2024 - Hunting Tents Comparison?

Gotcha_

FNG
Hello all,

In the market for a real tent after soaking my down sleeping bag with condensation and freezing. I'm looking towards hunting tents due to their extended use in the mid/late season that is taken into account for hunters and also large enough vestibules for packs. I'm uncertain of a Copper Spur or Telos TR2 or Hubba hubba due to this lack of uncertainty with a snow squall in october at 10k+ft. These were the top choices at Excellent Mindful Hunter 3+szn 2p tent comparison but not sure if the pole design for those (all cross beams) can really hold up. FYI the nemo here was rated low because the low height but that was improved. Seems like a 4 season tent is overkill based on what I saw from some other photos on here of the mountain star. So far my choices are really narrowed down to the;
  • Nemo Tracker - hoping the update last year made improvements on the model in the condensation realm and also nervous about the material ripping. $449 2lb 10oz
  • KUIU Mountain Star - seems like a great option though concerned with snow build up on crossing poles design. $500 3lb 7oz (though the video says it actually is ~4lb)
Anyone use these two? I'm having a hard time finding anything about the updated tracker use and the flaps in hunting season, everyone else is using in sept/ summer conditions but breathability was an issue. Hilleberg is out of my budget. Kings Camo is a little heavy for what you get.

1707663044200.png1707663069311.png

Last edited by a moderator:

McFarmer

FNG
Just my opinion, if you are at elevation in the mountains between Oct-Dec, you will want a 4 season tent that is stove capable. Temp and weather swings are so extreme that it could be 70 degrees or -15 and blowing snow. Get snowed in once and you will be glad you had the stove. Condensation can be solved by a little venting, firing up the stove or running a liner but understand that the material these ultralight tents all use will have condensation build up.

OP
Gotcha_

Gotcha_

FNG
Just my opinion, if you are at elevation in the mountains between Oct-Dec, you will want a 4 season tent that is stove capable. Temp and weather swings are so extreme that it could be 70 degrees or -15 and blowing snow. Get snowed in once and you will be glad you had the stove. Condensation can be solved by a little venting, firing up the stove or running a liner but understand that the material these ultralight tents all use will have condensation build up.
I agree with the weather comment though have seen many people say a 4 season is far too much. What makes you say that? Have you been up there before with a 4 season and glad you did or a 3 season and wish you had more?

Also, a stove and all that sounds great but the total setup cost is a major inhibitor for me, also in combination with the giant footprint seems more difficult to find flat ground that large.

OP
Gotcha_

Gotcha_

FNG
Tarptent Scarp

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
I've seen a lot of good things about that tent, its for sure intriguing. Seems like there is a lot of reviews in the snow and wind. how is setup? My only concern is that its not a free-standing tent, which draws concern with footprint availability in the mountains/ material sagging/ complexity to set up. Are these concerns valid or still like it?

In g
I've seen a lot of good things about that tent, it’s for sure intriguing. Seems like there is a lot of reviews in the snow and wind. how is setup? My only concern is that it’s not a free-standing tent, which draws concern with footprint availability in the mountains/ material sagging/ complexity to set up. Are these concerns valid or still like it?
it is a free standing tent when the optional crossing poles are used, which for a true 4 season you need those poles. I have the Scarp 1 and the Scarp 2. They’re great tents.

In general, the lighter the tent configuration, the more condensation you will be dealing with. When dropping weight, you end up dropping inner walls, liners, vents, etc.

The Tarptent Scarp is a unique exception, as it is a true 4 season tent, double wall, free standing, and lightweight. The tent handles wind very well.

IMG_4658.jpeg

OP
Gotcha_

Gotcha_

FNG
In g

it is a free standing tent when the optional crossing poles are used, which for a true 4 season you need those poles. I have the Scarp 1 and the Scarp 2. They’re great tents.
In general, the lighter the tent configuration, the more condensation you will be dealing with. When dropping weight, you end up dropping inner walls, liners, vents, etc.

