2 Rifles, 2 scopes. Which goes where?

FloridaB

FNG
So, in 2010, I purchased a Winchester M70 Featherweight in .308 specifically for a 3 day rifle class. It was basically a "what if AR's are banned, can you fight with a bolt action rifle" course. Due to the itinerary of the course and based on the instructor's suggestion, I bought a Leupold VX II in 2x7 33mm. The class was amazing and the M70 combined with the 2x7 Leupold was a perfect combo for the course.

Now, I have had a Browning BLR Lever Action in 7mm-08 for a long time (the mid 1990's), with open sights. I love that rifle. I also bought a Burris Fullfield II in 3x9, 40mm a long time ago on impulse that has sat in its original box since then.

I am considering taking the 2x7 33mm Leupold off the Win. M70 and putting it on the Browning BLR and mounting the Burris 3x9 40mm on the Win. M70.

I realize that the .308 and 7mm-08 are very similar and the Leupold 2x7 33 and the Burris 3x9 40mm are also very similar. I am probably splitting hairs here but wanted to bring this up just to see what other hunters (more experienced than me) have to say about the topic and might make some good points.

Thank you for any input.

Maverick1

WKR
So, you have two similar rifles, with similar scopes, and you want to (more or less, since one isn’t mounted) swap the scopes? What is the reason for the swap? You think you will shoot them more? Scopes better matched to the rifle? Or Just because? OK, if that’s what you want to do, and you enjoy shooting, go for it!

(Not for me, I’m kind of a “set it and forget it” type when it comes to scopes and rifles, but other people really enjoy that process. I respect that, just not my jam.).

How many rounds (or trips to the range) do you figure it will take you to get each new setup to where you want to be?

OP
F

FloridaB

FNG
Thank you for the reply. I did forget to mention my reasoning. I felt that the 3x9 Burris scope was better matched to the bolt action .308 and the lever action (although in a pretty flat shooting 7mm-08) is better matched to the smaller, sleeker, 2x7 33mm. I want to utilize the BLR more for teaching my kids to shoot, and eventually hunt with. Scoping that rifle adds another rifle to my hunting inventory.

I recently joined a new outdoor range with a 200 yard rifle bay. So, I plan to start shooting once a month by myself and once a month with my son/sons.

Selling the Burris and using an identical Leupold would make sense. Little bit more effort but not in the big picture.

OP
F

FloridaB

FNG
Yes, a little more effort and a bit of a hit selling a never used scope, but still would be less than what I paid, to buy another new scope. You suggest that because you think the Leupold is a better scope or a different reason!

jimh406

WKR
I think it has more to do with how many times you plan to shoot. Based on the minimal description, I don’t think it’s worth changing the scopes to sight in again on the 308 that seems to work fine.

Thank you for the reply. I did forget to mention my reasoning. I felt that the 3x9 Burris scope was better matched to the bolt action .308 and the lever action (although in a pretty flat shooting 7mm-08) is better matched to the smaller, sleeker, 2x7 33mm. I want to utilize the BLR more for teaching my kids to shoot, and eventually hunt with. Scoping that rifle adds another rifle to my hunting inventory.

I recently joined a new outdoor range with a 200 yard rifle bay. So, I plan to start shooting once a month by myself and once a month with my son/sons.
I do like the idea of the 3-9x40 on the bolt and the 2-7 on the lever, could be a fun hog setup. At the same time, every single time I've swapped scopes around I've regretted it for one reason or another and the difference between these two scope isn't huge so don't think it'd be enough to motivate me to execute in this case. That 308 is a proven combo and you've put some rounds downrange with it so there's some natural comfortability you'd be giving up.

I would say put the Burris on the rifle you plan to have the kids shoot more.

I’ve found hesitation with new shooters if what they are shooting at looks small.

2x is a big enough difference.

Honestly, I'd swap the 2x to the lever and see how I liked it. I haven't looked at any specs, but you might like it for quick follow-up shots. Then you'll know and it doesn't take much to swap scopes.

Yes, a little more effort and a bit of a hit selling a never used scope, but still would be less than what I paid, to buy another new scope. You suggest that because you think the Leupold is a better scope or a different reason!

I would place a value on a sighted in proven scope. And the ammo needed to get to that point.
Also, consistency from weapon to weapon with an optic builds confidence and skill somewhat.
This all comes from a keyboard warrior. Others have tons more experience than me in this arena.

Rock-o

WKR
I'm just here to give a high five for the BLR.

I have a Leupold VX-3 3-9 on a BLR chambered in 308 Win.

11boo

WKR
My hunting rifles nearly all wear low power glass. 1x6 and such. Heck my 45/70 has dropped 3 elk, with a 2x Leo. Fixed.

I had the Leo 2x7, that was a good scope. I would put it on the lever, as low as possible.