2018 Elk Hunting Partner

tmiller

FNG
Completed my 2017 OTC archery elk hunt in CO. Worked with an outfitter, had a few chances, but couldn't close the deal. I learned alot, validated that my fitness is good, and elevation wasn't a problem. I live in CA, am 57 years old, and have killed a couple of elk using rifle... but really prefer archery hunting.

For 2018, I'm looking for a partner or two for a DIY elk hunt. IMO, a partner is a requirement in order to get the meat out quickly in the summer heat. I am planning an OTC archery elk hunt in SW CO. Hunted GMU 65 in 2017, but would like to hunt GMU 70/71 in 2018, but would be open to other GMU as well.

If you are looking for a partner, please let me know.

Do you have your tags yet? Would you consider Montana for 2018 elk bow season?

I am also from CA, also 57, have yet to kill an elk but plan on doing it with a rifle, if you change your mind about the stick and string I'd be interested in talking. Also familiar with GMU 65. Good luck.

I have hunted the bear river area in Idaho for 5 years and Colorado GMU 42 a few times on DIY archery hunts. In 2016 I hunted Colorado GMU 77 with Back Country Outfitters on a drop camp. Had 6 guys in camp. Not many elk seen. One hunter had a shot opprotunity. I reside in Michigan, I am 61 years of age, in good shape. I am looking to partner up with a serious hunter for a remote DIY archery hunt for 2018. It seems to be difficult to get guys to commit.

Last edited:
I'm totally down. Im 50 this year. Started my 2018 elk season conditioning this month. I moved to Montana last summer. Couldn't get the chance to hunt at all in 2017 with buying a new property and getting settled. This is my first year hunting Montana. Looking for partners who aren't afraid of getting a few miles into the back country. I mainly bow hunt. Let me know if anyone is interested in getting off the better path this bow season. Since I'm already out here I can do all the pre season scouting.

I'm 58 ,bad knees. I'm slow but steady. 2 of us killed last year, during first week in a unit that has 11% success. My partner killed at dusk, and we didn't finish till 2am. I know the unit well, and have cameras out all summer. Tree stand experience is key. Also, I'm a meat hunter. If you need horns, we probably won't fit. Hunt outside of Durango in OTC unit.
Let me know.
Cheers!
Bret

I'm 58 ,bad knees. I'm slow but steady. 2 of us killed last year, during first week in a unit that has 11% success. My partner killed at dusk, and we didn't finish till 2am. I know the unit well, and have cameras out all summer. Tree stand experience is key. Also, I'm a meat hunter. If you need horns, we probably won't fit. Hunt outside of Durango in OTC unit.
Let me know.
Cheers!
Bret
I am 51. I hunted in GMU 70 in 2014 and 2015. With not much luck. I would love to hunt CO again. I am in the draw in Montana. If I do not draw, I would be interested in CO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I'm 55 and from Michigan and in real good shape. Love archery and am obsessed with archery bull kill. Completed 3 rd Colorado backcountry hunt. Last year, I came so very close! All otc and looking to do more.

Went with a small group that may not hold up, and I too am looking for a solid dependable partner(s) for long term adventure. Once I get my bull, open to other states and game. Moose, pronhorn, mule deer and mountain caribou are on my bucket list.

John

Someone needs to start "geezers in the hills" group of elk hunters. I bet we could have a blast hunting elk in various states.:cool:

I've met three dudes off of this site that I have hunted with over the last three years, with many more to come. Two were in Montana/Kansas, and one here in Colorado. I live and work here in Colorado, so last year they all came out here to hunt. It was a pretty good time, but a rough year over all. I am expecting them back again this season so I have been busy scouting.

Hey John, I live in Michigan also and am looking to partner up with someone or a group for a 2018 archery elk DIY hunt. I also am open to other species. Let me know if you are still looking to partner up with someone.

Hi nice to meet you. I too am looking for some partners this coming fall. I Had a hunt planned but due to some personal issues my partner had to back out. If you are still considering partnering up let me know. I have hunted CO GMU 42 & 77 and the Bear River area in ID. Most hunts gave been DYI but have used an Outfitter drop camp onon a couple occasions. 810 730 9914

2018+ hunting partner

Hi, nice to meet you. I too am looking to partner with someone or a small group for an archery elk this September. I gave hunted CO GMU 42 and 77 and the Bear River area in ID. I had a hunt planned for 2018 but due to personal issues my friend had to back out. Most hunts have been DYI, but have used an Outfitter drop camp on a few occasions.
If you are still looking to partner up with someone let me know. I reside in Michigan.

I'm living here in Montana. This is my first year as a resident. Very excited. Looking for someone or a small group to hunt arcery with this elk season. I live between Helena and Great Falls in the big belt Mountains. So I'm close enough to get some scouting in. I would like at least 2 other guys to hunt with. Not only for helping pack out meat but to also have calling set up. (Cow caller 75 yards behind d shooter type set up). Anyone who is willing to put in the extra effort and cross the next ridge to get it done would be a good team member. The one thing that attracts me to bow hunting elk is the teamwork. Please call me anytime. @406 475 4155. Let's talk and figure out a game plan. I'm not a horn Hunter, it's all about putting meat in the freezer!

Any of you guys from Michigan or we're ever you reside want to make a game plan and get it done give me a call. The advantage is I live here so I should be able to locate a herd to Target before season starts. 406 475 4155 Karl.

I'm totally down. Im 50 this year. Started my 2018 elk season conditioning this month. I moved to Montana last summer. Couldn't get the chance to hunt at all in 2017 with buying a new property and getting settled. This is my first year hunting Montana. Looking for partners who aren't afraid of getting a few miles into the back country. I mainly bow hunt. Let me know if anyone is interested in getting off the better path this bow season. Since I'm already out here I can do all the pre season scouting.

I am looking for a archery partner for the Trout creek drainage area in western Montana unite 121. It is on the boarder of Idaho and Montana. Will be a 3 mile hike in to set camp. I am going from afternoon of Aug 31st to Sept 4th This is a productive area that I have hunted before . This time my hunting buddies have prior commitments. So if someone is interested in partnering up for this archery season please let me know . My name is Rick I am 49 and a general contractor by trade and have plenty of energy for a back woods wilderness hunt . I just don’t want my wife to worry about me being in the woods for four day by my self.

Last edited:
Shraggs. I am in the same boat as you and live about 20-25 minutes from you. I have done about 10-12 backpack hunts and I am going to to Newfoundland next year moose hunting solo. If that’s something your interested in let me know.
Who would have ever guessed that it would so hard to get people to go hunting.
(616) 899-2632. Feel free to shoot me a text or call.

Luke

Back