2022 Helicopter Rescue - Teton County Elk Hunt

LoggerDan

WKR
Thanks for that. Your video was edited pretty doggone nicely. Looked like you guys had a heckuva time and a great trip.

OP
f16jack

f16jack

WKR
You're welcome. It's a great hunt and I'd do it every year if I could. I went the prior year without a tag just as an extra set of hands around camp and a meat hauler. Just good to be out in the wilderness.

OP
f16jack

f16jack

WKR
Earlier we had located a landing zone for the SAR and I had backcrawled several hundred yards up the ridge to get to the LZ. So, when it was time to get to the chopper another 30 yards worth of back crawling was no issue. They wanted to carry me to the helicopter for the extract but I said I could get there myself. I couldn't walk or bend my leg, but I could simply drag it as I crabbed backwards.

BjornF16

WKR
Earlier we had located a landing zone for the SAR and I had backcrawled several hundred yards up the ridge to get to the LZ. So, when it was time to get to the chopper another 30 yards worth of back crawling was no issue. They wanted to carry me to the helicopter for the extract but I said I could get there myself. I couldn't walk or bend my leg, but I could simply drag it as I crabbed backwards.
lol...I thought maybe they made you do that

Ucsdryder

WKR
Very well done video!

Your attitude throughout put a smile on my face.

Do I dare ask how much the lift was?

OP
f16jack

f16jack

WKR
Thanks for the note.
The lift was no cost to me.
Here's how it works:
1. Every state has its own methods of conducting SAR.
2. In Wyoming, SAR is the responsibility of each country Sheriff.
3. The Sheriff has a budget for SAR.
4. Volunteer organizations, like the Teton County SAR, assist the Sheriff and may receive funding and support from him.
5. The Sheriff has no ability to bill or receive payment for any services provided.

So - I got injured, used the Garmin InReach to call for extract, and the request was routed to several of the closest agencies that might assist. Teton county said they could do it, and the Teton Country SAR (a volunteer organization), with an available forest service helicopter that is not dedicated to them, headed up the rescue.

The first person that had me sign a form related to insurance or payment was the ambulance when we landed the helicopter at the SAR HQ north of Jackson. The driver said, "if you want transport to the hospital please sign here." My response was "well, I'm not walking and I don't see any taxis, so I guess I'd better sign."

OP
f16jack

f16jack

WKR
Thanks for the compliment. I'm working on my video skills. Adobe Permiere Pro is very capable.
Harrison Ford would have been a good addition.

OP
f16jack

f16jack

WKR
So..
Did you rupture your patellar tendon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's what I thought, and what I said in the video. It turns out yes and no. The quad muscle (above the knee) is attached by a tendon to the kneecap. This attachment is known as the Quad tendon. This same tendon, though, continues over the kneecap and then attaches to the shinbone (tibia). This lower half is known as the Patellar Tendon. Because it holds two bones together, though (the kneecap and the tibia), it is technically a ligament.
So, one long tendon from the quad muscle to the tibia, with the kneecap conveniently in the middle. The upper half is called the quad tendon. The lower half is called the patellar tendon.

3.jpg

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Come on. Those guys could have put you on the stretcher! That’s BS they made you crawl to the helicopter. 😂

I pay both the “insurances” for the InReach; would you mind going into the details of how all that was handled? I’m often on Kodiak and I can imagine a lot of situations where the Coast Guard is coming for me guns a blazing!

OP
f16jack

f16jack

WKR
I don't know Alaska's setup for reimbursement of rescue. InReach does have the additional insurance you can buy to cover these costs worldwide. There are also other insurances you can buy.
In Wyoming it is no cost to the rescued person.

wyosteve

WKR
Next time someone complains about Wyo. nonresident license costs, I'll send them to this thread. How many other states will chopper someone out at no cost!!

OP
f16jack

f16jack

WKR
Next time someone complains about Wyo. nonresident license costs, I'll send them to this thread. How many other states will chopper someone out at no cost!!
Interesting thought. I'm pretty sure, though, that the Sheriff and his SAR are funded out of County taxes. The license fees go to the State Fish and Game. These fees are probably not shared with local sheriff's. See: https://wyomingwildlife.org/what-sportsmen-dollars-fund-the-wyoming-game-and-fish-department/