16 years old and looking to build up points for elk draw.

I am 16 years old and want to start building up points towards an elk tag out west in about 5 years; but have no clue where to start.
What states are the best for higher success rates but aren't to spendy? I don't mind spending some money on a tag, but I don't want to spend a ton on points.
I would want to archery hunt.
Is there usually an option to apply as a party if my friend did it with me so we could get tags the same year?

Mojave

WKR
Wyoming elk are $52 per year. Elk license currently is $707 and special is $1283.
You'd be into it 5-7 years to get a general license, which would offer a lot of units, some you couldn't hunt because they are wilderness.

Arizona elk are $160 license per year and a $15 point per year. Tag will be about $1000. You'd be into it 8-10 years to get an ok tag.
Utah will have similar cost and result.
Montana will be a $25 point per year and $1000 tag.
Colorado will have a small point cost, and $800ish tag.

If you can manage it, I'd do Montana, Wyoming, Arizona, Utah and Colorado. Then in 5-10 years start hunting. When you finally draw a your first tag, you'll have another 5 years go hunt. Only if you bowhunt. You'll never ben in those rifle draws that quick.

Maverick1

WKR
Good on you for starting your research at such a young age. Fortunately for you, you have time (age) on your side. Unfortunately for you (age) there are states with point systems where there are many people in front of you in line. It might be easier to say where not to apply!

Given you age, I am going to assume you don't have a lot of disposable income to apply for points. They are getting expensive, as some states require an applicant to have a "qualifying license" of some sort before even buying a single preference point for any species.. Seeing that you are from Michigan, this will be an out of state hunt. Going down the list:

Don't bother: WA, OR, CA, NV, ID, NM.
Consider: UT, AZ, WY, MT, CO

Even after 5 years, there are no guarantees you will draw a tag in UT, AZ, or WY. (In 5 years from now, it may take 10-20 points to draw a tag in any one of those states. No sure thing, but that's the trend it's been going.) If you absolutely want to go elk hunting in 5 years, CO has OTC, and plenty of 0-1 point units now, so building points there wouldn't be a bad idea. Or, you could just skip the points all together and plan to go on an OTC hunt, although those may not be a guarantee to even exist in 5 years, either.

WKR

WKR
with the point creep trending the way it is now, I wouldn't be surprised if in 5 years it'll take 8+ points for a wy general tag. I hope that's not the case but statistics say it is.

If I was you starting out now in the point game, I'd play the long game on states you really have a desire to hunt, while trying to get some otc or 0-1 point draw tags so you can build elk hunting experience. You might not kill an elk everytime you get a tag but you will learn from your mistakes and have experience for when you finally draw a really good tag. (If you ever do)

WKR

WKR
as far as the party application, yes. Most states have that option to build points with a partner. But some, (Nevada) do not.

Elkangle

WKR
There's alot of different directions you can go esp at your age, so many variables...wyoming general comes to mind...after that everything you could possibly afford assuming your addicted like the rest of us

wapitibob

WKR
WY is a no brainer, apply every year while building points.
AZ is about $100/year; buy the license the last day of the Elk draw and span 2 years. Apply every year.
UT is dirt cheap, span 2 years with the license and apply every year.

Marble

WKR
If you have the money to build points, that's fine. Go ahead and do it. Got to play the game.

But in the meantime, get some experience. You can learn a lot in 5 years. Yes, you can learn a lot through reading and other online sources. But it isn't anything like field time.

If you show up in 5 years to cash in on your tag, you may be in for a surprise when you discover elk hunting really isn't like what your see on YouTube.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Maverick1

WKR
WY is a no brainer, apply every year while building points.
AZ is about $100/year; buy the license the last day of the Elk draw and span 2 years. Apply every year.
UT is dirt cheap, span 2 years with the license and apply every year.
All very true. But there aren’t many guarantees that someone with 5 points in any of those states will be able to draw a tag. They will have a chance in AZ and UT, but the odds won’t be very good of actually drawing a tag. (“Soooo, you’re telling me there’s a chance!”). He would have 5 points and slim odds today, and that’s likely to get worse in 5 years. And a WY general tag is an unknown: best prediction/guess is that it will take more than 5 points to draw a WY general tag 5 years from now. But, if the OP has the funds now, having 5 points in five years is better than having zero points in five years!

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
Hello Joseph! Super cool that you are looking into this at your age. As the guys have already said, Wyoming is a good place to start for sure. I don't know what your budget is but if you can spend more on points above and beyond Wyoming I'd either go with Montana or Colorado. I would go to Colorado and hunt elk with a bow before you use your points just to get some field time in and learn some things. I say Colorado because you can still get Archery tags over the counter. Maybe you could go after you graduate from high school unless you're college bound.

I started buying points in Wyoming for my son when he was 16. He's 31 now and with 15 points he drew a very nice unit this fall. While he was building points in Wyoming, he hunted Colorado, New Mexico and Montana. It's a lot of fun, but hard work man! Don't assume that just because you're young you don't need to be in shape for the hunt. I went for the first time when I was 20 and thought it would be ok since I was young. It kicked my tail.....

WI Shedhead

Lil-Rokslider
If your 16 you’ll get the cheap points for a couple more years in wy, Utah, co, Az, and nv. And depending on when your bday is in comparison to application dates you might get in on the cheap tag price too. Montana has great archery hunting too. Cycle through 3-5 states and you’ll be hunting with a tougher draw sprinkled in.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Good on you for starting your research at such a young age. Fortunately for you, you have time (age) on your side. Unfortunately for you (age) there are states with point systems where there are many people in front of you in line. It might be easier to say where not to apply!

Given you age, I am going to assume you don't have a lot of disposable income to apply for points. They are getting expensive, as some states require an applicant to have a "qualifying license" of some sort before even buying a single preference point for any species.. Seeing that you are from Michigan, this will be an out of state hunt. Going down the list:

Don't bother: WA, OR, CA, NV, ID, NM.
Consider: UT, AZ, WY, MT, CO

Even after 5 years, there are no guarantees you will draw a tag in UT, AZ, or WY. (In 5 years from now, it may take 10-20 points to draw a tag in any one of those states. No sure thing, but that's the trend it's been going.) If you absolutely want to go elk hunting in 5 years, CO has OTC, and plenty of 0-1 point units now, so building points there wouldn't be a bad idea. Or, you could just skip the points all together and plan to go on an OTC hunt, although those may not be a guarantee to even exist in 5 years, either.
Nevada is not too bad..

Mojave

WKR
Nevada isn't too bad if you are a resident.

Something to consider is that New Mexico, Idaho and Alaska do not have points programs.

If you can draw a tag.

They are what most consider the cherry on top states.

Draw a tag and they are amazing.

Idaho currently has some OTC archery hunts.

Montana is a $100 point and you have to apply for a license every other year to keep them. I'd leave it off the list until you're ready to draw a tag.

I am 16 years old and want to start building up points towards an elk tag out west in about 5 years; but have no clue where to start.
What states are the best for higher success rates but aren't to spendy? I don't mind spending some money on a tag, but I don't want to spend a ton on points.
I would want to archery hunt.
Is there usually an option to apply as a party if my friend did it with me so we could get tags the same year?
You will never collect enough points to draw.

It will be random , or otc in CO

Deerhunter6250

Lil-Rokslider
I would go over the counter now in Colorado you get cheap tags till you turn 19. You can still do points there if you want. Maybe points in WY and Utah then apply in NM you always have a chance and theres no points. Good Luck its a lot of work but I love it.