2020 elk success thread, post them up!

First elk. Second time trying for elk. New mexico unit 53 1st rifle. Last day and solo/public. I am hooked!
2bdcc40ca218013645f1152237a076ad.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Great thread, really enjoyed everyone's success pics.

Wife and my '20 elk, both hung whole, gotta love the ease of livin' among 'em....

Attachments

• IMG_5151.JPG
    IMG_5151.JPG
    415.6 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_5152.JPG
    IMG_5152.JPG
    336.5 KB · Views: 90
  • fullsizeoutput_fae.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_fae.jpeg
    433.5 KB · Views: 81
cd4763f483ff22638b8d6010613a96db.jpg

2020 Idaho stickbow bull

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great job! Tell us about the bow, specs/arrow weight/head

I enjoy the data points on traditional shot elk. Is that your first elk with trad gear?

I hunted with my recurve for elk in 19’ and got my first elk skunk in 15yrs, missed 4 easy shots at bulls (farthest was 18yds)

I had a mixture of bad luck and target panic denial. I hunted with my compound this year (actually bought one in July and set it up due to not being happy with my recurve shooting) and killed a bull with it, now in 21’ I have a lot more control of the amount of shooting I’ll be doing and will be back in the elk woods with a recurve because I will have no excuse not to be... I’m shooting good, have good control and a chip on my shoulder ;)

again, congrats! I understand the work that went into making that picture a reality, it’s a cool thing!

Thank you Roosiebull! This was in fact my first traditional harvest. And my first elk season hunting with a trad bow. I’ve shot a longbow for a long time but always harvested elk with my compound. I finally got to a point where I needed a new challenge. So I sold my compound and devoted everything to traditional. And I am extremely glad I did. I always had target panic shooting with a compound to a point that the sights would blur together. With my longbow, I shoot strictly “instinctive” so it’s more of a point and click approach and I don’t panic. I also enjoy shooting my bow every day of the year now . Something I struggled to do when I had a compound.

My go to bow is a 64” stalker Wolverine longbow . 48@28 shooting 50.5# @ my 29” draw.

30.5” gold tip traditional classics arrows
78grain half in/outsert.
100 grain magnus stinger broadheads (switching to 125gr)
3- 5” rw feathers (just changed to 4-2” aae vanes”)

Thank you Roosiebull! This was in fact my first traditional harvest. And my first elk season hunting with a trad bow. I’ve shot a longbow for a long time but always harvested elk with my compound. I finally got to a point where I needed a new challenge. So I sold my compound and devoted everything to traditional. And I am extremely glad I did. I always had target panic shooting with a compound to a point that the sights would blur together. With my longbow, I shoot strictly “instinctive” so it’s more of a point and click approach and I don’t panic. I also enjoy shooting my bow every day of the year now . Something I struggled to do when I had a compound.

My go to bow is a 64” stalker Wolverine longbow . 48@28 shooting 50.5# @ my 29” draw.

30.5” gold tip traditional classics arrows
78grain half in/outsert.
100 grain magnus stinger broadheads (switching to 125gr)
3- 5” rw feathers (just changed to 4-2” aae vanes”)

How has the switch to trad vanes been for you? Are you shooting off the shelf?

Back