Weight Loss For Hunting in 2024

If your like me, you may have recently reached down to tie on you snake boots and realized how hard it was to breather down there with all that gut in the middle of you! this wasn't the end either, that same day I walked a short distance into my plot and climbed my ladder stand just to feel winded. I was done after that Christmas and thanksgiving was fat and happy, but I can't keep going like this. My dad, brother and I are hoping to go Elk hunting for the first time this year and I don't want to ruing it by having no endurance. I've started running and lifting again to try and help build progress. I don't think of this as a New Years resolution since those tend to be basically useless, but as a "I don’t wan't to feel terrible anymore plan". I'm giving myself 3 month to see just how much of 30lbs I can shed off and want to post the results here whether I make it or not. If you are in the same boat, why don’t you join me below. Leave a comment and set a real goal. Stop feeling terrible all the time, and tie your shoes with full lungs! see y'all in 90 days.

I'm thinking along the same lines and not just because it's New Years. My biggest problem is that my job is terrible for sleep, stress, eating and trying to keep a schedule. I don't work 9-5 like most do. Let's jut say that I have a lot going against me. Which brings me to the biggest obstacle--a plan. What's your plan? It's great that you are using this for accountability, but what else? I need something flexible and not overly strict. I don't want to be back here next year trying to do the same thing over again after I failed some rigid plan.

chris

You don’t need some crazy detailed plan or fad diet… Just eat a bit healthier. Lay off the soda and sugar. Get out and move around with a purpose once per day. Watch the weight fall off.
That probably works, but not for everyone. Or at least it's not gonna work for me. I need to set some parameters and have some system. I don't want a fad diet or crazy detailed plan, but it needs to be more specific than, "just eat healthier". I am starting with a 20 day fast from alcohol.

chris

OP
R
I'm thinking along the same lines and not just because it's New Years. My biggest problem is that my job is terrible for sleep, stress, eating and trying to keep a schedule. I don't work 9-5 like most do. Let's jut say that I have a lot going against me. Which brings me to the biggest obstacle--a plan. What's your plan? It's great that you are using this for accountability, but what else? I need something flexible and not overly strict. I don't want to be back here next year trying to do the same thing over again after I failed some rigid plan.

chris
Hey Chris,
I hear you, Im not currently on any crazy plan. I found a quick body weight circuit online, something with some push-ups, crunches, jumping jacks and the like. I do that two to three times and then run a mile. Coming from no exercise, it is plenty at the moment and I may later add on more regimented workouts. I think the biggest thing will always be diet though, you cant outwork eating like garbage as bad as I wish I could. So, mainly I have just stopped not paying attention to what goes into my mouth. Im using my fitness pal to track my calories and stay on a weight loss goal for the day. Its easy enough, just eat meats, eggs, vegetables, rice, and the like. I think the biggest thing i have to remember is that it's not complicated, its just hard. Meaning its not beyond you to do, just have to want to do it bad enough. at least that what I am reminding myself of.

Felix1776

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in. I lost about 30 lbs last year. Went from about 265 (way, WAY too fat for me) to down around 235 (much better but still too fat). I've put a few lbs back on so I've got to get back on the wagon. I should really be down around 205. I've been overweight to some degree almost my entire life. I'm pushing 40 and I'm seeing family members dying off from diabetes complications and heart problems. Just lost an uncle last week. Frankly, I'm tired of this shit. Going on a hike right now. BRB.

OP
R
As someone who lost 40lbs and has kept it off, don't get me wrong, I gain and loose weight yearly.
Stop making excuses and follow a plan, I'm not saying its easy, but nothing worth having is.
I wish everyone the best on there journey.
Thanks, Werty.
I have lost this much several times, but always manage to put it back on. You are right, a plan is usually the best route in my opinion, helps give. a structure for accountability. Congrats on your journey!

OP
R
I'm in. I lost about 30 lbs last year. Went from about 265 (way, WAY too fat for me) to down around 235 (much better but still too fat). I've put a few lbs back on so I've got to get back on the wagon. I should really be down around 205.
Nice!
I hope you lay it to it man! I also lost thirty last year, but my problem is that at some point i always tend to revert back to normal life and put it back. I'm hoping my desire to hunt more effectively, as well as just live better, will help me to push forward continually this year!

Felix1776

Lil-Rokslider
Nice!
I hope you lay it to it man! I also lost thirty last year, but my problem is that at some point i always tend to revert back to normal life and put it back. I'm hoping my desire to hunt more effectively, as well as just live better, will help me to push forward continually this year!
That's my story as well. I feel like an alcoholic sometimes who's constantly battling back and forth between drinking and sobriety. I'll get my act together for a while, get fitter, and lose some weight and inevitably fall back into bad habits.

