2017 Recap, Already thinking about 2018 Elk Hunt.

tommymo

Lil-Rokslider
My 2018 Elk hunt is really up in the air this year, our family has a lot going on and I really won't know if heading out is going to be a reality until the beginning of September. With that being said this years trip was quickly turned upside down with the loss of my hunting buddy, I had to quickly figure out how to fly out, since the original plan was to use his truck to drive.

I quickly realized that my budget was going to get blown out from splitting travel expenses in half to now doubling, having to buy an SKB case to transport my gear, the potential cost in shipping gear back home, butcher, and meat via carry on/extra checked in language. At this point after two years in the making I was going to try my best not to let money get in the way. Needless to say I had a plan and was determined to make it work. I had a packer on stand by, contacted a butcher who assured me that as long as I gave him 24 hours my meat would be boxed into 48 lb wax boxes frozen, ready to be checked in. I would get some rubber maid containers that I would zip tie closed to ensure the wax boxes wouldn't get banged up once checked in.

The flight out was great, I landed on time and was at my car rental at 11am. Upon arrival to get my PICK UP TRUCK, I was informed that my reservation could not be honored since there was none, the only vehicle available was a Jeep Renege with practically bald tires, or my other choices were coupes and sedans. So I took the Jeep and was on my way.

Upon arrival to the trail head, Idaho had some rain and the roads were a little soft, unbeknownst to me I had to cross a small creek in order to get to the trail head and was a little nervous whether or not I was going to make it over, well the little engine that could made it and off I was to the trail head. I spent the next 3 days hunting in snow and scattered rain showers, the following 2 days had temps in the mid 60s and had a ball, I came really close to shooting a great bull on the 5th morning. The weather for the remainder of the week, starting in the afternoon, was going to be on and off heavy rain, so I was thinking that I needed to get back to the Jeep and drive to another location since that creek crossing was scaring me.

I got off the mountain and to the rental late in the afternoon, I was praying that the 2 days of sun would of dried up the roads a bit, but unfortunately the roads were absolutely crap in some areas and was sliding around making my way back towards the creek crossing thinking I was screwed. I thought for sure I was not going to make it across the creek, I approached the creek and was scared, I was like I am going to F**k this rental up......well looks like my buddy was on my side and I was able to make it across and up the trail with only a couple of new gray hairs lol. I kept boxing my way up to another area, but had to pull over when the rain started to come down hard and was to dark to drive.

I spent the night in the rental, which wasn't too bad since I was able to turn on the heat to stay warm through out the night. The next morning I woke up to more rain and more mud, the roads were worst and the forecast wasn't letting up. At this point I had no cell service, the radio stations I was getting were 2 hours away and forecasting full rain from the previous days forecast of scatted rain. I decided to keep pushing to a near by nob on the road hoping I could get some cell service to get a better handle on the forecast, the ride wasn't terrible as the road was better maintained. Upon arriving at the nob I was able to get service and check weather, at this point the forecast was 100% rain for the next 3 out of 4 days.

I spent that day trying to make the best of it by hiking up into a drainage, thank God for trekking poles, otherwise I am pretty sure I would of slipped and fallen a handful of times trying to make it up, down, and sideways. At this point by boots were so covered in mud it actually helped me maintain a better grip at the cost of bricks being attached to my feet LOL. After a couple of hours I starting to think if this was smart. I'm solo, I have a crappy car, roads were getting pretty crappy, and the conditions to hunt weren't very safe. I ended up hunting to just about dusk before making my way back down to the Jeep, it sucked but I took my time and made it back safe and sound.

I spent another night in the car, but at least I had cell phone service so I was able to stay sane. I called my dad and after a long talk I decided that I was going to see if I could rebook my flight and come home 3 days earlier. I called Delta and after speaking with the rep I quickly realized that the call to my Dad was a God sent. The rep informed me that based on the hurricanes/Tropical storms on the East coast that my original flight may be delayed for up to 2 days and that there was no guarantee that the rebooked flight would take off since they were already experiencing delays, with that said I rebooked and headed back down to SLC.

