COW Elk Hunting Opportunities - First Timer

G&D920

FNG
Looking to getting into Elk hunting. I would love to save points for a bull opportunity but with draw odds getting ridiculous for Non residents, I would be open to and insight info on how to do Cow elk hunts (Rifle) - DIY with good success rates. Anyone have any suggested states/areas to consider or where to start?? Just looking to get out and tag my first elk and absorb the experience and learn

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
What states and regulations have you researched?

There are plenty of oppertunites across the west that will only take a point or two if your willing to burn them.

I was just looking at BearPaw Outfitters in Washington state. The rates are very good and I think the tags are over the counter, but you'd need to check.

Laramie

WKR
Looking to getting into Elk hunting. I would love to save points for a bull opportunity but with draw odds getting ridiculous for Non residents, I would be open to and insight info on how to do Cow elk hunts (Rifle) - DIY with good success rates. Anyone have any suggested states/areas to consider or where to start?? Just looking to get out and tag my first elk and absorb the experience and learn
Cow elk hunts are not like doe deer hunts. They can be very challenging on public land. I recommend first timers either save a few preference points for a good limited quota area or pay for a guide.

t_carlson

WKR
Cow elk hunts can really run the gamut.

Many times, the easy-to-obtain tags have difficult access to elk country (private land), and so the game agency issues a TON of tags in hopes that a small percentage get filled to control populations. Cynics might say that they do this intentionally to bilk more hunters out of their license dollars.

The best cow units, at least here in MT, will have <40% draw odds with lots of public land AND a relatively high number of tags issued. That usually indicates the cow hunting is good.

kcm2

WKR
Private property can greatly increase your odds of success. You can sit on the roads and see hundreds of elk on private ranches during the season. They aren't all on the private dirt but a lot of them sure learn quickly.

BigMick93

FNG
With being frugal in mind, which state is the cheapest to start acquiring points? I too am in the same boat and want to experience an elk hunt. Would I like a harvest? Absolutely, but firstly would be the experience of being out west!

Laramie

WKR
With being frugal in mind, which state is the cheapest to start acquiring points? I too am in the same boat and want to experience an elk hunt. Would I like a harvest? Absolutely, but firstly would be the experience of being out west!
The are all ever changing so by the time you draw, the correct answer today may not be the best answer when you can draw in 10 years.

If you are looking for the western experience, there are much easier, and cheaper, ways than elk.