Sheep shelter recommendation

Back on this form scratch my head and looking for advice. Currently running a 5lb 13oz marmot tent. Just got back from a scouting trip and I’m not real fond of packing it around. I’ve been looking around at the new argali, the hyperlite ultramid 2. There’s going to be two of us in this shelter, right now, bugs are a factor which is why I haven’t pulled the trigger in floorless (it was 38 degree the other night so I think this will change come September). My concerns are now with the argali or ultramid handle the conditions above tree line? Big winds and always the potential for snow.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
Only setup in back yard… but definitely fits the bill. Looking forward to using this fall

I'm no shepherd but I think barns are a popular option.

But really, I'd go Argali. Tipi + Nest is a few ounces heavier, but over 1/3 cheaper from a hunting focused company with a good reputation.

redchinviking

Lil-Rokslider
Don’t do the rincon for 2 people. Especially if your large ish people. I like it for one, but more for a bivy type hunt. My last sheep hunt I wished I had the absoroka. Feet/head are too close to walls for a single wall condensation issues. I’m 6’3”… That being said I enjoy it way more than my bivy for a pound. Wind wise it impressed me in a few storms, one of which on a high elevation ridge more exposed than I ever care to be again. I spent most the night staring at my stakes wondering when they would pull out. But they never did. In high winds stake it a little closer to the ground and it will hold up to more wind than I care to experience again.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
A mid sounds like a good approach. Since you’re talking sheep, I assume weight and wind resistance are most important. I’m not sure what you’d need for snow resistance but it seems like a lot of the experienced guys will run dcf mids, and a lot of other people will use a hilleberg like a niak.

I think the most “livable” would be x-mid series from Durston - but those have larger footprints….you can stake the vestibules in to shrink the footprint though.

I think bugs and if you have the need for a liner might steer you a bit? The HMG stuff is obviously top notch, would also look at MLD if you’re looking at mids, already saw Argali pop up in the discussion here.

I agree with others - if hunting a 2p tent likely isn’t large enough to share comfortably…..especially if it’s a mid.

OP
Jackets307
I appreciate all the feedback. The MLD stuff looks top notch but significantly more expensive than the argali. However, would going with the MLD Duomid still create condensation issues and be too tight? Next option up is the Duomid XL

OP
Jackets307
It seems that the best option as far as MLD goes is the SuperMid for two people and gear

MT_Wyatt

WKR
It seems that the best option as far as MLD goes is the SuperMid for two people and gear

Probably. If you really need 2 people I’d look strongly at that x-mid 2p. It’s not terribly expensive in the sil-poly form, just like argali.

Condensation is one of those things you’ll either have to accept/mitigate or use an inner tent. Xmid has the inner like argali. The MLD stuff has nests but I’d probably try to use those with just a bathtub floor or ultralight bivy. I think the northern guys/AK sheep hunters are best to give you feedback on what works best in those environments, I don’t have the experience there to speak to it. I’ve done both styles, and typically prefer an inner.