2020 Cold Bow Challenge Question/Comment Thread

Well I said I’d post my cold shot... decided 10 burpees was better :rolleyes:. Now that arrow is no longer flying straight.Hoping it’s the insert that bent, not the broadhead

F9E750AE-F1D4-4928-ABD7-5D333D88F55A.jpeg

I found it helpful just having that picture of the shot. Im going to keep up with that, just snapping a picture of the first shot of the day. Its interesting to see any patterns in my day to day shooting and between individual broad heads.

Great idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think everyone participating [and following along] realizes this is more than just a "one shot a day" thing...or they should....I know I do.

This is really a "One shot for all the Marbles" test....and one we all should consider doing before taking our bows in the woods. I know I felt some nerves knowing that this one shot was going to be there for all to see- a little added pressure.

I have my own issues with a cold shot and a stick bow. [post #168].....and not feeling totally warmed up on that first shot. Others have their own individual issues. One comment we are seeing is "Effective ranges" shrinking.

Its a worthy exercise and one to incorporate into our practice routines....to work the kinks out. In bowhunting we typically don't get a lot of do overs....or a lot of shot opportunities.

I think what the Rokslide crew has done for us is to give us a little push to make these shots count. Thanks guys.

________

Thank you. I’m super pumped to see how many people are shooting earlier this year due to
the challenge—that’s a good thing!

I started practicing this way around 2015, that is really paying attention to that first arrow. Although I may continue to shoot groups for the day after that, I started to realize that I am not as good of a shot as I thought I was.

It made me realize that getting the reps in are super important, no doubt, you got to work on your form! And that’s why some years I’m over 2,000 arrows a year.

But I’m only as a good of a shot as I am on that first arrow out of a cold bow of the day. Just like on the mountain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hamskea is headquartered in northern Colorado. Great operation, customer service, and product.

Hybrid Pro Microtune is in stock at our local Scheels. Gonna run the bow in tomorrow after turkey hunting.

So glad we started this early. Way more focused than I would have been and September 1st is only 4 1/2 months away.

I just took my 3rd shot. Coming home, unwinding, and sending some arrows downrange is always relaxing, but this challenge has got me THINKING about getting home to shoot my shot. I love it!

Well I said I’d post my cold shot... decided 10 burpees was better :rolleyes:. Now that arrow is no longer flying straight.Hoping it’s the insert that bent, not the broadhead

View attachment 172710
Man I hope that is the case too! I’ve broken a lot of arrows this past year. Couple questions for you since in relatively new to this... do you gap shoot or instinctive? Either way, I found myself thinking about aiming way more then I normally do when just shooting. When I force an aim like that my shots generally aren’t good since I’m not focusing on back tension, pull through shot and break a clean release. I’m more aware of my gap when practicing form at long ranges, but generally shoot more consistent when i shoot instinctive at shorter distances then trying to be aware of the gap (too much going on in my head to make it fluid). I obviously will only be shooting shorter shots at game, so maybe I should be practicing instincive shorter shots more to prepare for fall.

Man I hope that is the case too! I’ve broken a lot of arrows this past year. Couple questions for you since in relatively new to this... do you gap shoot or instinctive? Either way, I found myself thinking about aiming way more then I normally do when just shooting. When I force an aim like that my shots generally aren’t good since I’m not focusing on back tension, pull through shot and break a clean release. I’m more aware of my gap when practicing form at long ranges, but generally shoot more consistent when i shoot instinctive at shorter distances then trying to be aware of the gap (too much going on in my head to make it fluid). I obviously will only be shooting shorter shots at game, so maybe I should be practicing instincive shorter shots more to prepare for fall.
I’m gapstinctive. I gap at the riser, but after a few weeks with a particular bow my mind automatically goes pretty instinctive.
I’m a big fan of Tom Clum and Joel Turner as archery coaches. They’re both going to tell you that aiming should be handed over to the subconscious mind before finishing the shot execution. I absolutely agree with them. Learn to diagnose your mental game as well as physical when you shoot. This shot today I was actually very happy with my mental execution of the shot. My muscles just failed me. I call that a success. I wouldn’t be doing push-ups in the woods after all.

Back