The Tarptent Scarp is a unique exception, as it is a true 4 season tent, double wall, free standing, and lightweight. The tent handles wind very well.

View attachment 673278
Thanks! Scarp 1 or 2 up there? Is 1 good enough for all your gear?

Depends on how many people in the tent and how much gear. If just you, the scarp 1 is fine. But if it will be an extended hunt or you have a lot of gear, the scarp 2 is really nice.

OP
Gotcha_

Gotcha_

FNG
Now looking at the x mid and this @sneaky I saw your post about
this video in the x mid and is very much steering me away from that and still to the Scarp.

OP
Gotcha_

Gotcha_

FNG
double thinking my initial assumption. Was thinking about a 4 season for all environments but now considering a 3+ season like the x mid solid and also a 4 season Hot tent. Weather forecast and nightly lows would influence which one I would take for the week. Seems like the pad and bag are impactors but for blizzards to ride out, even a 4 season tent could be chilly. Stove could be a difference maker. I essentially have doubled my budget :(

The thing with stoves…you’re not going to ride out a blizzard with a stove running. Stoves are generally used for heating up the tent before crawling in your bag or temporarily eliminating condensation. A stove in a blizzard could be dangerous. High winds and hot stovepipes do not mix well. If you anticipate being stuck in a tent riding out a blizzard, a Mr Buddy is much safer and more controllable.

Weber

FNG
Hello all,

In the market for a real tent after soaking my down sleeping bag with condensation and freezing. I'm looking towards hunting tents due to their extended use in the mid/late season that is taken into account for hunters and also large enough vestibules for packs. I'm uncertain of a Copper Spur or Telos TR2 or Hubba hubba due to this lack of uncertainty with a snow squall in october at 10k+ft. These were the top choices at Excellent Mindful Hunter 3+szn 2p tent comparison but not sure if the pole design for those (all cross beams) can really hold up. FYI the nemo here was rated low because the low height but that was improved. Seems like a 4 season tent is overkill based on what I saw from some other photos on here of the mountain star. So far my choices are really narrowed down to the;
  • Nemo Tracker - hoping the update last year made improvements on the model in the condensation realm and also nervous about the material ripping. $449 2lb 10oz
  • KUIU Mountain Star - seems like a great option though concerned with snow build up on crossing poles design. $500 3lb 7oz (though the video says it actually is ~4lb)
Anyone use these two? I'm having a hard time finding anything about the updated tracker use and the flaps in hunting season, everyone else is using in sept/ summer conditions but breathability was an issue. Hilleberg is out of my budget. Kings Camo is a little heavy for what you get.

View attachment 671890View attachment 671891
If you want breathability the hilleberg is worse than the storm star. If you use the storm star as instructed its not bad. There is a right way to lay in it with a head and foot side. Open the vents, point toward where the wind is. Didn't have any issues with 2 dudes in monsoon rains and winds. In fact, was really glad to have it when the winds were ripping through and buckled another camps tent and snapped a pole.

Can't speak to the nemo, but I have 0 problem with my storm star. Its tight with 2 people but so is any 2 person backpacking tent.

Was looking at options as I have been a big fan of the seek outside red cliff with the large stove for awhile.

I recently moved up to Alaska and decided to buy a stone glacier skyscraper 2 person tent. It checked a lot of the boxes for me. Considering I would mainly be doing more solo hunts and not have the availability of wood to burn in my seek.

There is plenty of room inside the SG and having a high ceiling is a very nice feature especially when you get stuck in the tent for a few days.

Might be one worth checking out. Good luck in your search!

Idaboy

WKR
Lots of good "non hunting brands" make tents.. Floorless vs floor is a fork I the decision. Next Big decision is 4 season vs 3 season and honestly if your hunts span many seasons (hot/cool Sept and snowy later Oct/Nov) and you will be doing legitimate cold/snow hunt then you need tent for that vs 2 tents. Many UL backpacking companies make great tents.

