12 Gauge vs 20 Gauge for bird hunting

hobolance

FNG
Hi. I am new to hunting and looking for a shotgun. I'm looking for a solid reliable multipurpose shotgun, and I've been thinking about the Mossberg 500 Field/Deer Combo. Any thoughts on what the best gauge is? I am wondering what the pros and cons of 12 vs 20 gauge are. I live in Alaska so I'd like one that's also capable of stopping a bear.

Irish Miner

Lil-Rokslider
Agree, I usually opt for the 20. Lighter packing mainly.

For bear country a 12 for sure and a large caliber side arm in addition to some pepper spray.

mlob1one

WKR
For pheasants and waterfowl, I love a 12.
Any other upland birds, I love carrying a lighter smooth 20.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Reactions: DAD

Cornhusker

Lil-Rokslider
Any good bird hunter including me will tell you that you need both. I used to run a 12, 20, 16 and a 28. I shoot doves one night with my 12 and the next night with my 20 or 28. I guess I like the diversity and changing things up. This fall I carried both my 12 and 20 for grouse. Next week on the opener of South Dakota pheasants I'll hunt the first couple of days with my 12 and then probably switch later in the week to my 20. When I go back to South Dakota for a 2nd hunt in November the birds will be wilder and I'll stick to just my 12.

If I was you I'd start by finding out what you like to shoot an overunder is my preference because i enjoy shooting them and shoot them fairly well. I even take my overunder in the duck blind and goose pit which most guys I hunt with think is crazy. I just don't shoot pumps or automatics anymore but I used to when I first started. I just enjoy the feel of a well balanced gun and for whatever reason I usually find that in stacked barrels.

A slug in a 12 or 20 will stop a bear or any other thing walking the planet. I grew up in Iowa and took many deer as a kid with both a 12 and 20 slug they do an incredible amount of damage. I was gifted a Mossburg 500 years ago it's versatile but to me swung like a fence post taking a lot of enjoyment out of wingshooting. I think there are better options out there than Mossburg you should take a look at. Good luck, bird hunting has been an addiction of mine for over 50 years hope you enjoy it as well.

eamyrick

WKR
Get a Benelli m2 in 12. 24 inch barrel. Benelli's have a longer receiver than an o/u so a 24 inch tube is about the same as a 28 o/u. Shoot 2 3/4 for upland birds or close in ducks and 3 inch 2s for fat winter birds. 2 3/4 slugs are plentiful for bear protection and the 24 inch will be handy. Used is fine. You aren’t gonna wear one out

twall13

WKR
Personally, if I could only have one shotgun it would be a 12 gauge. 12 gauge ammo is readily available and it is plenty manageable to shoot. With decent ammo it will bring down any bird I want to kill.

That said, I'm really glad I'm not limited to one shotgun. I currently own multiple 12 and 20 gauges as well as a 16 and I'll likely pick up a 28 at some point. I like a good over under or autoloader but a good pump will be a reliable and versatile shotgun that can really do everything you need it to do. I just don't enjoy shooting them as much.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
I’m in the 12 guage camp. Mainly because it’s the easiest to find ammo for. While 20 isn’t bad to find ammo, typically the variety isn’t as vast. That and funny as it sounds, if you or a buddy runs out on a hunt more often than not you’ll both be shooting a 12. But man I sure do love a good 20 guage. Good thing I own multiple of both.

I vote 12 gauge for a do-it-all. In my mind, having more pellets or a larger slug in the air is never a bad thing. Size your shot size and shell length to match your target species. The only real differences between the two gauges in my mind are shell capacity (12 gauge will hold more) and shootability/comfort (20 gauge will most often win here). I've never had a problem shooting my 12 gauge all day even with 3.5" goose loads.

If you are getting a semi-auto I would HIGHLY recommend a gun with an inertia-driven system (Benelli/Franchi) vs a gas-driven. Gas driven work great, until they get a little dirty. Inertia will cycle smooth a lot longer between cleanings. There are plenty of articles detailing some other pros/cons of each, but I've landed in the inertia camp after watching others have troubles with their gas-driven guns on hunts.

