PA late season archery

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
Can’t believe it but I still got my buck tag as rifle season comes to an end in PA. Been hunting public land, never hunted with the bow after Christmas.

Any tips for late season archery? I’ve heard evenings are best bet over mornings. And thinking I’ll just sit tight some thick bedding? Gonna be checking cams / moving them around next few weeks to see what I can pick up. Appreciate any tips from guys who’ve been successful late season.

Yoder

WKR
We just got some snow. That's about the best way to figure out what's going on. I'm hoping for more in the next few weeks.

RMM

WKR
FOOD. Bucks are worn down from the rut and will be seeking the most calorie dense foods they can find to survive winter.

PMcGee

WKR
I hunted a good bit last year in the late season. Saw more buck than doe. I only had a doe tag left. Seemed like the young bucks were grouped back up. With the amount of acorns this year it might be tough. Cut cornfields are good if you can find one to hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
westonhoma

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted a good bit last year in the late season. Saw more buck than doe. I only had a doe tag left. Seemed like the young bucks were grouped back up. With the amount of acorns this year it might be tough. Cut cornfields are good if you can find one to hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
10-4. Im in SW PA on public land. Not much ag around the public. Gonna maybe find some small patches of green up / browse close to cover if i can. Ill keep an eye out for any mast crop still around too for sure

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
It’s already been touched on so all I’m doing it echoing everyone else, but find the food and you should be in the game. Snow helps to narrow down their travel corridors and exactly where they are feeding. Good luck and have fun. I still have 2 doe tags but not sure if I’ll get out to fill them.

OP
westonhoma

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate the advice! Ill be scouting around for the food for sure. Hope we get some snow soon. Thanks guys!

OP
westonhoma

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
How did you make out late season?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tough man. Just lots of does/fawns , had a hard time getting on bucks. Even my cameras didnt show much besides one scrape i freshed up with buck fever after Christmas. He daylight in the evening on 1/3 then came back 1/6 with his antlers off. I actually spent some time on the ground with the bow which was cool. Made a couple stalks on deer i saw at distance and got close enough only to confirm they were does. It was nice just getting a few reps doing that at least

I tagged out late season. Nice wide 7 which would have been an 8 but broke a brow sometime within a week prior that I got to lay eyes on him and had a successful spot and stalk hunt on a doe when we had high winds on the Saturday before last day.

OP
westonhoma

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
I tagged out late season. Nice wide 7 which would have been an 8 but broke a brow sometime within a week prior that I got to lay eyes on him and had a successful spot and stalk hunt on a doe when we had high winds on the Saturday before last day.
Heck yeah man congrats! Late season is tough. Awesome u had a successful stalk too. I may incorporate it more next year I think it’s fun if conditions r right

Appreciate it. It s tough. I’m very selective when I go in. I knew where this buck was. Glassed him a couple times after Christmas from a high ridge with the right wind and knew how to get to him. We had high winds and I was in a crick bottom for the stalk. Water was high from heavy rains so it added more noise. Perfect conditions to stalk into the wind into a bedroom. Truly feel blessed.

OP
westonhoma

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate it. It s tough. I’m very selective when I go in. I knew where this buck was. Glassed him a couple times after Christmas from a high ridge with the right wind and knew how to get to him. We had high winds and I was in a crick bottom for the stalk. Water was high from heavy rains so it added more noise. Perfect conditions to stalk into the wind into a bedroom. Truly feel blessed.
For sure man. Sounds like the perfect storm. I think thats key in the late season, scouting more than u hunt is always important but in late szn i think its even more so with the bucks not on their feet as much