I arrived at the rental place at 6am the next morning, since I came in 3 days early I still had to pay for the rental days, so that sucked. My flight was at 11:30 and I this point I couldn't wait to get back home to the wife and kids. Well the flight kept on getting delayed and I was beginning to think I was going to be stuck in SLC for the next couple of days, fortunately that was not the case and at 6pm I was on my way home!

This trip has officially broke me, I don't want to do any other type of big game hunting other then Elk!!!!! So I am starting to plan my 2018 trip in the event family issues work out, I will be heading out some time in September!

My dilemma!!!!

So flying took me a total of 12 hours from home to trail head and based on comparing the numbers based on todays diesel prices and flight/rentals it would cost me 146 dollars more to fly out. With that said I would be able to get another 3 days of hunting and 1 less vacation day which would be great. On the other hand if I was able to put some thing down I would increase my cost of the trip by nearly 37% or $1300.00 and the idea of potentially dealing with a rental if the conditions turn really sucked the wind out of my sails.

Driving would take me 32 hours each way. I'm thinking if I left after work on a Thursday I could make it to the trail head on Sunday by 2pm. What sucks the most is doing this solo, which I don't care other then its going to take me longer versus if I had some one to go split the driving with and get to the trail quicker.

Any advice from guys making a similar haul out solo? What are your travel plans? How many hours are you driving? I really like the idea of having my own truck, would be great to be able to pack some extra cloths, better food, etc. I love the idea of back packing in, I had a blast. But I must say from the looks of it, the guys truck camping look like they have it made with some comforts, their was a group of guys who were out there for 2 weeks and when I got back to the truck they were packing up, they limited out on 5 bulls and a cow. They basically just drove to different spots in the unit and hunted for the day, seemed to work for them, slept in wall tents on cots with stoves and ate real food everyday LOL. Makes me wonder if having a couple extra days to hunt with the additional expenses and worry (rental/flight) really worth it.

Deepshax

WKR
Sounds like you had a great trip! I love road tripping but only have ever done long hauls with another person. I know I could a 24+ hr haul by myself but would need some time to re-coop once I got to where I needed to be. My solo plans have always included flying to maximize time-off and save energy (which is a priceless commodity living at sea level). But you're right about everything else, having your packed truck with all your supplies and an easy way to get meat home is definitely an advantage once you're there.

Where in NJ are you?

joejoe8

FNG
We flew this year also, I'll do it again next year. From my house to Idaho is 36 hours. Having a extra 3 days of hunting was worth it costing a lil more. I was lucky enough to kill a decent 6p last morning. Made it to the processor with 10min to spare. I used this company to get the meat home. FFE > Home It cost me $400 to have it delivered to my work still frozen. Luckily i had a buddy hunting the same area 3 weeks after my hunt so he brought the antlers home. Glad I had a plan already in place!

OP
T

tommymo

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you had a great trip! I love road tripping but only have ever done long hauls with another person. I know I could a 24+ hr haul by myself but would need some time to re-coop once I got to where I needed to be. My solo plans have always included flying to maximize time-off and save energy (which is a priceless commodity living at sea level). But you're right about everything else, having your packed truck with all your supplies and an easy way to get meat home is definitely an advantage once you're there.

Where in NJ are you?

I am from Bergen county

OP
T

tommymo

Lil-Rokslider
We flew this year also, I'll do it again next year. From my house to Idaho is 36 hours. Having a extra 3 days of hunting was worth it costing a lil more. I was lucky enough to kill a decent 6p last morning. Made it to the processor with 10min to spare. I used this company to get the meat home. FFE > Home It cost me $400 to have it delivered to my work still frozen. Luckily i had a buddy hunting the same area 3 weeks after my hunt so he brought the antlers home. Glad I had a plan already in place!

Thanks Joe, this was very helpful.