Sherman

WKR
I vote 12 gauge for a do-it-all. In my mind, having more pellets or a larger slug in the air is never a bad thing. Size your shot size and shell length to match your target species. The only real differences between the two gauges in my mind are shell capacity (12 gauge will hold more) and shootability/comfort (20 gauge will most often win here). I've never had a problem shooting my 12 gauge all day even with 3.5" goose loads.

If you are getting a semi-auto I would HIGHLY recommend a gun with an inertia-driven system (Benelli/Franchi) vs a gas-driven. Gas driven work great, until they get a little dirty. Inertia will cycle smooth a lot longer between cleanings. There are plenty of articles detailing some other pros/cons of each, but I've landed in the inertia camp after watching others have troubles with their gas-driven guns on hunts.
The two guys that brought me into the world of waterfowl shoot Beretta A400’s. They guide and hunt all fall/winter in the dirtiest of conditions and run 1000’s of rounds through their gas operated Berettas every year. They only clean their gun at the end of season and have never had an issue. They guide 4-7 guys 3-5 times a week, which all shoot different guns and they see the best and worst of everything. They tried to talk me into purchasing an A400 but I couldn’t swallow the $1900 price tag and went with the Winchester SX4. I hunt 2-3 times a week from dove opener to close of goose cleaning it about every 2-3 weeks. Never an issue. My 16 year old son shoots a Franchi Affinity that is inertia driven. He has had many issues with FTE and FTF if it gets too dirty or too cold. He shoulders it correctly and shoots it well, so it’s not a technique issue that some people have with inertia guns. He’s gonna sell it and buy a Beretta A300 Ultima.

I hunt with guys that knock honkers down at 65-70 yards with a 20g shooting 3” 3/5 blend BOSS shells. One guy was knocking them down at 45 yards with a 28g using BOSS shells. Can’t get away with that shooting steel.

Size of the shotgun is solely dependent on your own preference, shooting ability, and how much you want to spend on shot shell every year. I might be buying a 20g very soon after seeing how effective they are in the field.

Another thing….I have noticed that the guys shooting the BOSS shells have little to no crippled birds that require follow-up shots. The birds are usually dead before they hit the ground. I can’t tell you how many times I have found steel shot just under the skin that never fully penetrated on birds I’ve cleaned. I would buy BOSS shells if it weren’t for the price barrier.

Yeah, if you are hunting waterfowl and often take long shots (jump hunting, early season, w/e the reason) strongly consider getting some BOSS bismuth 3" shells. Once you start using those puppies, your gun options open up! For example, you can get 1 1/4oz of bismuth in a 3" 20 gauge shell- more than enough to pattern well at 40-50 yards *and* keep good energy. There are many people that are switching to 20 or even 28 gauge guns for waterfowl because the (non-steel) ammo is finally getting to be usable. And I think BOSS is affordable- not sure about other brands' bismuth.

I shoot a 12ga Cynergy Wicked Wing (cerakote finish, adjustable comb) for water birds, but I am thinking of getting a 20ga or 28ga gun to start using instead when I feel like it. I have a 6lb 20ga SxS that I use for upland game, but it is a bit light to handle the 3" 1 1/4oz bismuth loads well. Plus it was my grandpa's gun, and I don't wanna risk mucking it up (although waterfowl hunting here in NM is relatively clean compared to the stories I hear from elsewhere.)

