NEW AR15 6MM ARC Build + Burris Eliminator IV review & 6 ARC BRASS!

NDJRL

FNG
Folks,

Got my first few boxes of ammo through this gun. Wanted to share my experience so far with the 6 ARC build as it seems to be rapidly picking up popularity and a great cartridge. Hoping this can help others who are looking to do something similar. Also looking for pointers from anyone with experience on a part or build like this that found success or failures in anything they did.

FYI will also have a review of the Burris Eliminator IV & I do not reload so I will have 6mm arc brass for sale as I accumulate it.

THE GUN:

-18” 6mm ARC Shaw Customs barrel 1 in 7.5” twist helical fluting
-Wilson Combat Lower
-Wilson Combat Upper
-Wilson Combat hand guard (I think)
-Wilson combat 6.5 grendel bolt carrier group type ll bolt face polished nickel boron
-Magpul stock
-Regular buffer tube/spring
-Odin works adjustable gas block
-Rave trigger (think about 4lb pull)
-Burris Eliminator IV 4-16x
-Leupold mount for eliminator
-Vortex red dot on a 45 degree offset
-Dead Air Sandman suppressor (regular length)

THE USE/GOAL:

This gun as of now is my dream coyote rig. Where I live it’s very common to have long shots on coyotes in a windy environment . Needed a setup that could reach farther than 223/556, be accurate, have a great BC, and be able to get any distance shot off in quick order.

To accomplish this I needed optics and a cartridge that could do it all.

This AR was previously a 6.5 grendel. Was good, but the grass looked greener for my use in the 6 ARC. Also seemed ammo for the Grendel was fading and that 6 arc ammo (in my local store) was consistently available. Reloading for me is unfortunately not an option right now, would love to but don’t have the time.

Went with 6arc in 18” shaw barrel.. the previous grendel barrel was 20” and was just a bit too long with the suppressor on. Also having the weight of the suppressor further out made off hand shots tougher as this setup is a bit heavier than I’d like but still manageable. Was nervous to go 18” fearing I’d lose more velocity than I’d like. Have yet to shoot over the chrono but will report on this as barrel breaks in. As far as shaw.. this is my first shaw barrel. Heard mixed reviews but have to say I was able to get it in under 10 days, quality seemed really good, price was fair, and shot about 0.5-1.1 MOA groups with the first 40 rounds (using Hornady black and Hornady eld M). Was shooting off a bench with some sweatshirts and foam pad to rest on.. very likely could shoot much better off a better rest.
Pleased with Shaw barrel and would go with Shaw in the future.

The trigger has a clean break and is much lighter than mil spec.. but I would like to go lighter. Please offer any suggestions on a 2-3lb high quality AR trigger.

Gun cycles really well, adjusted the gas block perfectly to cycle and lock the bolt on an empty mag, but not have excess gas coming back. Buffer weight seems to be perfect.. may get the JP enterprises silent buffer in the future.

All the Wilson combat parts are very good quality. Fit and finish is second to none. Did not have a single malfunction with the bolt carrier group and the Shaw barrel. Shaw recommended an Alexander arms 6.5 grendel bolt.

The vortex red dot on offset mount is on the money. Have this zeroed at 25 yards but could probably use on a coyote out to 100 if needed.

The Burris Eliminator - This is my first Burris optic. For whatever reason I always pictured Burris as a lower quality optics manufacturer. Very impressed with this so far. My local store had this on sale for $500 less than regular. Feel of this scope is high quality, the manuals are informative, the app is great, ease of use and performance has been perfect. The need of this scope for me is huge.. to be able to hit the wireless Bluetooth button mounted where my thumb rests on my hand guard, get an accurate range, and aiming solution with 10mph wind hold, in less than a half second is a game changer. Sighted in at 100 today, range only went to 300 but shot 10 rounds at a 5” plate at 300 and did not miss. Shooting at 300 felt exactly the same as shooting at 100. Can’t wait to stretch it out much further.. it can range past 2000 yards and for 6 arc can provide an aiming solution to just past 1000 yards maybe 1100+ depending on air density and your rifles muzzle v. You can fine tune the programming in the app and on the scope for your exact environmental conditions and velocity. The Burris app has a library with all the factory load info, and can input hand load info. Glass quality seems to be as good as I’d need, have yet to try in low light but seems to be better than average scope glass.. obviously not top tier level. Also Burris claims to have a no questions asked forever warranty. Lastly, this scope mounts in a different way than a normal scope where it does not have rings. This is nice because there is no need to level the scope, you put it on, torque it down, and it’s level.

Suppressor makes shooting this gun very enjoyable. Sound reduction is great, also recoil reduction is nice. Have no issue at all staying in the eye box of the scope through the trigger pull, bang, and follow up. Is a bit heavy.. if I was looking for another I’d look for titanium.

OVERALL

6mm ARC seems to be the best cartridge for my use in an AR15. Hornady ammo availability is going up, hope this continues. The setup showed great accuracy that we could expect to get better as barrel breaks in. Will update what my MV is when I get around 200 rounds through. Very excited to hunt with this and use for target shooting out to 1000. The Burris eliminator seems to be the real deal.. can fine tune this even more once barrel breaks in and MV settles in. The combo between the eliminator and the red dot should provide me a quick dead coyote at 0-maybe 1000 yards barring any shooter error/bad wind calls. Also a plus that I could hunt deer with this round if I wanted as well.

Ask away with questions and provide some input if you’d like!

**Can message me about 6 ARC brass for sale in the future as I shoot this more

OP
N

NDJRL

FNG
Adding to this - if anyone else shoots 6mm arc factory ammo let me know what your barrel length and muzzle velocity is

Adding to this - if anyone else shoots 6mm arc factory ammo let me know what your barrel length and muzzle velocity is
18" barrel, bolt action
Hornady Match Ammo - 108gr ELD-M
2650 fps

I get roughly the same with handloads, 29.0gr CFE223 in Starline brass.

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
I recently built a 6 ARC with a Proof 18" Stainless barrel. Been out twice now shooting both factory and handloads. Have not chorno'd any loads yet, but happy so far with accuracy.

wirehead

Lil-Rokslider
Low recoil, short actions, perfectly adequate performance, and barrel should last longer.
and AR10 components are not generally interchangeable across manufacturers, are more expensive, and heavier... just my opinion but its not worth the extra ~200 fps to go AR10.