12 guage from a Saddle

PiTaLin

FNG
Curious to know if anyone has experience with shooting a 12 guage from a saddle? Firearm opening day is right around the corner here in MI and I'd like to shoot my gun instead of my bow on firearm hunts.

As in like a scoped shotgun with slugs or sabots?

I rifle hunt from my saddle all of the time. No issues for me. Use the bridge and the tree as a rest. If I'm planning well, set up so I can use a limb or branch as a rest. I've also free handed some but seem to have a good rest anyway.

Go for it!

OP
P

PiTaLin

FNG
As in like a scoped shotgun with slugs or sabots?

I rifle hunt from my saddle all of the time. No issues for me. Use the bridge and the tree as a rest. If I'm planning well, set up so I can use a limb or branch as a rest. I've also free handed some but seem to have a good rest anyway.

Go for it!
Scope with sabots.
Never thought about using the bridge as rest, great idea. I’m glad to find a fellow saddler doing this. Good luck out there.

BluMtn

WKR
Make sure you try it with the horse before hunting off it. I have done it in the past, but had a friend that rode with me one time hunting coyotes and when he touched off a round the horse went full on Rodeo and horse went one way, gun went another, and rider went a third. I on my horse sat there and watched the whole thing unfold and all I could do was laugh hysterically.

KHNC

WKR
Make sure you try it with the horse before hunting off it. I have done it in the past, but had a friend that rode with me one time hunting coyotes and when he touched off a round the horse went full on Rodeo and horse went one way, gun went another, and rider went a third. I on my horse sat there and watched the whole thing unfold and all I could do was laugh hysterically.
His saddle will be much less mobile unless the tree falls. :)

OP
P

PiTaLin

FNG
Ha Ha, My first thought also when I read the heading....... General rule of thumb is ..

You can shoot off most any horse/mule..........ONCE....
haha I should have articulated better... if the tree goes I go lol

Hang18

FNG
Shoot bow, rifle, handgun and muzzle loader from (tree) saddle. Latter 2 are scoped. No problem at all. As others have said, there are many aids to steady your aim. I rest the firearm across the bridge. Also, seems like sitting in saddle helps absorb some of the recoil. But, that may be psychological.