It is probably wise to start with a 12ga, and decide if you are interested in sub-gauge after using it a bit. The more sub-gauge you go, the more you need to 'finesse' your game than you would using a 12ga. Thrilling, worthwhile, and romantic! But it takes more thought and experience to make those guns work where a 12ga would easily flourish.

samc

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely a 12 if you are at all concerned about bears. Also as stated above, you can find light 2 3/4 loads for smaller birds and 3 inch loads for ducks and geese.

johnnycake

Lil-Rokslider
If you're on the road system, I wouldn't be overly concerned about bears while bird hunting. I bird hunt 40-60 days a season in Alaska, mostly on the road system and have never had a bear concern during a hunt. Sure, is always possible, but it is a very remote likelihood. I run a 12 ga but that's largely because 1) I'm a sucker for my 870 pump; 2) I'm also a cheap ass that doesn't want to put $$$ into another gun that will kill the birds just as dead as what I've already got; and 3) I'm way too rough on my equipment to be trusted with a nice gun!

cuttingedge

Lil-Rokslider
If you can, spend a little more than that Mossberg and get a gun you will truly enjoy shooting. A nice shotgun is a joy to hunt with, and if well cared for will last a very long time.

A 20ga O/U is about as handy as it gets. They handle like a scalpal. You can shoot the lighter stuff for appropriate game, and you can use a 3" shell for wilder pheasants and waterfowl if needed.

A 12 is another great choice though. I had a Montefeltro with the walnut stock that hit where I pointed. Beretta A400 Xplor did the same with much less recoil. Remington V3 is also a great, soft shooting 12. My favorite though has been the Browning Cynergy, and I have owned a lot of shotguns. That was a gun I just couldn't miss with. I would recommend a synthetic stocked model. My walnut forearm cracked.

To me, a shotgun should be one that you can naturally hit with. I have had some, that I knew before the first 25 clay round of trap was finished, would not be hanging around. It might take you a few shotguns to find that one that you just get along with. When you do, it's almost like magic. It's like you don't even see the rib and the bead, but the birds just bust when you pull the trigger.

ianpadron

WKR
When discussing the merits of 20 gauge (and 28 gauge) shotguns, you'll find that the only detractors are fellas who haven't hunted with 20s.

Lighter, less recoil, less noise, and more than enough payload for anyone who understands properly patterning a scatter-gun and shotgunning as a whole...

With modern heavier than lead super shot...even more of a no brainer. Pillow casing big ducks (and geese) at 40 yards is routine with 2 3/4" TSS and similar loads.

20s are like the 6.5s in the rifle world...there will always be the 300 (12 gauge) or bust zealots who call ya a pansy and cling to their outdated ideologies, but for those who truly understand ballistics and value efficiency, the 20 is ideal.

WCB

WKR
Bear wise unless you are shooting slugs it really aint going to matter. And if you are shooting slugs a 20 ga is no slouch. Looking at Fed Trophy Copper slug 12ga 300gr @ 1900fps vs 20ga 275gr @ 1900fps they are within 200ftlbs of energy, 1/4" of drift at 100yds and within 3/4" of elevation out to 200yds. Nobody I knows shoots a 12 ga slug gun anymore we all switched to 20guages 10+ years ago.

Hard to say "overall" I grew up in a family that owned upland hunting lodges and waterfowl lodges. 12s were just always king as a "do all" gun. But even without Bismuth or Tungsten loads in general Shell manufacturing has improved greatly. For 90+% of situations a 20 gauge bird hunting will do just fine. Decoying ducks and geese along with grouse, pheasant etc the shooter is more of the issue than the gauge they are shooting.

We almost exclusively shoot 20ga and 28ga for upland and can say our kill rates wouldn't realistically be any higher if we were shooting 12s. Waterfowl we still shoot mostly 12s for if birds hang up or we are pas shooting (longer shots). But again decoying birds 20ga would be fine. 20 guage 50+ yard shots are doable but I will challenge anyone that says they can do it as a routine practice. Yes a 20 ga can knock them down with Bismuth or Tungsten but in general your not pillow casing them. Again have guys done it yes but like anything else doing it 2 or 3 times turns into "we kill birds at X distance all the time"

MtnDunn

FNG
I love my 20 gauges. They are wonderful to upland hunt with, especially when you're on a really long walk. However, if I were to own 1 multipurpose shotgun, it would be a 12 gauge, no questions asked.