Floorless Shelter in Snow?

sargent

WKR
Anyone have any advice on getting a taut pitch on a floorless shelter with snow and frozen ground without taking the time to bury dead men or stakes and allowing them to freeze in?

mlob1one

WKR
Anyone have any advice on getting a taut pitch on a floorless shelter with snow and frozen ground without taking the time to bury dead men or stakes and allowing them to freeze in?
MSR has some solutions and REI has some as well. Just depends on the conditions.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Following this one as well. Beat the crap out of my hatchet this winter breaking ice.

Skickat från min G8142 via Tapatalk

Kifaru used to sell what they called sand and tundra pegs.They were essentially about 8" OD aluminum tubing about 20" long.Added considerable weight but worked

Following this one as well. Beat the crap out of my hatchet this winter breaking ice.

Hey for some reason I can't post pics on Rokslide but this is my favorite real bad weather pitch with my DST. I had William Hanson do a couple of modifications for me.Thiis is like a Super tarp but the rear pole is outside and out of the way
8e8e36ebd7fc1cf68a4ee730e5a9646b.jpg
4c7c124b7574f121ec0b8ec749cf28f1.jpg

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Looks cool! I can see already that I would like some mods on mine as well, such as panel tieouts in the middle, and possibly ridegline tieouts. Thats the only thing from keeping it perfect in my book.

mikkel318

Lil-Rokslider
I've used pole barn nails (40D) on ice for winter camping and they hold really well. The drawbacks are they are heavy and don't come out real easy. Kevin at Seekoutside recommended lag bolts and a ratchet handle.

Sheepdog

FNG
when on ice and snow I just use 8" plus long nails. yeah they are heavier but they are also stronger and will go through ice/sand mixes pretty well. The best way I've found to get stakes out of icy ground is to wrap some paracord around them 5-6 times, grab the ends of the cord and deadlift them out. With that cord pulling the nails straight back out of the hole and using your legs you'd be surprised how easy they will come out.