Lightweight axe/hatchet?

bhylton

WKR
Hey folks,

Does anyone carry a lightweight axe or hatchet on their backpack hunting trips? I like being able to split wood for fires, especially if its wet out. Any good, lightweight options out there?

TheHardWay

Lil-Rokslider
I have a stubby handled Fiskars hatchet I carry. It has about a 6 or 8" handle. I don't know if they make it any more though???? Looking at their website, they shortest one they have is 14". It is nice and compact to fit in my pack and is great for splitting wood, as you mentioned, as well as splitting pelvis' and hacking off tail bones on an elk or deer.

I have a Gerber that goes about 25oz. It is the hatchet with the saw version. They have a couple more versions that include the bear grilles version that go down to 20oz or so. Fiskars makes many of the gerbers.

Mine has a dozen trips on it. Holding up very well.

huntinrod

Lil-Rokslider
You can put some work into a Vaughan sounding hatchet and around 20 bucks for a nifty one pound hatchet....or cough up 130 bucks for a Gransfors Bruks mini hatchet....both excellent. I have used both on elk.

charvey9

WKR
I've toyed with the idea of getting one to split bone and ribs, but never carried one.

This Ti-KLAX from Klecker Knives is pretty sweet if you've got the coin to throw at a hatchet....but that's a bit much for me.
http://www.kleckerknives.com/ti-klax/

I think the best budget route might be something like the Gerber Myth Hatchet for under $50. I think you could lighten it up a bit more by cutting off the rubber grip and drilling some more holes in the handle and then take some of that paracord you are already carrying in your pack to wrap a new handle. You are still looking at probably 11-12oz though. Certainly wouldn't be for anything heavy duty but could probably split a little wood and help with butchering.

http://www.gerbergear.com/Hunting/Gear/Myth-Hatchet_31-002698

Of course, an axe that is too light kind of defeats the purpose since it will not be very efficient in chopping.

OP
bhylton

bhylton

WKR
I have seen those KLAX deals. those would be awesome if they were not so darn expensive. Would love one of the bruks mini hatchets if they were not so much money :) love my bruks small forest axe but its a little much to carry around (24 or 25in handle)

RCA Dog

Lil-Rokslider
I carry the smallest Wetterlings they make, I think it has a 10 inch handle, and I think it weighs 30 ounces or something like that. It's heavy, but I love it.

muleman

WKR
I have picked up a couple Gransfor Bruk small hatchets from L.L. Bean on great sales with free shipping. Fantastic tools!

land cruiser

Lil-Rokslider
Typically when backpacking I steer clear of any additional weight I can avoid. I have carried Gransfors Bruks Wildlife Hatchet but found it less than beneficial for fire duty. A larger knife such as Dozier Pro Guide will accomplish just as much and weigh less.

Next step up (GB SFA or Council Velvicut) would do it all, but you better need it, because your back is going to hate you for bringing them along:)

OP
bhylton

bhylton

WKR
thanks for the input everyone. I will have to try some axes out during spring bear here in MT :)

Take-a-knee

Banned
Typically when backpacking I steer clear of any additional weight I can avoid. I have carried Gransfors Bruks Wildlife Hatchet but found it less than beneficial for fire duty. A larger knife such as Dozier Pro Guide will accomplish just as much and weigh less.

Love my Wildlife Hatchet. Never carry it. I agree that a six-inch knife you can baton with, and maybe a small folding saw are a lighter and safer choice. If I was going to buy a hatchet today, the Gransfors Brux Outdoor Axe would be my pick

http://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/products/forest-axes/gransfors-outdoor-axe/

Ed T

Lil-Rokslider
+1 on the Gannsfors Wildlife Hatchet not a lot heavier than the Mini but lots more useful.

muleman

WKR
I have picked up a couple Gransfor Bruk small hatchets

I actually have the Wildlife Hatchet and the Small Forest Axe and not the Small Hatchet. I have used the Small Forest Axe more. Both are great tools when needed.

OP
bhylton

bhylton

WKR
on their website is the weight they list just the weight of the head? or the entire thing? Ya muleman, i love my small forest axe. just a tad big

OP
bhylton

bhylton

WKR
What do they guys with tipi stoves use to split wood, or do you?

Ed T

Lil-Rokslider
I'll often pack my GB Outdoors Ax. Especially if it been really wet. Other time a small Silky Saw and affixed blade knife.

I think 2lbs is the magic number. Under that and your better off with a knife/saw as the axe is too light/small to be an effeciant tool.

I carry my GB hunters axe all the time now and it makes quick work of the occasional round left behind by trail crews. It also makes quick work of processing standing dead trees. I carry it on my belt and also use it a lot chopping thru deadheads across the trail. No more bushwhacking around.