What's your tripod weigh?

Been through several tripods and have been using a Sirui T-024 with VA5 for the last couple years and its a pretty great tripod. Weighs 44.7oz on my scale, is very stable when sitting (which is 95% of my glassing), decently stable while standing, and I can glass standing up with binos if I bend down just a tiny bit. Wouldn't want to do it for hours, but it works. Only thing I don't like it how wide the leg hinge area is when its folded up.

But I'm always looking to upgrade everything, so I recently "upgraded" to a different tripod.. It's built like a tank, is more stable when extended (its about equal when sitting), extends higher and I can glass while standing without bending down, and is a little smaller diameter when packed (about the same length).. the only problem is that it weighs 56.5oz... 12oz heavier than my current setup.

I can't decide which to keep.. it's no doubt a better tripod, but unsure if its necessary and worth the extra weight. But I think guys regularly carry tripods that are heavier than 56oz, so maybe it's not overkill? Until now, I think all of the gear I've upgraded has gotten lighter than the thing it was replacing, so this feels like maybe isn't as much of an upgrade.

I believe in using the right tool for the job. I enjoy having a very stable view more than I am uncomfortable carrying the additional weight. Since you asked, I think mine is about 4.5 lbs including a VA-5 head. It's such a joy to use for many hours with a Kowa 883. I see a lot more game with that setup.

Valumpessa

Lil-Rokslider
Slik 634 with Wiser Precision pan head. Right at 2.5 lbs. It extends tall enough that I can glass with binos or straight spotter while standing. I'm happy with it as a lightweight, versitile setup.

I went on a bit of a tripod journey and posted it here. Weights are in there for several popular set ups, ultralite to “heavy”.

I carry a RRS TFC-34L with BH-55SCLR head. It is not light by any stretch but it gets packed. My binos, spotter, and rifle can interchange within seconds

Cannonball

Lil-Rokslider
Ive got 2 setups

Sirui T-024sk + smallrig = 38.3oz
Sirui ST124 + VA5 = 56.8oz

If I put the smallrig head on the ST124 its slightly heavier than the T-024sk with the VA5 (my original setup) but is beefier and more stable. the smallrig head is a lot lighter than the VA5, so you may want to look at that option with your new tripod.

I have been using a bog gun vise on top of the ST124 and VA5 lately for plinking but wouldnt want to pack that whole setup.

Last edited: