.17hmr weight

N8H

FNG
I buy whatever is cheapest. My gun doesn't care who made it or how heavy it is, it will put it right where I point it.

Agross

WKR
I shoot the 17 grain because that’s what I bought first and they shoot great out of my gun.

OP
rostkowski
I shoot the 17 grain because that’s what I bought first and they shoot great out of my gun.
Thats where i'm at, just wanted to see if anyone noticed a difference. I've only ever shot the 17gr

Accuracy wise, my Tikka prefers the 20 gr. Supposedly, it will give better penetration on coyote sized critters and isn't quite as explosive. I haven't shot enough critters to confirm.

Previously, I had a Ruger American and it shot the 17's great. They worked fantastic on ground squirrels and ricochets were virtually non-existent. It worked so well that I no longer have any to shoot!

slush

FNG
I use the 17 grain, to shoot prairie dogs in my back yard. The performance is awesome. Plus, the bullets are very explosive. I never worry about ricochet. I sight it in at 100 yards and hold on the chest at 150 yards.

204_ruger

FNG
I shoot the 20 gr xtp ammo. Killed a bunch of armadillos with the 20 gr. I like 20gr for coyotes too.