<$1500 first deer rifle

hello everyone,

I am in the process of acquiring my first hunting rifle (graduation gift in May) and wanted to get some advice.

I live in PA and will primary be hunting deer. I would like to eventually hunt Elk and bigger game, however I feel by that point I will have the knowledge and money for a second rifle.

I am very open to a lot of suggestions, with my only main requirement being a threaded barrel as I am completing a Form 1 .30 cal can with my college roommates soon.

I was initially drawn to the Weatherby Vanguard, however was convinced by some to bite the bullet and jump to the Mark V which unfortunately is at the higher end of my range.

I am interested in Bergara as well, especially the B14 ridge as it checks all my boxes well.

i know people rave about Tikka but I never felt amazing about them

Finally, Christensen Arms would be great, but finding their rifles within my budget is like a scavenger hunt.

I am open to the used market so really its more market value than MSRP but either way, would love to hear the opinions of the older and wiser on the brand and caliber of choice for this situation. Thanks!

If I was you, knowing what I know now, I'd get a Ruger American Gen II that comes with the threaded barrel for $599.

The rest of the budget would be plenty for a really good scope and plenty of practice ammo.

I don't think the more expensive brands will actually be more accurate.

lak2004

WKR
How far are you wanting to shoot, realistically? How much money do you have in addition to the rifle purchase for scope/rings and ammo? What bullet do you want to shoot? Whats the minimum caliber restrictions in your state?

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
Get a Ruger American Gen 2 in 6.5 CM, 7-08 or .308 and put a Trijicon Huron 3x9 from Eurooptic for total of under $1000 and get the balance in ammo and go shoot it to get comfortable.

nobody

WKR
I’m going to also ask what it is you dislike about tikka? Because from your list (with a couple additional options sprinkled in), I would personally choose, in this order:

1. Tikka
2. Browning X Bolt
3. Weatherby Vanguard/Howa 1500 (same rifle, different branding).
4. Used Pre-64 Winchester Model 70, rebarreled to something modern
5. Archery Tackle
6. Weatherby Mark 5
7. A hatchet/sharpened stick
8. A wooden bat or steel pipe
9-98. Veganism/vegetarianism
99. Christensen (any flavor, in its stock form)
100. Bergara

lak2004

WKR
Learn from all of our mistakes/previous purchases and buy a tikka in a low recoiling caliber and spend your money on good glass and ammo. Rem 700 footprints are meh.

Another one wondering why not a Tikka? It may not have the sexy look of a Christensen or a Weatherby, but it'll run and shoot better than those by quite a bit from my experience. I have a Christensen in 6.5 prc and while it does shoot really good, it doesn't shoot any better than the Tikka 6.5 prc I had and sold like an idiot. And I have had some issues with feeding and extracting. I have never had those issues in any Tikka I own or have owned. I'm waiting on a new barrel and Rokstock right now actually to rebarrel a Tikka 300 WM to a 6.5 prc and the Christensen may go down the road. You really will be hard pressed to find a rifle that'll work like a Tikka, in any price range as far as I'm concerned.

I knew very little about rifles when I was first looking at them. I cycled the action on a Tikka one time and knew there was something different than the others.

You might head over to a gun store and check a few out; how smooth is the action? How hard is it to reach the trigger when shouldered (length of pull)?

Try not to be too sold on anything until you get to look and handle a few. You can easily get a great rifle for sub-$1500.

Have yall used an American Gen II?
Yeah, I got one in 5.56 nato and put a lightweight 1.5-4x scope on it.

Its fun to shoot, easy to carry around, and just as accurate as my Tikka T3x Lite, but it cost less and came with features the more expensive Tikka didn't.

Is the bolt as smooth as the Tikka? No, but so what?

Reactions: BLJ

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Yeah, I got one in 5.56 nato and put a lightweight 1.5-4x scope on it.

Its fun to shoot, easy to carry around, and just as accurate as my Tikka T3x Lite, but it cost less and came with features the more expensive Tikka didn't.

Is the bolt as smooth as the Tikka? No, but so what?

Because function- of which bolt function is a large part of, is the most important part of a rifle. So it’s a clanky, binding, rough feeding action, with a compromised trigger system and a flexible noodle stock; but it has some “features”, I.E.- paint and some flutes?

