CO 45 2nd rifle

bccowboy

FNG
Well, I was able to get a limited leftover for GMU 45 2nd rifle Antlerless. I also have a 18 Antlerless 4th rifle, but I'm very familiar with that unit (at least I think). I'm still debating turning in 45 just to get an OTC Bull tag, but I digress.
I'm pretty fit and well versed in the mountains. Thinking of doing my first backpack hunt in 45 and really trying to get after it. Figured I'd see if people had any tips or really think I should get a bull tag? haha

My main concern is for glass I just have a pair of vortex 10x42's so getting up and staying on the glass isn't going to be the best option for me. So it'll be a lot of trying to glass, but most likely getting fed up/tired and trying to get into the elk some other way. I've never harvested an elk so filling the freezer would be fantastic in general regardless of missing out on the bull tag.

Thanks.

hobbes

WKR
Unless you are judging trophy potential,10x42s are more than capable for glassing elk. If I already had a cow tag that I thought I could fill, I'd buy the bull tag instead of another cow.

BDRam16

WKR
There’s maybe 4 areas in the entire unit of 45 that you can glass and you can’t get to them unless you want to climb like 2500’ up a rock wall. I think people truly underestimate the unit. It’s steep, dark timber, and covered in blowdown. It will take you HOURS to get anywhere and when you do, there will just be more thick blowdown.