2016 BC Goat hunt Recap

We spent the next ten days hunting hard for moose and battling the weather. We saw lots of moose but all were sub legal bulls except for one that we literally spotted hanging out in goat country. We made a play on him right at dark but got up to where he was with just 30 min of light left and he was gone.

The legal bull we found was up above the snow line in this photo.

the view when we reached the top and he was nowhere to be found...

Jon and his guides persistence payed off on day 12 and Jon was able to shoot a good bull with his rifle. I hunted hard till the last day and ultimately ate tag soup for moose.

On the ride out we came to a few spots that had frozen pretty good. About 3 to 4 inches thick and the horses wouldn't dare walk on it.

Last edited:
The hunt was a huge success and a true adventure which is exactly what I wanted. We rode horses around the mountains for 14 days in some absolutely epic country, the horses rarely did a single thing I asked them to….. We rode horses back many nights in the complete pitch black dark, crossing rivers and streams fully trusting that the horses knew the way, we tested our bodies physically making multiple stalks several thousand feet in elevation just to go right back down and do it again, we met new friends and told old stories back at camp every night. I do it again in a heartbeat!

Last edited:
Very very cool write up! Great pictures to go with it. Those horses look tough! Looks like an amazing experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on the goat and a successful trip. I'm trying to put together a similar hunt for 2019 and this just fueled the fire even more. Thanks for the write up and all the pics.

Way to go Craig!! That is truly an adventure of a life time. Your old DT1 is still going strong for me.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Awesome looking country! Congrats on a great goat. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Congrats to you guys on taking some beautiful animals in amazing country, thanks for the write up and all the wonderful pictures...stunning!

Back