OP
Gotcha_

Gotcha_

FNG
Did some math and the "lightweight" Cimmaron for what I'd get is gonna be 8.125 lb. Thinking this is a hidden weight when looking at these off the bat & going deep.
  • Tipi 3 lb 7 oz (55oz)
  • Full Liner 19 oz (or 20oz with cone) - Liner seems required for condensation & 2 people in there
  • Large std. stove + Chimney (6’) 35oz + 12oz (I picked this for longevity, not spending this for it to break)
    • OR Medium U turn + Chimney (6’) 23oz + 9 oz
  • Tyvek Ground cloth 8oz

Comparing a few direct 2 person 4 season tents (price is tent + footprint);
  • Scarp 2 - 4.44 Lb $534 + $40
  • Stone Glacier Skycraper - 5 Lb 8 oz $645 + $70
  • Kuiu Storm Star - 6 Lb 5oz $599 (on sale now orig. $697, footprint included)
  • Hilleberg Nallo 2 GT - 7 Lb 8oz $1065 + $95 (picked for vestibule that others had)
Scarp clearly has the lead for Weight/$ and after looking at all tents, Scarp vent design seems to have minimum condensation.

Mike 338

WKR
Ehhh, a good tent kind'a depends on what you're liable to be facing, weather wise. Some tents are pure junk. Avoid those. My old Coleman's have known quite a few failures. I've also used an expedition 2 man tent that was a bit of a hassle to set up, heavy and had a condensation issues. I now use a Teton Sports one man tent and pitch a small tarp outside for cooking under and stowing gear at night. It's seen rain and snow and kept me comfortable enough in 10 degree temps without condensation problems. That little Teton is priced right, easy and fast to set up/break down and really good quality. I use it over my Kifaru 3 man hot tent. I liked it enough to get a Teton Sports 4 man tent for when I'm car camping or weight isn't an issue.

If you're facing tropical depression type winds and heavy snow loads, then a high-end tent is probably the ticket but my backcountry hunts tend not to be on the extremes although I do on occasion need to punch snow off the rainfly in the middle of the night.

OP
Gotcha_

Gotcha_

FNG
Ehhh, a good tent kind'a depends on what you're liable to be facing, weather wise. Some tents are pure junk. Avoid those. My old Coleman's have known quite a few failures. I've also used an expedition 2 man tent that was a bit of a hassle to set up, heavy and had a condensation issues. I now use a Teton Sports one man tent and pitch a small tarp outside for cooking under and stowing gear at night. It's seen rain and snow and kept me comfortable enough in 10 degree temps without condensation problems. That little Teton is priced right, easy and fast to set up/break down and really good quality. I use it over my Kifaru 3 man hot tent. I liked it enough to get a Teton Sports 4 man tent for when I'm car camping or weight isn't an issue.

If you're facing tropical depression type winds and heavy snow loads, then a high-end tent is probably the ticket but my backcountry hunts tend not to be on the extremes although I do on occasion need to punch snow off the rainfly in the middle of the night.
Thanks for the feedback Mike, Yes I have a Durston X-mid solid thats light and sturdy, can handle the 80%. This one would be for late season Colorado where we can get 2' of snow kinda situation. The thing I was surprised by was the total weight of a seek outside system. The marketing does a good job to make you think it's comparable to a Fourseason tent, but its not.

OP
Gotcha_

Gotcha_

FNG
The thing with stoves…you’re not going to ride out a blizzard with a stove running. Stoves are generally used for heating up the tent before crawling in your bag or temporarily eliminating condensation. A stove in a blizzard could be dangerous. High winds and hot stovepipes do not mix well. If you anticipate being stuck in a tent riding out a blizzard, a Mr Buddy is much safer and more controllable.
That was my thought, the hot tent may be best if its a cold cold and quiet night. If not, its a condensation factory thats heavy.