2016 BC Goat hunt Recap

OP
Craig4791

Craig4791

WKR
We spent the next ten days hunting hard for moose and battling the weather. We saw lots of moose but all were sub legal bulls except for one that we literally spotted hanging out in goat country. We made a play on him right at dark but got up to where he was with just 30 min of light left and he was gone.

OP
Craig4791

Craig4791

WKR
The legal bull we found was up above the snow line in this photo.

the view when we reached the top and he was nowhere to be found...

OP
Craig4791

Craig4791

WKR
Jon and his guides persistence payed off on day 12 and Jon was able to shoot a good bull with his rifle. I hunted hard till the last day and ultimately ate tag soup for moose.

OP
Craig4791

Craig4791

WKR

You know its getting cold when the river starts freezing over...

OP
Craig4791

Craig4791

WKR
On the ride out we came to a few spots that had frozen pretty good. About 3 to 4 inches thick and the horses wouldn't dare walk on it.

Last edited:
OP
Craig4791

Craig4791

WKR
The hunt was a huge success and a true adventure which is exactly what I wanted. We rode horses around the mountains for 14 days in some absolutely epic country, the horses rarely did a single thing I asked them to….. We rode horses back many nights in the complete pitch black dark, crossing rivers and streams fully trusting that the horses knew the way, we tested our bodies physically making multiple stalks several thousand feet in elevation just to go right back down and do it again, we met new friends and told old stories back at camp every night. I do it again in a heartbeat!

Last edited:

machinethomas

Lil-Rokslider
Very very cool write up! Great pictures to go with it. Those horses look tough! Looks like an amazing experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

choovhntr

WKR
Congrats on the goat and a successful trip. I'm trying to put together a similar hunt for 2019 and this just fueled the fire even more. Thanks for the write up and all the pics.

Clarktar

WKR
Way to go Craig!! That is truly an adventure of a life time. Your old DT1 is still going strong for me.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Sounds like a awesome hunt in some beautiful country! Congrats on you goat!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Embarger

FNG
Awesome looking country! Congrats on a great goat. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

handwerk

WKR
Congrats to you guys on taking some beautiful animals in amazing country, thanks for the write up and all the wonderful pictures...stunning!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Amazing photos what an adventure. Great write-up felt I was there with you

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk