16/8 Intermittent Fasting

I have been following the 16/8 eating schedule for about 3 weeks. I have noticed I have more mental clarity in the mornings and haven't been experiencing the afternoon drowsy's that I normally got. Not much to speak of for weight loss but a good reduction in BP. Overall, I feel better and haven't noticed ravenous hunger in the morning and sleep has been much better. Is anyone else out there following this diet?

*zap*

WKR
I do it s a no carb diet. Really, I usually eat in a 4-6 hour window 40% of the time, 24 hr fast 10% and 8 hr window 50% approx. I do have beef tallow in my coffee thou...fwiw. Maybe 250 calories worth.

OP
Customweld
I do it s a no carb diet. Really, I usually eat in a 4-6 hour window 40% of the time, 24 hr fast 10% and 8 hr window 50% approx. I do have beef tallow in my coffee thou...fwiw. Maybe 250 calories worth.
I didn't really change what I ate, just narrowed the timing down. So far, I like the results and it isn't hard at all to maintain the timing aspect of it.

WKR
I didn't really change what I ate, just narrowed the timing down. So far, I like the results and it isn't hard at all to maintain the timing aspect of it.
If it's going well, I'd try to push it to 18 or 20 hours fasting. Ive heard you typically don't see the benefits of fasting (autophagy and telomere lengthening) until the 18 hour mark, depending on your activity level. And shave the extra hours off the evening, no cals after 6pm and nothing till lunch.

If you can start pushing your lunch back, you'll really see the energy jump.

Back in the day we used to call this, skipping breakfast.

But to answer your question, yes I typically won't eat breakfast at home and experience all the same things. More clarity and energy and less midday crash. Sometimes if I get busy I won't eat til evening and just that one meal so I guess you could say I'm doing a 23/1 diet those days, aside from getting a jittery energy later in the evening always feel great those days too.

OP
Customweld
If it's going well, I'd try to push it to 18 or 20 hours fasting. Ive heard you typically don't see the benefits of fasting (autophagy and telomere lengthening) until the 18 hour mark, depending on your activity level. And shave the extra hours off the evening, no cals after 6pm and nothing till lunch.

If you can start pushing your lunch back, you'll really see the energy jump.
That's interesting. I was listening to Huberman's podcast today and there really was no scientific basis to the 16:8 in the study that he talks about. Apparently they arrived at that timeframe due to a time restraint between the leading researcher and his significant other who happened to be the one in charge of feeding the mice in the study. When you listen to Satchin Panda's study, it makes perfect sense how eating after a certain time at night doesn't sit well with our Circadian Rhythm and digestion.

Eldoradotim

FNG
Classified Approved
Been at it for years. Recently was eating breakfast again because I needed the calories as I was pushing up strength and gaining some weight and its hard eating all day. I don't know how everyone else does it. Back to a regular intermittent fasting schedule now and feels much better.

But yes, you adjust to it quickly and then you simply are not hungry until whatever time you normally break the fast, more energy, etc, everything you mentioned. Biggest plus to me is that you simply don't have to spend the time thinking about/prepping/eating food until later in the day, and that you typically get bigger meals (feel more satiated).

If you're interested in the origins (not Huberman) check out https://leangains.com/articles/ and read through the old blog posts.

I’ve been thinking of IF too and this is my sign. I gotta check out those people you mentioned.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
no cals after 6pm and nothing till lunch.
That's been my normal daily routine for at least 50 years now (and probably longer because I always refused the breakfast my parents always tried to make me eat when I was a kid), except for the coffee every morning since I was in my 20's.

WKR
I just call it normal every day routine. I don't "skip" breakfast, other people just add too many meals.
The crucial part of fasting is zero or very near zero calories in the window. Its not just skipping breakfast. If you have cream in your coffee or juice or a snack bar or anything other than black coffee and water, thats not fasting.

OP
Customweld
I finished up one of the podcasts talking about protein intake being more beneficial earlier in the day (prior to 1100) even when your strength training is later in the day. Think I’m going to try that out for a while.

Sanford17

FNG
Anyone still doing this? Seems like I keep hearing about it and I recently start it as well fasting completely 1 day a week (ends up being a 40 hour fast that day/s). My question is at what point does your body stop eating the unused sugar and fats and start storing as fat as it turns to survival mode? So many different studies on it that I was hoping to hear real world experiences with it.

D S 319

WKR
Anyone still doing this? Seems like I keep hearing about it and I recently start it as well fasting completely 1 day a week (ends up being a 40 hour fast that day/s). My question is at what point does your body stop eating the unused sugar and fats and start storing as fat as it turns to survival mode? So many different studies on it that I was hoping to hear real world experiences with it.
I wouldn’t worry about that issue personally. If you feel good with what you’re doing and can do it, I think it’s worth continuing. No reason to over think it.

Yoder

WKR
Anyone read the nonsense about intermittent fasting causing heart attacks? Apparently the American heart association had a study showing a 91% increase in heart attacks if you do intermittent fasting. I wonder if this has anything to do with the millions of dollars donated to them by big pharma? Those companies make trillions off of fat sick people. They don't want anyone losing weight and getting healthy.

Anyone read the nonsense about intermittent fasting causing heart attacks? Apparently the American heart association had a study showing a 91% increase in heart attacks if you do intermittent fasting. I wonder if this has anything to do with the millions of dollars donated to them by big pharma? Those companies make trillions off of fat sick people. They don't want anyone losing weight and getting healthy.
I read a couple articles, the way they got the data was bogus and it's misrepresented at best. Data was just asking a bunch of people what they are, they took the ones that had food in a certain window and called it IF. So you have red meat and taders guys who skip breakfast being lumped in with IF dieters, etc. Furthermore I'd expect anyone on any diet to have higher heart disease and diabetes due to the fact that most people are on diets to attempt to lose weight so they're already in a higher percentile.

Rocko99

FNG
I have been doing 22/2 intermittent fast(M-F, 12/12 Sat-Sun) along with LCHF for 7 years. I dropped 64lbs over a few years and it's really been life changing. I never feel better than when fasting. That being said I worked up to 24/2. Started just pushing how long I would go without eating each day. 10am, 11am, etc. until I got to 22 hours. I eat in a 2 hour-ish window after work. I highly recommend it.

I have been doing 22/2 intermittent fast(M-F, 12/12 Sat-Sun) along with LCHF for 7 years. I dropped 64lbs over a few years and it's really been life changing. I never feel better than when fasting. That being said I worked up to 24/2. Started just pushing how long I would go without eating each day. 10am, 11am, etc. until I got to 22 hours. I eat in a 2 hour-ish window after work. I highly recommend it.

Interesting…what is LCHF? Also, how many calories do you consume in your 2 hour window?

I used to do 16-8 IF till I got more serious about my gym protocol. Now I worry that if I’m hungry and I don’t eat, I won’t be building muscle. For what it’s worth, I’m not trying to lose weight. If anything adding 5-10lbs of muscle wouldn’t upset me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk