2020 Cold Bow Challenge Question/Comment Thread

TravisIN

WKR
I’m amazed at the number of matrix targets out there. May have to retire the old Block Vault and order one.

It’s expensive and was hard for me to bite the bullet. But I shoot a lot so it’s a good investment and am very very happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheCougar

WKR
@TheCougar waiting on that day 5 shot....

Don't let me be the only on to ruin an Exodus on this challenge.

The wagon survives. Although much of the RS community is disappointed with the outcome, I have one satisfied customer.

4b48d5f48b29f1a600b5bb716a150207.jpg

Finished up. I actually enjoyed just shooting one arrow a day. I dont practice enough because I dont feel like I have time to go out and shoot for a while. Now I know I can build confidence and get better with one arrow a day.

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Well yesterday's 100 yard Day 4 shot was so pretty I wanted to frame it, but this morning I struggled to hold steady and hit high right. My goal was to keep it in a caribou sized vitals and I think all shots met this although just barely with today's. This challenge pushed me to get my new bow well tuned and gave me a great head start to being ready when I get off that bush plane four months from now. Thanks to everyone that participated and good hunting!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
The wagon survives. Although much of the RS community is disappointed with the outcome, I have one satisfied customer.

4b48d5f48b29f1a600b5bb716a150207.jpg

What a cutie! Great shot too

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Well yesterday's 100 yard Day 4 shot was so pretty I wanted to frame it, but this morning I struggled to hold steady and hit high right. My goal was to keep it in a caribou sized vitals and I think all shots met this although just barely with today's. This challenge pushed me to get my new bow well tuned and gave me a great head start to being ready when I get off that bush plane four months from now. Thanks to everyone that participated and good hunting!

Thanks for coming out Bill and for the support with the prize giveaway

TravisIN

WKR
I cant be the only one to sift throught all 200+ shooter's post to check out all the bow/arrow setups right? Im a gear junky sobit was cool seeing all the different rigs Noticed alot of guys shooting the AAE Max stealth vanes, gonna have to check them out!

My favorite part of any of the aae max vanes is, if you use the whole system, those suckers are staying on there. They are basically welded on.

Tag_Soup

WKR
I hope our state allows the archery shops to open soon, I feel for those guys.

My serving is starting to split a little and would like to get a tune up on the bow.

Try calling your shop. They may be taking curbside orders. I will be taking my bow in next week for a restring, just had to call ahead. I’m sure they would appreciate the work with the shutdown. I’m in Idaho though so take it with a grain of salt...may be different over there

ColoradoV

WKR
Fun to see how my 5 shots turned out.. Made the point to shoot a shot every day even if I had to wait for wind to calm a bit. My 8 year old and 5 year old girlz are shooting 2-4 times a week in here and my wife got her first bow about a month ago so she is on the same clip. Or while I am spending quite a bit more time over on the range I seem to be actually shooting less lol. Good times..

One last observation I have is that while I felt good about my MER at 52 I almost competed at 16. That is because I missed the buck I ended up getting this year at 16 yards... We were in cliff bands and I shot almost straight down after peaking over rock I was leaning on.. After looking at pics and picking the shot apart I would say the arrow flew 6 maybe 7 yards.. While I had practiced down angle shots never had I practiced a almost straight down shot and it showed I missed. Or it is good to get in as much practice in as many "real world" terrain situations as you can as well as some laps on the range. Cool deal to see these shoots now where it is easier for folks to plan and get in some real wold shooting time.

Whisky

WKR
Finished up. I actually enjoyed just shooting one arrow a day. I dont practice enough because I dont feel like I have time to go out and shoot for a while. Now I know I can build confidence and get better with one arrow a day.

I like it to. I seem to put a lot more focus into 1 arrow per day vs if I'm shooting 30. I was holding longer at full draw and concentrating more on a proper shot process. Come to realize I probably have a little target panic issue going on.

Been continuing on, but added 10yds from the CBC. Got a ways to go before I can call 60 MER.

I cant be the only one to sift throught all 200+ shooter's post to check out all the bow/arrow setups right? Im a gear junky sobit was cool seeing all the different rigs🤘 Noticed alot of guys shooting the AAE Max stealth vanes, gonna have to check them out!
My favorite part of any of the aae max vanes is, if you use the whole system, those suckers are staying on there. They are basically welded on.

This is actually the problem I have with them. I don't have issues with vane adhesion as it is, however I do tear vanes up on occasion. I have ruined more than one arrow getting AAE vanes off. I just use flex fletch or fusion now. No special high dollar glues, and they stick until you don't want them to. Not forever.

as.ks.ak

WKR
This is actually the problem I have with them. I don't have issues with vane adhesion as it is, however I do tear vanes up on occasion. I have ruined more than one arrow getting AAE vanes off. I just use flex fletch or fusion now. No special high dollar glues, and they stick until you don't want them to. Not forever.

That’s why I started using wraps. Not for the added stiffness necessarily, but so I don’t ruin arrows putting new vanes on. It’s a bit costly to put new wraps and vanes on to replace 1 vane, but my arrow shafts are mint still.

That’s why I started using wraps. Not for the added stiffness necessarily, but so I don’t ruin arrows putting new vanes on. It’s a bit costly to put new wraps and vanes on to replace 1 vane, but my arrow shafts are mint still.

I have been using wraps on my hunting arrows some, don't use them on target arrows. Usually I don't care to add any more weight than is necessary to the tail end of my shaft. Also the wraps aren't as durable in my experience, especially when cold. They do make for a clean arrow tho. Point is for me the standard glues and fletching seems to be the sweet spot.

as.ks.ak

WKR
I have been using wraps on my hunting arrows some, don't use them on target arrows. Usually I don't care to add any more weight than is necessary to the tail end of my shaft. Also the wraps aren't as durable in my experience, especially when cold. They do make for a clean arrow tho. Point is for me the standard glues and fletching seems to be the sweet spot.

Interesting on the cold weather comment. I just started using the wraps....I guess I’ll test that hypothesis in the coming year!