Boot Month: Review Salomon Quest GTX by Brock Akers

IaTrent

Lil-Rokslider
Great review. I'm have scheduled my first Western hunt in 2015 and this is a review I have been looking for. We don't get too detailed here in the Mid West for footwear.

DWinVA

WKR
Nice write up.

After a lot of research over the winter I bought these for my elk hunt next fall. I've trained in them, chased spring gobblers, and have most of our fall/winter deer season here in VA on them and couldn't be happier. I have no idea how many miles I have on them, how do you guys keep track of that? But for eastern hunting and my 7 day elk hunt in CO I think they will be perfect. I actually picked up a pair of brown ones cheap off Ebay. I think these are one of the better boots to catch on sale if you don't get in a hurry.

God Bless.

Ironman8

WKR
Brock,

Nice review. Wondering what other boots you have tried as a frame of reference? Is this the closest you've come to the "perfect boot"?

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Brock,

Nice review. Wondering what other boots you have tried as a frame of reference? Is this the closest you've come to the "perfect boot"?

The only other boot that I have this many miles in would be some Danner Pronghorns and the Asolo Fugitives. I have tried other boots but either didn't like them in the store or returned them after 1 or 2 hikes. So far this is the closest when it comes to comfort. Durability is still something I am looking for, given the amount of time I spend in my boots.

Just got a pair yesterday from Amazon. Started out at about $161.00, then I found a coupon for another 30% off. Ended up being $114.87 to my door. Can't wait to get them broke in and test them in Colorado next year.

Ironman8

WKR
The only other boot that I have this many miles in would be some Danner Pronghorns and the Asolo Fugitives. I have tried other boots but either didn't like them in the store or returned them after 1 or 2 hikes. So far this is the closest when it comes to comfort. Durability is still something I am looking for, given the amount of time I spend in my boots.

I'm actually wearing a pair of Fugitives right now. Had them for three years and only just recently started to leak this season on my Idaho elk hunt (go figure). I've hiked and hunted in them and wear them to work just about every day (construction sites), though I'm sure I don't use them as hard as you do. That said, this the first pair of quality bots I've owned so I don't have a lot to compare them to. As much as I like them, I'm looking for a possibly "better" boot. My only real gripe with them is breathability.

Where did the Fugitives fail for you?
And have you tried the Lowa Ranger/Tibet/Cevedale? Any Salewa models?

(We can take this to PM if need be)

BillyGoatGruff

Lil-Rokslider
Nice review,

I needed a new pair of boots for my mountain goat hunt this year(http://www.rokslide.com/forums/show...ints-went-from-15-to-0-Colorado-G13!-whoo-hoo!) and decided on the Salomons because they are pretty light and a little stiff but not too stiff. Especially after break in.

The first time I wore these boots other than around the house was a 10 mi back pack scouting trip in goat country. No blisters, no hot spots no nothing.
Most comfortable boot I've ever owned! I also picked up a extra pair on black Friday just to put in the closet for when these wear out.
Great boot!

BGG

DWinVA

WKR
I failed to mention I'm still using the stock insoles. Do aftermarket insoles really make that much of a difference?

God Bless.

Tiger Rag

WKR
I use my pair of Solomon's primarily as a work out shoe. Great ankle support, similar to athletic shoe construction. Light hiking in them for me otherwise. If I'm going to put a pack on my back I've got other heavier boots that I'm going to choose before this boot, however It can do some light backpacking. Maybe for some lighter weight hunters it'll do more than it will for me. I do like this boot though. Pretty comfortable and surprisingly good ankle support.

