What's your pregame food look like?

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
This came up in another thread, and I thought it was worth discussing.

Perhaps this should be a separate thread but what about "pre-game" meals? Aside from a corndog (which we all know is the key to outstanding mountain performance) what do you all like to eat before heading out like the day prior? Or, do you just keep it the same and load up once the hiking begins.

I am kind of torn on this because I can see the benefit of carbing up hours or the day before maybe but at the same point I don't want to load myself down. Even worse, I don't want to throw my body out of whack as those mid-mountain stomach gurgles are never fun.

OP
Becca

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am the queen of rationalizing, and I feel like for many years I almost negated the positive effects of an active lifestyle by rationalizing high calorie junk food before and after trips. One memorable trip I ate half a box of donuts and orange juice for breakfast, and literally had to will myself not to puke for the first few hours of the pack in. NOT fun! Now I try to keep it to some variation of what I would regularly eat, but maybe a bit more of it. And I still might have a celebratory bacon cheese burger and fries at the end of a backpack trip, but its only one meal and then back to a regular healthy lifestyle. None of this "I just hiked for a week and can eat whatever I want" for a week afterwards. Junk food truly makes me feel like crap, especially over time, and doesn't motivate me to hunt or hike harder.

I think for me, the perfect pregame meal would be a good breakfast with a mix protein and carbs, while staying away from super greasy stuff. Like an omelette with veggies, cheese and lean meat. Maybe hashbrowns for a little splurge (I don't usually eat them), or whole wheat toast.

Luke doesn't seem as prone to this as I am, but anyone who spends any time with him will tell you he is weird about food anyway. He is kind of a non eater, so I don't expect his pregame meal of corndogs will change anytime soon. I did make some homemade ones this year with caribou sausage, and they are baked instead of fried so maybe that's an improvement.

my last pregame meal was a corndog, a rockstar, and keystone ice for din, then hashbrown and sausage for breakfast. i def. need to improve here

luke moffat

Super Moderator
my last pregame meal was a corndog, a rockstar, and keystone ice for din, then hashbrown and sausage for breakfast. i def. need to improve here

No shame in that man....eating a corndog enroute to the trailhead is formula for success IMO. :D

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been known to put down a large pizza solo for a pre game meal. That's mostly because I eat pretty healthy all the time and I tell myself I can splurge on a piece or two. Then I say I can have one more since Ill be hiking all week. Then one more, then one more. Then I just say "to hell with it, I am this far, might as well finish it." instantly regret it every time.

I should mention this is thin crust type pizza haha

Moe.JKU

FNG
Usually stop for brunch at a diner on the way in. Last year shnitzels, bacon, mushrooms, mash potatoes, corn, slaw, and gravy. Then i grab a protein drink right before i leave the jeep slam it, drink of water, and cope for the walk.

colonel00

WKR
Interesting. I figured there would be a bunch of responses in this thread with calculated meal plans before a trip and all of that as much as everyone seems to analyze everything else. I'm not hating though. I love a good corn dog as much as the next guy. Actually here is our pregame meal that my buddy is chowing down on before a muley hunt a couple years ago.

IMAG0664.jpg

Daniel_M

WKR
As long as yer not packin a block of concrete in yer guts I imagine anythin that breaks down easy for fuel would work well.

littlebuf

Banned
I usually hit a sub way on the way to the trail. Italian bmt loaded with veggies is pretty standard. Justin tried to get me to stop at a taco bell on the way to the rokslide hike but I told him I only packed a half roll of toilet paper

For me it's usually a bowl of cold cereal and milk woofed down at 4:00 am before climbing in the truck. Usually not a lot of restaurants between the house and the trailhead / airport. If I have a chance, it usually something along the lines of a Denver Omelet.

"Post game" though.... The camp rule last year was that the person that expended more that two rounds / moose had to buy the rest of the camp Haagen Daz ice cream when we got back. As it turned out, I burned through a couple magazines on grizzlies, but was given a free pass on those and ate my cousins ice cream.

Yk

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I usually hit a sub way on the way to the trail. Italian bmt loaded with veggies is pretty standard. Justin tried to get me to stop at a taco bell on the way to the rokslide hike but I told him I only packed a half roll of toilet paper

Thats why I call it Taco Hell...

I had a coach long ago that said your pregame meal should be similar to what you normally eat (within reason) so as not to throw any surprises at your GI tract on game day. I have always followed that advise and thus my pregame meal before a trip isn't much different than normal. Often it is a turkey sub sandwich while on the way to the trail head.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had a coach long ago that said your pregame meal should be similar to what you normally eat (within reason) so as not to throw any surprises at your GI tract on game day. I have always followed that advise and thus my pregame meal before a trip isn't much different than normal. Often it is a turkey sub sandwich while on the way to the trail head.

Yep, that's where my "Instant regret" comes into play.

littlebuf

Banned
No way Doritois Locos Tacos are awesome!!!

they truly are, and 2 am after closing down a bar I can kill a solid half dozen of um plus a chalupa or 3. but I aint doing that and then shakin it up real good on a 5 mile up hill. no way

luke moffat

Super Moderator
they truly are, and 2 am after closing down a bar I can kill a solid half dozen of um plus a chalupa or 3. but I aint doing that and then shakin it up real good on a 5 mile up hill. no way

I like your style littlebuf!!!

Pretty hard to beat a Bagel stacked with cream cheese, Salami, and Prescuito, followed by and Endo Rush energy Drink... Go all day on the Combo!