Idaho Spring Bear

Hey Everyone, a group of friends & I were planning a spring bear trip into the breaks of the salmon river near the gospel hump wilderness. We have access planned by boat. The questions is it worth it to head out opening day the 1st of April? Ive read mixed opinions and was wondering if anyone had a say on if we should wait till later april or strike out on opening day!

Thanks! Hope you all have succesful hunts this year!

Dont know the specific area, but in general id say slow your roll. I do see a little bear activity in early april every year is low elevation, early greenup areas, but not enough to warrant taking time for a hunting trip.

pugwylde

FNG
All depends on snow. Last year, the snow hung on forever and seemed to push everything later. If you've got southern faces that are clear, you might have a chance, but it's always a gamble to go too early.

pugwylde

FNG
Snow is almost non existent in the Clearwater this year.
The only thing that I'll say to that is yet. North Idaho has been unnaturally dry, but Idaho has taught me that it doesn't take much for that to change. If last year is any indication, I'd say wait until the end of February to start making plans.

wowzers

Lil-Rokslider
The only thing that I'll say to that is yet. North Idaho has been unnaturally dry, but Idaho has taught me that it doesn't take much for that to change. If last year is any indication, I'd say wait until the end of February to start making plans.
True. Few years ago it was like this in January then snowed everyday of February. Normally I have at least a foot of snow in my yard, if not a couple and right now I’ve barely got a skiff. I’m looking at the Gosprls right now from my kitchen window and they are pretty bare too. Winter does seem to have shifted later and later.

I would wait a few weeks. Like others have stated. The bear I shot a few years back was in mid May.

But it was a heavy snow year that season. Go check out the town of Stanley it will be a great place to get dinner if you get burnt out eating mountain houses.

We are hoping to go in mid may to give it a shot. It will be our first bear trip. Any tips would be appreciated.

OP
loganjames43
My sister in law took this picture a few years ago. That sow threw some really cool colored cubs for years. We haven’t seen her in a couple years so she might be past tense now.
awesome looking bears! last year spooked a massive cinnamoin bear while using the restroom camping on the imnaha was probaly 15 yards from it. Left my rifle on my truck bed :(. The other mishap was last year up near elk city at my grandparents place hunted all day locally just for my grandparents to tell me a bear was on their front porch for a while! Funny how things like this happen, dont even get me started on elk....

dylsdad

FNG
Dont know the specific area, but in general id say slow your roll. I do see a little bear activity in early april every year is low elevation, early greenup areas, but not enough to warrant taking time for a hunting trip.
weather is different this year....
little snowpack may make things pop sooner