Good write up, but I am going to say that these boots tore my feet up as bad or worse than a pair of my issued army boots. I tried switching insole, socks, lacing techniques and nothing made them work for me. I had planned on replacing my six year old Asolo's after the sole had come off for the second time. However, I returned these and looked for another boot. Currently I am wearing a pair of Meindl Denali's and have had them for three years, hunting for two seasons in Washington a trip to Montana and now Kansas. So far this is one of the best boots I've ever worn.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm actually wearing a pair of Fugitives right now. Had them for three years and only just recently started to leak this season on my Idaho elk hunt (go figure). I've hiked and hunted in them and wear them to work just about every day (construction sites), though I'm sure I don't use them as hard as you do. That said, this the first pair of quality bots I've owned so I don't have a lot to compare them to. As much as I like them, I'm looking for a possibly "better" boot. My only real gripe with them is breathability.

Where did the Fugitives fail for you?
And have you tried the Lowa Ranger/Tibet/Cevedale? Any Salewa models?

(We can take this to PM if need be)

The fugitives haven't failed me but they are a stiff shank and my feet ache after a few days. I tried the Cevedale on at rei and there was a noticeably painful area where the top of my foot and my shin met. If that makes sense.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good write up, but I am going to say that these boots tore my feet up as bad or worse than a pair of my issued army boots. I tried switching insole, socks, lacing techniques and nothing made them work for me. I had planned on replacing my six year old Asolo's after the sole had come off for the second time. However, I returned these and looked for another boot. Currently I am wearing a pair of Meindl Denali's and have had them for three years, hunting for two seasons in Washington a trip to Montana and now Kansas. So far this is one of the best boots I've ever worn.
My hunting partner Travis was in the same boat. They destroyed his feet. I kept telling him he was a pussy until he showed me his feet, lol.

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nice review Brock! I have not tried the Quest or any of Salomon's other boots, but I have worn the Salomon Speedcross 3 trail runners almost exclusively for summer backpack and pack rafting trips over the last 5 years and been very impressed. I also use the XR Mission running shoes to exercise, and have another pair I wear to work (as a nurse) for 12+ hour shifts on my feet. Salomon makes quality footwear, I have never been disappointed with any of their products so I imagine the Quest would be no different, at least as a "light hiker" goes.

For those that asked about insoles, I think they do make a lot of difference, particularly in footwear without a stiff shank. The stock insole that comes with most tennis shoes and boots is thin and flimsy...really nothing more than a thin cushion to protect your feet from the seams in the bottom of the shoe. After market insoles can provide increased ridgidity and support, as well as cushion. They can also add volume. I notice a huge difference in the amount of support I get backpacking with a 50+lb pack with green or pink (ladies equivalent to men's orange) superfeet in my Salomon trail runners. The shoes themself have a flexible sole which offers no real torsional ridgidity to speak of. The addition of a stiffer insole makes the shoes a lot more comfortable for hiking long distances, especially with a heavy pack. I have noticed enough difference that I routinely replace the insoles with superfeet or sole insoles whenever I buy new shoes for work or exercise.

My hunting partner Travis was in the same boat. They destroyed his feet. I kept telling him he was a pussy until he showed me his feet, lol.

I think this illustrates an important point, that footwear can be a very individual thing. Regardless of quality, what fits one person well might not work at all for another depending on their specific anatomy and also on their use (or abuse)of a particular product. Great that we all have a lot of options, and can get what works for each of us individually.

Brendan

WKR
I think this illustrates an important point, that footwear can be a very individual thing. Regardless of quality, what fits one person well might not work at all for another depending on their specific anatomy and also on their use (or abuse)of a particular product. Great that we all have a lot of options, and can get what works for each of us individually.

100% agree with this. I had a pair of Scarpa Triolet's (which are a fantastic boot) that just ended up not working out for me. For me, I had to over tighten them to the point of foot cramps to keep my toes from slamming the front of the boot. Tried multiple sizes to no avail. I think the best thing you can do is buy a pair from a very reputable seller, or one with a no questions asked return policy,

So, great review, one of the key areas I'm spending some serious time looking at for next season.

(Anyone looking for 11.5 Triolet's with 2 weeks of abuse on them - PM me)