I'm not sure if it will help, but I did do a Masterclass from the guy who wrote Atomic Habits. I thought it was pretty good. One thing he had that really struck me was that he has a "never twice" rule for himself. So, he can miss a scheduled workout one day, but he doesn't allow himself to do it twice. I think that is something I have done. Once you start down that road you just throw up your hands and say, "Well who cares! I've already screwed it up this far. How bad can it get?". That has been me for a lot of years. I went from running marathons, to a knee injury, to not stepping foot in a gym for five years. Talk about all or nothing. And now I am rambling.....

Felix1776

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not sure if it will help, but I did do a Masterclass from the guy who wrote Atomic Habits. I thought it was pretty good. One thing he had that really struck me was that he has a "never twice" rule for himself. So, he can miss a scheduled workout one day, but he doesn't allow himself to do it twice. I think that is something I have done. Once you start down that road you just throw up your hands and say, "Well who cares! I've already screwed it up this far. How bad can it get?". That has been me for a lot of years. I went from running marathons, to a knee injury, to not stepping foot in a gym for five years. Talk about all or nothing. And now I am rambling.....
The thing about me is I'm actually a gym rat. Just a gym rat with crappy eating habits apparently. I've been obsessed with the gym for almost 25 years at this point. I rarely ever miss workouts. My struggles are and have always been in the kitchen.

The thing about me is I'm actually a gym rat. Just a gym rat with crappy eating habits apparently. I've been obsessed with the gym for almost 25 years at this point. I rarely ever miss workouts. My struggles are and have always been in the kitchen.
I guess we are similar then. When I was running and doing triathlons I ate like crap, but you would never know it because I worked out enough that I never gained weight. Then I had a knee injury which sidelined me and well, the rest is history. I call those times 30 pounds ago.

chris

Felix1776

Lil-Rokslider
I guess we are similar then. When I was running and doing triathlons I ate like crap, but you would never know it because I worked out enough that I never gained weight. Then I had a knee injury which sidelined me and well, the rest is history. I call those times 30 pounds ago.

chris
I know exactly. I've never been a big cardio guy really. Always been a lifter of some kind of another. Had a herniated lumbar disc in my late 20s, which set me WAY back. Ironically, it wasn't from lifting. I blame it more on taking a desk job. Never had issues with my back and then about 6 months after taking that job, I started having problems. It's been constant set backs ever since.

EJDXT21

Lil-Rokslider
I would suggest the Whole 30 plan. You can get the book on Amazon or your local book store, maybe even library. It is not easy. You're pretty much guaranteed to lose weight, but it is not a weight loss plan. The idea is to "detox" your body, then slowly introduce food to identify what specific foods/ingredients your body does not like.
While the 30 days is important, I would say the re-introduction phase after is the most important part. If you don't do that right, its very hard to identify what your body doesn't like. And if you continue with those items, then you'll wind up back at square one.

Couple of things to note.
It is a complete lifestyle change in regards to what you put in your body. Most likely, you will either have to throw away a lot of food/drink/ingredients, then restock, or finish what you have then start the plan.
It is also important to READ the book first so you can prepare and know exactly what you can and can't have.
Meal prepping is your friend. Snacks such as dried fruit and Lara bars are your friend. It is hard to find restaurants that are whole 30 compliant. You never know what goes on in a kitchen you have no control of. So unless you can order something simple like a salad with oil and vinegar or veggies/meat cooked in certain oils/fats, or the restaurant has a whole 30 menu, then be prepared to bring your own food.

I usually try to do a whole 30 at the beginning of every year just to kind of reset. I've done 3 so far. The first one was the only one where I had significant weight loss.

1704221472216.png

I am starting the carnivore diet on January 9th and will do it for 6 weeks. I do it every year in January and will lose around 20lbs in the 6 weeks and feel fantastic. It is not sustainable longer than the 6 weeks for me. I like to cook too much for it to work long-term. I am preparing for a spring bear hunt in AZ in April.

Felix1776

Lil-Rokslider
I am starting the carnivore diet on January 9th and will do it for 6 weeks. I do it every year in January and will lose around 20lbs in the 6 weeks and feel fantastic. It is not sustainable longer than the 6 weeks for me. I like to cook too much for it to work long-term. I am preparing for a spring bear hunt in AZ in April.
I've researched the carnivore thing a few different times, but I think it's just too restrictive for me. A low carb, atkins-esque diet seems to work pretty well for me.