Wall tent condensation with propane heater?

OP
Gumbo

Gumbo

WKR
I'd buy, rent or borrow another tent. Your friend's a fool for not letting you install a jack for him. Maybe he's a tool. I dunno...they are hard to tell apart.

He's my father-in-law, not my friend. Tool, Fool, either works depending on the day. Actually he's a great guy, he is just really particular about stuff.

We had an old army tent a gp medium 16'x32'. Our one friend (yeah we all have that guy in our group) is always cold no matter what so he brings his super big propane heater with a 100# cylinder because we will be in the tent a week in northern Michigan in mid November. The first time he turns it on( after we all told him not to) it literally starts raining in the tent. He thought it was actually raining out and right away starts complaining about the weather. We had to open the doors to show him it was his heater because he didn't believe us

Hahahahahaha.....Land Googan!

oldgoat

WKR
Do you have one for both CO2 and CO? I'm preparing to camp in the back of my topper covered bed this fall, and coming from a warmer climate, I'm considering a heat source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just get a small lantern for the back of a truck, even the miniature backpacking ones that run the same fuel canisters as a backpacking stove will take the chill off nicely!

oldgoat

WKR
I am borrowing my father-in-law's wall tent for an eastern Montana safari this fall with a couple buddies. Problem is it doesn't have a hole for a stove and he won't let me get one installed. I am aware that propane will cause some condensation because water and carbon dioxide are created in its combustion. If I go with a Mr. Buddy heater how much can I expect if I run it on low all night? What about on high? FYI I don't plan on running it much unless it gets really cold, probably just before bed and again in the morning.

Thanks!

I've used a Buddy Heater for years in pop up canvas jumping Jack trailer with no serious condensation issues at all! Just make SURE, if you use a bulk tank which you will want to do, buy their bulk tank filter or you WILL RUIN your heater. And all of a sudden when you really need it, it won't work, TRUST me on this!

packer58

WKR
Carbon Monoxide is a byproduct of combustion and as everyone should know is a tasteless, odorless deadly gas. If your going to run any propane appliance in an enclosed space like a wall tent (which i have for 30 + years) just be smart about it. Only run the heater while your awake, take the chill off in the evening and morning. Lets face it, the whole point of being there is to wake up in the morning to go chase bucks or bulls.

AKHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
There is no need to leave a propane stove running all night - you're over thinking it. If your sleeping bag won't keep you warm w/o a stove running then get a warmer sleeping bag. Just use the stove while your awake to dry clothes and hang out in comfort. As for condensation, I don't think it will be an issue, but with that said, wood heat dries clothes MUCH better! The ol man should not be paranoid about installing a stove jack in the wall tent - that's just silly.

oldgoat

WKR
There is no need to leave a propane stove running all night - you're over thinking it. If your sleeping bag won't keep you warm w/o a stove running then get a warmer sleeping bag. Just use the stove while your awake to dry clothes and hang out in comfort. As for condensation, I don't think it will be an issue, but with that said, wood heat dries clothes MUCH better! The ol man should not be paranoid about installing a stove jack in the wall tent - that's just silly.

I'm guessing you never hunted with an old, old lady! Not having the heater on all night isn't an option if it is an option to leave it on all night! Just like now that we've moved to the whole floorless light weight hot tent system, restoking the wood stove after you get up to pee in the night is mandatory!