180 Grain ELD-M Terminal Performance Under 300 yds. 28 Nosler

2buffalo

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking for some real life experience with 180 gr ELD-M in a 28 Nosler performance on game under 300 yds. I do make some longer shots up to 600yds but also get closer shots when the opportunity is there. I am going to be developing a load and may work up a copper round and a lead round or if these perform well enough close range will not bother with the copper round. Looking for experience on elk sized game down to whitetails. Thank you.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I am looking for some real life experience with 180 gr ELD-M in a 28 Nosler performance on game under 300 yds. I do make some longer shots up to 600yds but also get closer shots when the opportunity is there. I am going to be developing a load and may work up a copper round and a lead round or if these perform well enough close range will not bother with the copper round. Looking for experience on elk sized game down to whitetails. Thank you.
You will probably get a wide variety of answers and they are all probably going to be correct. Shot placement will change a lot here but I had a mountain goat that ate 3 of them before he went down. He didn't move after the first one but he just stood there with legs locked. I have also had a bull that dropped in his tracks first shot. It seems like it depends on the day whether they drop instantly but I have never had an animal move more than a couple of yards after being hit with one!

OP

2buffalo

Lil-Rokslider
You will probably get a wide variety of answers and they are all probably going to be correct. Shot placement will change a lot here but I had a mountain goat that ate 3 of them before he went down. He didn't move after the first one but he just stood there with legs locked. I have also had a bull that dropped in his tracks first shot. It seems like it depends on the day whether they drop instantly but I have never had an animal move more than a couple of yards after being hit with

OP

2buffalo

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the reply. How long were the shots and did they exit?

dkynoch

FNG
If you are only going to shoot "up to 600 yards" the 28 Nosler is fast enough that having the highest possible BC is not a big concern. Any bullet with a BC of .550 and above will still deliver a flat trajectory at that range.

I would look at bullets that would perform well with almost any reasonable shot within 0 to 600 yards.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OP

2buffalo

Lil-Rokslider
If you are only going to shoot "up to 600 yards" the 28 Nosler is fast enough that having the highest possible BC is not a big concern. Any bullet with a BC of .550 and above will still deliver a flat trajectory at that range.

I would look at bullets that would perform well with almost any reasonable shot within 0 to 600 yards.

Understood. I guess my question is would the 180 eld-m fit what you are describing above. I have never used them in my 300wsm or 300wm. I am wondering if anyone has shot this bullet at 300 or less in a 28 nosler and what they have experienced for performance. With their construction I am assuming they would work well beyond that range. Thanks for your reply.

this is a pic of a big cow elk shot at 100 yards with a 162 ELDX from my 28 Nosler. Bullet was going at least 3000 fps.

Attachments

• IMG_1705.JPG
    IMG_1705.JPG
    382.9 KB · Views: 42

dkynoch

FNG
Understood. I guess my question is would the 180 eld-m fit what you are describing above. I have never used them in my 300wsm or 300wm. I am wondering if anyone has shot this bullet at 300 or less in a 28 nosler and what they have experienced for performance. With their construction I am assuming they would work well beyond that range. Thanks for your reply.
I think it would be fine based on other bullets I have shot game with. I do t have any first hand experience with this exact scenario, but the 180 7mm eldm is a really long and heavy for caliber bullet. It should work fine even though it may be a little devastating it have enough length to penetrate.