CA late season hunt

OP
CaseyU

CaseyU

WKR
Mid day update. It's a tough day to be hunting.!!! Windy and raining sideways. Deer are bedded. Stumbled across 6 bucks this morning. All small and bucks I have seen. Going to try and get lucky. Until this weather breaks! Thy should be out like crazy tomorrow! And so we are clear I would be grateful to harvest that cheater buck. But I have a lot of time left and that buck is on private which take a little away from it for me.

Last edited:
OP
CaseyU

CaseyU

WKR
That's it for the day. About the same as earlier. Same bucks but big wind!!! Tomorrow is a north wind and overcast. It's shaping up to be a good day!!! Night boys and girls

Shrek

WKR
Love your hunt thread so far ! You are way more disciplined than me. That big sticker buck would be sausage now if it was me. Good hunting !

c5mrr270

WKR
14 days brother!!!!

Nice! Yeah, that's plenty of time. I know a guy that has the Doyle Mtn. Muzzy tag and that hunt ended today so I was thinking your tag might be the same. Take your time it should only get better.

OP
CaseyU

CaseyU

WKR
Thanks for the support boys!!! Can't remember how many bucks I saw today. Some more new ones. But they kinda all faded when I saw the first mature 4 point of the hunt. No pics. I was way too excited. But he was all of 25" could be 26 4 point. Great time length front and backs. I was thinking high 160s or low 170s but I was going to ground check him if you know what I mean. Followed him for an hour or so slowly creeping got to 47 yards in some descent sage and bitterbrush so was just waiting for a shot. Wind was perfect. Sat for another 20 minutes or so in that range and then a dirt bike comes screaming up a trail that goes on the edge of a timber bet and old burn and they got a little rattled up. Went into a tight drainage that put the wind not in my favor and so I called it off. But oh boy was my blood boiling!!! Have to go to work for 2 days and then will be back at it. They still aren't rutting hard but I know it's going to be like a light switch!!!

Last edited:
OP
CaseyU

CaseyU

WKR
b62157be0f3f2c1e3ff17098f16fe16f.jpg
0b626e3bac0c1968738d4add13231b9a.jpg
41aa617478419b96689751a1f849b4e6.jpg

OP
CaseyU

CaseyU

WKR
Hey there status update. Well I get off work tomorrow and call me crazy but I am going to take 2 days off and do that husband thing. I have not been to my house in 3 weeks. Straight from work to hunting and back to work. And after been gone almost all summer. I decided to take a couple days off to show her how much I appreciate her. I will be back at it on Friday! Hope you all have a fantastic thanksgiving. Don't forget to count your blessings!!!

OP
CaseyU

CaseyU

WKR
Back at it guys and gals hope you all are way too munch and enjoyed family and friends :) it's hunting time again :)

OP
CaseyU

CaseyU

WKR
Morning update. Saw some bucks today. We are driving Into a spot and we stop to get some water out of the back of the truck and lone behold a lone bucks walks about 60 yards from the truck. He was 28ish 4x3 old mature buck. I was on him for a while. I could never get out in front of him. We was on a mission looking for does. Got within 40 yards a bunch of times. I drew back about 10 different times. He just never stopped once. Sure was fun though. Followed him for a mile or so into some thick stuff and lost him

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Keep at it Casey! Looking forward to seeing your hard earned work in form of a big grin behind a nice muley!

OP
CaseyU

CaseyU

WKR
Saw another big buck tonight but let's just say it was a little windy. And I'm talking legit steady 25 gust to 40. He was with a bunch of does an I could not get in on him with all the eyes but I backed out before I blew the deer out of the country. Big storm coming in tonight. Deer are going to be out tomorrow!!! Thanks dr. I can't wait ;)

OP
CaseyU

CaseyU

WKR
Nope but there was a time or two that I know it would have paid off. Lesson learned

OP
CaseyU

CaseyU

WKR
Windy and sunny. Not looking promising. But I would rather be lucky than good!!! Going to head to the same drainage they were holding in yesterday afternoon when it was rippin. These deer are not rutting. Not sure what is going on! Bucks are following the does but not pushing them! Sorry for the lack of pics I have been in buck mode and forget about the camera. Haha

c5mrr270

WKR
I saw the same thing in Utah this week, it was weird. I watched a buck scent check at least 8 does and then keep on moving to the next group.

OP
CaseyU

CaseyU

WKR
Well tonight I got a case of the public land blues!!! Went into the same area as yesterday and found out there was some hunters that crippled a buck and it dove into private. The landowner gave them permission. We got up to a glassing spot and found the deer. The guys walked up to us and told us about the Buck which is in the bottom if a drainage on the other side of the ridge I want to hunt. we take off up the hill to get around where I want to get on these deer and as I get there. One of the guys is there and just wacked a buck. I'm happy for him and it was on public land. Which is the way it goes. That turned the hunt into an early end for the day. Dollar short and a minute late... What are you gonna do!