“Accuracy” is not the differentiator, it isn’t 2005 and every rifle should be shooting decent. “Function” is, or should be, and while the Gen 1 certainly has issues, the Gen 2 brings all of those issues and then makes them worse. For $100 less someone can buy a Howa 1500 with a real action and trigger that isn’t made to be a throwaway, with a good barrel attached. And while it lacks paint, even the stock is functionally better.

I like NEF Handi rifles but I don’t run around suggesting that people should buy one.
This isn’t about whether you or I “like” something, it’s about being honest of what things are- the Ruger Gen II American is lipsticked up cheap junk. At $350 the American at least made sense. At $600 real rifles that aren’t junk are available. Rifles that, you don’t functionally need to, but if you eventually replace a stock on it, are worth more than the stock. Ones that you don’t need to follow up with a Timney trigger.

Because function- of which bolt function is a large part of, is the most important part of a rifle. So it’s a clanky, binding, rough feeding action, with a compromised trigger system and a flexible noodle stock; but it has some “features”, I.E.- paint and some flutes?

“Accuracy” is not the differentiator, it isn’t 2005 and every rifle should be shooting decent. “Function” is, or should be, and while the Gen 1 certainly has issues, the Gen 2 brings all of those issues and then makes them worse. For $100 less someone can buy a Howa 1500 with a real action and trigger that isn’t made to be a throwaway, with a good barrel attached. And while it lacks paint, even the stock is functionally better.

I like NEF Handi rifles but I don’t run around suggesting that people should buy one.
This isn’t about whether you or I “like” something, it’s about being honest of what things are- the Ruger Gen II American is lipsticked up cheap junk. At $350 the American at least made sense. At $600 real rifles that aren’t junk are available. Rifles that, you don’t functionally need to, but if you eventually replace a stock on it, are worth more than the stock. Ones that you don’t need to follow up with a Timney trigger.
The Ruger Am Gen II comes with a threaded barrel at no extra cost, which would be a good feature for OP who mentioned in his post that he was already getting a can for the rifle.

I'm not familiar with Howa or NEF, but I know the Tikka models that come with threaded barrels cost a lot more.

I like the stock trigger on my Ruger, but everyone is entitled to to their own opinions/preferences.

Welcome.

I live in northeast PA. TBH I have a 3rd hand marlin lever gun in my safe with a 2-7 scope that is almost as old as me and it could handle any deer PA has offered me out to a couple hundred yards with no problems.

if I were in your shoes and trying to balance my budget against soemthing I could own and shoot for a long time, I don’t think you can do better than tikka. Call the guys at europtic in Williamsport and tell them you are a poor college student or catch a sale at sportsman’s warehouse. Get black, stainless and spend the money you save on glass and utm rings. When you are ready, take it to a gunsmith and get it threaded for about $200. You can upgrade the stock and whatever later as you like.

ShootOkHuntWorse

Lil-Rokslider
May be an odd suggestion but the 3 Thompson Center Ventures I have been around have been great and very accurate for the price. No aftermarket support though.

flyfisher117

Lil-Rokslider
The Gen II is one of the worst actions on the market. Binds, catches, and clanks. The Gen I’s were/are functional but cheap rifles, the Gen II’s that have seen are just cheap junk.
I had high hopes for the Gen 2. Excitedly went to the LGS to handle one when they came in.. all 4 they had on the shelf had dog shit actions. 2 of them the bolt would bind unless you pushed on the rear with your palm. The other 2 were sticky and made my RPR feel like a Cadillac in comparison.

OP what about Tikka doesn't tickle your pickle? What about Christensen Arms floats your goat? I don't love the stock on the Tikka but I'd take a Tikka and drop it into a stock later on, before I'd even think about a CA.

KHNC

WKR
Dangit, I know good and well he went and bought a single shot .22 and wont be back. :sneaky::oops:

Migrator

FNG
I really wouldn't stress too much about it. Go to a shop with good selection and run the actions of a few, buy the one the feels best. Spend as little as you can on the rifle and buy good glass -- you'll notice differences in glass more than you will on all the rifles you mentioned.

If you're going to run a can on it, go with a short barrel. I have a 16" CA Ridgeline in 6.5CM with a 9" can - it's easy to lug into the woods and get in and out of stands and quiet enough to not stress about ear pro. I bought it on recos from forums like this, and turns out the action is sloppy and they used actual razor blades in the construction of the bolt knob. But it kills deer just fine so I don't stress about it.

No matter what you do it's your first deer rifle - you'll learn something and know more for next time.