reckless, but incredible. It's a real feeling of freedom. Something that no one thought strange or irresponsible not that far back in history.

gelton

WKR
I did my first solo trip this year for 8 days. All of the worries that I had going through my head before and on the way to the trip totally left my mind as soon as I started hiking in. After that it became the most enjoyable hunting trip I had ever had in my life even though it was unsuccessful.

I had no problem at all having no one to talk to - in fact I loved it. Also, any fears of critters etc, are totally absent when your literally too tired to care. I had downloaded a book onto my iphone and never took it outta the "cloud" so without cell service I didn't even have a book to read...funny thing was I was so beat at the end of every day that I didn't even care that i didn't have a book to read. And all the ideas about starting to talk to yourself and how much harder it was to focus - I didn't find it that way at all. I found that I pushed myself harder, hiked further, and went places that I would have never went with a partner.

I normally hunt with my dad who is a little out of shape and most of the friends I have brought out make me feel like they are holding me back and closer to camp. Without anyone there the only person who can hold you back is you. I think it should be mandatory for any back pack hunter that they go on at least one solo trip. I enjoyed the hell out of it and would have never made it to this bowl at the top of the treeline if I had had company, instead I had it all to myself for a day.

rayporter

WKR
i have had a half dozen guys bail on me at one time or another. leave the cell phone at the truck and go hunt.

one thing i have learned is to count noses when you make camp and not before.

S

Salmo-Priest

and I'm headed out to CO (from WI) next week for elk during the first rifle season in GMU 14, near Clark. I have been to the area several times before, but this will be my first western backcountry solo hunt. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous, but it feels like an excited energy? Believe me, I know what I'm getting into, especially once an animal is down. I'm just used to having a partner. There is always a first time for everything, and this is it... Any last words from the masses?

Also, If anybody is going to be out that way, PM me and maybe we can get together for a beer in Steamboat Springs on Thursday night, or after I'm tagged out!

Yes! Enjoy the heck out of it! The toughest part for me going solo is getting out of bed in the morning... I do prefer a partner but kind of enjoy the ridiculous conversations I have with myself. :)

S

Salmo-Priest

Yes! Enjoy the heck out of it! The toughest part for me going solo is getting out of bed in the morning... I do prefer a partner but kind of enjoy the ridiculous conversations I have with myself. :)

danarnold

WKR
I was solo for 8 days last month in Mt, I did talk out loud quite a bit in doing my daily preparations but not really in the midst of hunting, no real fear of critters either but I did have my 10mm handy most always
I pushed myself harder than I have done before with very little to show for it until the last day
Be Strong!

I was supposed to go with a friend OTC to Colorado and his plan changed the 1st of August. I flew out from Raleigh and hit the hills alone having never elk hunted before. I didn't kill an elk but I had a great time and had some close encounters!

MOcluck

Lil-Rokslider
This was my first year hunting elk. I went solo, backpacked in a little over 5 miles I did 8 days the first run came out for a weekend and went back in 4 miles for three days. I agree the mental part is the hardest after 8 days of very few elk sightings the last 3 days were tough but I'm glad I went back I got into bugling elk and got to play the game. I did'nt get an elk this year but I'll go back until I do. Next time I go back I'm olny doing a week . A week is about all I can do and give it 100% every day after that the mountain takes its toll on your body and your mind. Good Luck

MOcluck

Lil-Rokslider
I'll have to see how things unfold. I just bought a new house and am in the process of selling my old house, so I'm making two house payments. If I sell my house I'm going back next year if not it will be 2016. So check back with me from time to time.

OP
chippewawarrior
Well, it's time to catch my flight today. I'm all packed and ready as I'm going to be for an adventure. Thanks for the insight guys. I'm walking in on Friday, for the hunt that starts on Saturday. I'll keep you posted!