2014 Kifaru Nomad

Beastmode

WKR
Yeah, Really. A brand new bag HC 7000 should bring a good price & pay for most of a new Nomad. I do see your point though, we should put more miles on the HC,we might be surprised to find out its a bag with cinch straps! Could be that some of us cant imagine a more versatile set up than the Nomad & accessories & as great as the HC is, it just doesn't have that versatility. You know they use the same frames right? So its true some would blindly sell our High Camps & buy Nomads & have blind faith in Kifaru. Just like we did when we bought our High Camps & the Kifaru packs we had before them. But please, feel free to chime in with more of your insights! We are all anxiously waiting!

Y not keep the high camp, buy the nomad and try them both off and on for a season. See which one works best for your style of hunting. Just a thought.

boom

WKR
nah..i am keeping the DT2. it fits well. holds what i need. i think a few pods or such would make it awesome for my world..

i am not buying a nomad.

if i buy a new pack, it will be probably a stone glacier..you know, for the shits and grins.

Ruskin

WKR
So I'm one of "THOSE" GUYS". I'm just getting into the Rokslide style of hunting. Hunted a bunch as a kid. Took about 10 years off. Bought a BT1 this yr and used it on a 7 day elk hunt and some 10 GA whitetail days. Figured I carried the BT1 in day hunt mode 95% of the time. So I sold the T1 bag and plan to get the Nomad. The nomad should fit my style (and better organize crap), so live and learn. I would love to do 10+ days chasing goats and grizzly, but it's more a dream than a reality for me.

I did find the explanation of drawing the line between the nomad and EMRII at 7 days. Under 7 days nomad wins. Not a hard rule and not appropriate for everyone, but gave me some prospective.

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
So I'm one of "THOSE" GUYS". I'm just getting into the Rokslide style of hunting. Hunted a bunch as a kid. Took about 10 years off. Bought a BT1 this yr and used it on a 7 day elk hunt and some 10 GA whitetail days. Figured I carried the BT1 in day hunt mode 95% of the time. So I sold the T1 bag and plan to get the Nomad. The nomad should fit my style (and better organize crap), so live and learn. I would love to do 10+ days chasing goats and grizzly, but it's more a dream than a reality for me.

I did find the explanation of drawing the line between the nomad and EMRII at 7 days. Under 7 days nomad wins. Not a hard rule and not appropriate for everyone, but gave me some prospective.

That's a good way to look at things (Nomad will work fine for 10 days, but EMR would be better).

Sounds like a lot of your trips are short too, so the Nomad will be perfect for you.

Ruskin

WKR
From a design perspective I'm curious why the EMRII has a dual zipper with weather proof flap while the nomad camp bag has a plain straight zipper with no flap?

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
From a design perspective I'm curious why the EMRII has a dual zipper with weather proof flap while the nomad camp bag has a plain straight zipper with no flap?

Cost was the biggest reason.

Both have same zipper configuration.

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

The flap isn't" weather proof, but will help. You can also flip the camp bag around when needed...can't do that with EMR, so flap was designed.

Mark

WKR
The flap isn't" weather proof, but will help. You can also flip the camp bag around when needed...can't do that with EMR, so flap was designed.

When you say "flap" you're referring to the lid, correct? And if I understand the Nomad options, I can add any lid I want to that pack as well, correct?

With a lid and the roll down top on the camp bag, that seems like it would a bit more weather resistant than the EMR II.

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
When you say "flap" you're referring to the lid, correct? And if I understand the Nomad options, I can add any lid I want to that pack as well, correct?

With a lid and the roll down top on the camp bag, that seems like it would a bit more weather resistant than the EMR II.

I'm talking about the zipper flap on the EMR.

And yes, the camp bag does very well with roll top and lid combo. You can also flip the zipper to the inside for forest gump storms.

Ruskin

WKR
I was asking about the zipper to the main bag compartment. Aron addressed my question. And yea, in bad weather the nomad camp bag could be turned around so the zipper was facing the frame.

So the camp bag is single zipper and not dual zipper. Simplicity is probably better.

Being from the Midwest, the Nomad looks to be perfect for me as I tend to get into the mountains for about a week each season. My BHC7k saw 5 whole days of hunting this past season. Now don't get me wrong, it worked awesome, but the bag itself is only useful to me for that week each year.

On the other hand, I can see several uses for the Nomad beyond my western hunting adventures because of its versatility. I really like the idea of carrying tree stands in conjunction with my day gear. Have you ever tried to carry a stand and a daypack? It does not work well. I've tried it several ways, none of them are convenient or comfortable. Plus with the Nomad it looks like I can add a large bag and it will function similar to the HC7k with only a small weight penalty?

Yea, I will probably part with my HC7k after only one season, but not because it is inferior in any way. I just can't justify keeping it and a Nomad?

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I was asking about the zipper to the main bag compartment. Aron addressed my question. And yea, in bad weather the nomad camp bag could be turned around so the zipper was facing the frame.

So the camp bag is single zipper and not dual zipper. Simplicity is probably better.

Again, zippers on both bags have same configuration (dual zippers). Only difference is EMR has flap covering zipper. Other than that....EXACT.

bigfish b.c

Lil-Rokslider
I think it is hilarious that guys are ditching their one year old packs just to get the newest thing which won't be the newest next year. I saw a post on here that somebody is selling their brand new highcamp. Really? Not even going to try it out for a season and see if you like it?

lol yah it is funny allot of people just need the rush of something new ,kinda like bows:rolleyes:its time for me iam rocking my 10year old duplex longhunter rendezvous.

Maybe there isnt much other interest but I would love to see a picture video of a pocket mounted to the frame under the nomad... I am seeing a long pocket side zip mounted there with the zipper on the bottom maybe for easy access. Or would just a large belt pocket work better?

7mag.

WKR
Maybe there isnt much other interest but I would love to see a picture video of a pocket mounted to the frame under the nomad... I am seeing a long pocket side zip mounted there with the zipper on the bottom maybe for easy access. Or would just a large belt pocket work better?

I was thinking the same thing.