16/8 Intermittent Fasting

Rocko99

FNG
Interesting…what is LCHF? Also, how many calories do you consume in your 2 hour window?

I used to do 16-8 IF till I got more serious about my gym protocol. Now I worry that if I’m hungry and I don’t eat, I won’t be building muscle. For what it’s worth, I’m not trying to lose weight. If anything adding 5-10lbs of muscle wouldn’t upset me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Low carb, high fat. I usually consume less than 40g of carbs a day. On days with long hikes, could be 50g.
I have not counted precisely how many calories, but it's enough to maintain my weight and honestly about all I could stomach eating. It prob. 2,500-3,000 cal or so.

If you are not fat adapted it's much harder to go long periods without eating as the hunger is generally tied to energy levels. I have the lowest body fat I have ever had. I don't see an issue with maintaining muscle but it's certainly not a bulking strategy-you just couldn't eat that many calories in that short amount of time without puking probably.

Low carb, high fat. I usually consume less than 40g of carbs a day. On days with long hikes, could be 50g.
I have not counted precisely how many calories, but it's enough to maintain my weight and honestly about all I could stomach eating. It prob. 2,500-3,000 cal or so.

If you are not fat adapted it's much harder to go long periods without eating as the hunger is generally tied to energy levels. I have the lowest body fat I have ever had. I don't see an issue with maintaining muscle but it's certainly not a bulking strategy-you just couldn't eat that many calories in that short amount of time without puking probably.

I see…I might have to try this. I eat a carnivore/ketovore diet and usually consume 3,000-3,500 calories per day.

*zap*

WKR
16 hour int fasting is a good thing......right now I am close to that most days but not always. Staying away from refined foods is very important also...even 'normal' peanut butter is refined, the 'only peanuts' peanut butter has over an inch of oil on top of the jar because they use so high of heat to process it. When I grind peanuts up there is zero oil...best to buy or make ground peanuts. This whole subject is really simple but at the same time pretty involved.

Rocko99

FNG
16 hour int fasting is a good thing......right now I am close to that most days but not always. Staying away from refined foods is very important also...even 'normal' peanut butter is refined, the 'only peanuts' peanut butter has over an inch of oil on top of the jar because they use so high of heat to process it. When I grind peanuts up there is zero oil...best to buy or make ground peanuts. This whole subject is really simple but at the same time pretty involved.
As a life long peanut addict, you are right. I have eaten all kinds of peanut butter from the junkiest generic brands to high end organic freshly ground. I wish I could say I prefer the organic peanuts only butter, but I don't. It's just too bland for me. 90% of my diet is what I would call very clean-peanut butter-my vice-not so much.

I will say if you have a powerful enough blender making your own nut butters is a good way to control ingredients. I have blended macadamia nuts, peanuts, almonds, salt, and a little bit of avocado oil for smoothness and it was darn tasty.

Rocko99

FNG
I see…I might have to try this. I eat a carnivore/ketovore diet and usually consume 3,000-3,500 calories per day.

I would see in what eating window you could consume your calorie requirement without distress and go from there. Meat tends to take longer to leave my stomach and I found when eating much more than I do now, I couldn't eat enough calories in that window do to being so full from a big steak.

OP
Customweld
Anyone still doing this? Seems like I keep hearing about it and I recently start it as well fasting completely 1 day a week (ends up being a 40 hour fast that day/s). My question is at what point does your body stop eating the unused sugar and fats and start storing as fat as it turns to survival mode? So many different studies on it that I was hoping to hear real world experiences with it.
I'm still doing it. I don't know at what point the fat burn starts and storage begins. I wasn't necessarily looking to lose weight, but more trying to clean up eating habits. The biggest benefit (to me) was eliminating "boredom" snacking in the evening. I think this has had the greatest impact for IF for me. Changing what I eat (and didn't drink) was by far the biggest benefit overall.

JMonty

FNG
Interesting…what is LCHF? Also, how many calories do you consume in your 2 hour window?

I used to do 16-8 IF till I got more serious about my gym protocol. Now I worry that if I’m hungry and I don’t eat, I won’t be building muscle. For what it’s worth, I’m not trying to lose weight. If anything adding 5-10lbs of muscle wouldn’t upset me.

Low carb high fat. Basically the Keto diet I would imagine.

Carbs overall are not the body's enemy. It's an important energy source. However, the source of those carbs can certainly lead to unwanted weight gain among other factors. No real need to go low carb, just need to limit bad sources such as excess sugar from sweets, high sugar breads, highly processed foods, etc. You don't need a specific diet to do that, just need to be aware of what you are buying and eating.

Carbs overall are not the body's enemy. It's an important energy source. However, the source of those carbs can certainly lead to unwanted weight gain among other factors. No real need to go low carb, just need to limit bad sources such as excess sugar from sweets, high sugar breads, highly processed foods, etc. You don't need a specific diet to do that, just need to be aware of what you are buying and eating.

Gotcha. I just didn’t know what the acronym stood for.

Rocko99

FNG

After a lifetime of roller coaster blood sugar levels, high carb diet was not for me. Regardless of the source-organic, whole grain, made from scratch, etc.-I did it all-they did no do my body well. It wasn't until I limited the carbs to under 50g or so that the blood sugar leveled out, I lost weight, gained energy, slept better, etc. Almost every facet of my health improved. Are carbs the enemy? Nope. Do some people do better on limited amounts, yes sir. Can some people thrive using fat as a fuel source, yes they can and do.

JMonty

FNG
After a lifetime of roller coaster blood sugar levels, high carb diet was not for me. Regardless of the source-organic, whole grain, made from scratch, etc.-I did it all-they did no do my body well. It wasn't until I limited the carbs to under 50g or so that the blood sugar leveled out, I lost weight, gained energy, slept better, etc. Almost every facet of my health improved. Are carbs the enemy? Nope. Do some people do better on limited amounts, yes sir. Can some people thrive using fat as a fuel source, yes they can and do.
I agree and that tracks with what I was saying with be aware of what you are eating. I think Keto recommends 20g or less of sugars (to include from carbs), where if I remember right the daily recommendation is 40g or less. What a lot of people don't realize is how much sugar they can get from drinks, especially carbonated beverages. I believe a single 20oz bottle of Mt Dew has 77g of sugar! Almost twice the recommended. Can't be real easy to put on the pounds if you are not intentionally looking out for those labels.

Knowing what works for your body is certainly a good spot to be in, along with working with your Doctor or nutritionist (if available) to fine tune to your needs.