Lite tents for big guys.

rem338win

FNG
Alright! I'm from Alberta and love the high country. Every year I spend more time hunting from a pack; sheep, elk, mulies, fishing.....

I used a MSR hubba hubba for about 5 years and it was great solo. That said I need more room because I'm hunting more with buds and the two I head out with most aren't small either. We are all between 6'2" and 6'4" and 210-240.

We also tend to get a waaayys back and often successful. I like the MSR but know there are lighter rigs.

I want to be able to use it into Oct and we use inflatables and synthetic bags (it gets down to 0F often enough).

What's the recommendations you'd have and why?

Cheers!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Mike7

WKR
BPWD Luna 6 would be great for 3 big guys and a stove, but still very light and with all useable space. You could each bring your own small bivy sacks or nests if you wanted or just go with a ground sheets.

JP100

WKR
Just pack a 2 man tent each. Thats what I generally do here, even for two scrawny guys haha, its nice to have your own space on longer trips.

The MSRs are pretty darn light

Lighter tents generally wont handle the weather so well.

Could look at a tipi type option? I have only used a 6 man tipi on one trip and space wise it was good for 3 guys and fair stack of gear, stoves could work for you? and weight per person they are pretty good. condensation(with out a stove) and floorless are my only complaints of this system.

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Unless floorless is an option, I'd second the suggestion of each man having his own shelter.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Everything is a trade-off. If you go too light, then you're sacrificing durability and stability. It sounds like some decent amounts of snow could be a real possibility, along with the wind and even the cold that comes with that. I'm not sure I'd be willing to scrimp for that. I'd probably have a Hilleberg for myself, and the buddies can do whatever they want as well. The one thing I don't scrimp on is space. I use a BA Copper Spur UL3 solo because I found the UL2 too small for my preferences. But I don't use it past September unless the chances of snow are very slim.

BradNSW

FNG
2 man tent with a vestibule make the most sense to me for backpack hunts. I roll around too much and wouldn't want to be the guy who had to share a tent with me.

Lots of good, light ones out there. I use a sierra designs (3lb8oz) 3 season tent, for week long hunts into the teens with snow and drizzle not unusual. Tent is 3 season but a good ground pad and bag, its fine...I'm also a warm sleeper and always leave vents wide open, so don't need a true 4 season tent unless doing alpine climbs.

$150-200 would be my expectation on price...if you have a Big Agnes, why switch, you've already spent some mulla? Go with a bigger size? Unless you're above the treeline, snow shouldn't be too big a deal...just bring a good bag.

Wow, I googled Hillebergs...outa my price range and that's for a 3-season version.

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider
For three big guys The SO Redcliff plus a Ti stove equals 124 oz.
Or divided by 3 around 2.5# each for a roomy Mid.
Loose the stove and have 46oz less to pack.

R

Jimss

WKR
I have a Hilleberg Nallo II. The thing I like it compared to other tents are the verticle walls and the giant vestibule. This actually gives you more "usable space". The Hubba tent you mentioned may not have as steep of walls so won't be near as roomy? The Nallo vestibule is plenty big for your gear, cooking in poor weather, area to dry things out, etc. Another reason I like the Nallo so much is because if I want to go ultra-light I can use just the fly. It's super light and gigantic. The Nallo is a 4 season tent....and using the fly alone is pretty bomberproof! Then Nallo comes in II or III. I'm sure the III would be fairly roomy for 2 large guys and their gear. Hilleberg makes several other tent models that may be just as good or better.