THE CAVE BEAR by 325 wsm

325 wsm

FNG
In 2012 I had the pleasure of guiding Don Seay of Texas on a moose hunt. He flew into the lake I was situated at and the next day we began our quest. Within 2 days we hadnt found any decent bulls and Don was having a bit of a hard time dealing with the style of hunting that it took for this particular location. After a bit more planning we had the plane come and get us to take us to a new location where we could hunt a river by jet boat.
On our 2nd morning there we were heading down river still searching for a big bull. As we rounded a corner not a mile from our docking location I spotted a grizzly on a small heavily treed cut bank. With no option to do a stalk in the thick black spruce all I could do was cut the engine, lift the leg and hope we could get a shot as we drifted by. When I cut the engine the grizzly looked at us from a 150 yds downstream, rose up on his hind legs then turned around and sauntered into the forest. Dissapointed I fired up the engine and we began idling farther downstream after a bull.
Well damned if just 2 more corners downstream I didnt spot another Grizzly on the other side of the river. Now we were in the section of the river where the valley really opened up and the wind was blowing heavily downstream on our backs. I once again cut the engine and we drifted by the bear about 200 yds away to a little back eddy channel where I docked the boat. The bear still had no idea we were there and except for a small water crossing we had an easy time to get set up for a shot only 125 yds downwind. At the first shot the bear spun and bit at where the bullet had entered, and another shot put him down immediately.
Usually when you walk up to a bear there is ground shrinkage. This one was just the opposite. Everytime we looked at it or another part of it it just kept getting bigger.

here is Don with his bear.

a couple pics of me with the bear.

Don is 6ft 2... here he is with the skull

Here is the skull next to a B&C 21 inch black bear skull.
Not usually one to talk about books & #s to much but this one deserves it.
So here goes the #s from B&C
18. 26 10/16 Kluane River, YT Donnie B. Seay Donnie B. Seay 2012 15

It is ranked # 15, tied with 4 others, and is the 4th largest ever hunted in Canada, also as a note the next one in the book that comes from the Yukon is ranked somewhere around 200
This was a very old bear, all skin and bones, I estimated the weight at a bit more than 500 lbs. Hide squared 8 ft 2inches.

OP
325 wsm

325 wsm

FNG
I have called in lots of big black bears on the spring hunts in B.C. but in the Yukon grizzly is generally just hunted when you are lucky enough to spot 1. Eventually I will post a bunch of pics and maybe some stories of the big black bears I have guided.

OP
325 wsm

325 wsm

FNG
I found out today that the biologist aged this bear at 20 yrs old. I thought it would be closer to 30.