2022 sheds.

Marble

WKR
Anyone finding any yet?

We went predator/ shed hunting yesterday. Nothing...

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

All the bucks/bulls I’ve seen still have them attached. Besides, there’s still a good bit of snow cover here still to find them.

jfs82

WKR
I'm a handful of miles from the coast and I've been finding some the last few weeks.

OP
M

Marble

WKR
Thanks guys. I'll hit the ranch this weekend and see what I get.

OP
M

Marble

WKR
Saw one medium size buck with head gear on Wednesday. I imagine most should have dropped by now.

i saw a buck yesterday that i see fairly often from late Oct until he turns hard horned... easy to identify because he is the biggest bodied buck i have ever seen, and yesterday i saw him driving back south and his head was bare.... big white face, giant chocolate body and no bone... he looked weird without antlers.

i haven't found a shed though, and i have been logging some miles in the woods. found a really big bull a couple weeks ago that is running a very tight schedule, so i'm hoping he drops soon, because i think i'll find his sheds

OP
M

Marble

WKR
I went and checked cameras today and also on our newest landowner...long story..

Anyways, found two bedded ucks at about 200 yards in the oaks. One had horns, the other didn't. Kind of a heavy horned narrow 3x3. I went and checked the area and found what could be a match to an antler from last year.

Wife and I'll will go comb the area better later this week.

OP
M

Marble

WKR
I was scouting for turkey yesterday and found a fairly large group. Haven't broken up yet.

Standing in the turkeys were two bucks that had shedded. One regular standard looking buck, the other...super old. Total blacked out face and gray from the eyes to the nose. He looked old in the face. Like an old man.

Huge shoulders, humped back, hanging belly and big Ole ass on him. My daughter killed a blacktail that went on the hook at 135, meat and bone. This one was much larger. Mule deerish. Even though I'm west of I-5.

This particular ranch has #1 typical record for archery (or did) and #6 non typical for blacktail in CA. At one time this was true. It doesnt hold those genes anymore.

I was scouting for turkey yesterday and found a fairly large group. Haven't broken up yet.

Standing in the turkeys were two bucks that had shedded. One regular standard looking buck, the other...super old. Total blacked out face and gray from the eyes to the nose. He looked old in the face. Like an old man.

Huge shoulders, humped back, hanging belly and big Ole ass on him. My daughter killed a blacktail that went on the hook at 135, meat and bone. This one was much larger. Mule deerish. Even though I'm west of I-5.

This particular ranch has #1 typical record for archery (or did) and #6 non typical for blacktail in CA. At one time this was true. It doesnt hold those genes anymore.

You cannon kill the genes out of that herd. They are still there, you just need the proper food and age class.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Yep. Shasta County

That’s some cool looking country. Pretty wild how much blacktail habitat varies in a relatively small chunk of coast line… I have never had much luck finding blacktail sheds, the ones I do find are on accident, but some of that Cali terrain looks like you could have some deliberate success.

I found a nice shed archery season this year and it was on a ridge I gave up on trying to get up, it was salmonberry so thick I got stuck, couldn’t make it any further and I had just crawled about 100yds on hands and knees hoping it would open up

The shed was in the only little 10’ opening (using the term opening loosely) and I was thinking “how could you find this on purpose?”

One big bull shed I found only because I almost impaled myself on it after tripping over a fallen log in the brush… would have never seen it had I not fallen on it, haha

I still try, but it’s a lot easier to collect antlers for me in the fall, when they are still on their heads

OP
M

Marble

WKR
You cannon kill the genes out of that herd. They are still there, you just need the proper food and age class.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
I would think the same thing. But I'm not sure. It's 3500 acres. We have great feed on the ranch and a water. In 2010 and 2011, there was another guy on the ranch hunting too. He and his friends killed atleast 4 bucks, maybe 6, the #6 i mentioned was one of them.

In the last 5 years of trail cameras, only 3 of them have shown bucks 4 point or better. But the bucks are tall, lots of mass and wide. A couple look 24ish on camera. And they survive! I see them from year to year and identify them by ears and horns.

This last year thwr3 was one really good buck on camera. Only saw him one time. Didn't look old but he had mass, length and was atleast a 4x4, maybe 5th on one side. But then water dried up and the deer left.

I'm excited to see what this year has to bring. Cattle should be gone mid may..

OP
M

Marble

WKR
That’s some cool looking country. Pretty wild how much blacktail habitat varies in a relatively small chunk of coast line… I have never had much luck finding blacktail sheds, the ones I do find are on accident, but some of that Cali terrain looks like you could have some deliberate success.

I found a nice shed archery season this year and it was on a ridge I gave up on trying to get up, it was salmonberry so thick I got stuck, couldn’t make it any further and I had just crawled about 100yds on hands and knees hoping it would open up

The shed was in the only little 10’ opening (using the term opening loosely) and I was thinking “how could you find this on purpose?”

One big bull shed I found only because I almost impaled myself on it after tripping over a fallen log in the brush… would have never seen it had I not fallen on it, haha

I still try, but it’s a lot easier to collect antlers for me in the fall, when they are still on their heads
I'll be shed hunting next week while turkey scouting. For the most part the ranch is rolling hills with oaks and manzanita. Easy to see stuff. And I do spot sheds from distance.

Also, I'll be scouting for elk in OR this summer. We have 6 points and are planning an archery hunt there. Neither one of us have any knowledge of the entire state so we are gonna draw something and then have to figure it out.

I'll be shed hunting next week while turkey scouting. For the most part the ranch is rolling hills with oaks and manzanita. Easy to see stuff. And I do spot sheds from distance.

Also, I'll be scouting for elk in OR this summer. We have 6 points and are planning an archery hunt there. Neither one of us have any knowledge of the entire state so we are gonna draw something and then have to figure it out.

Are you looking at the east side of Oregon? If the west side, hit me up, but I know very little about the east side…. Unless you get REALLY lucky and draw Weneha ;) I know some awesome country in that unit

OP
M

Marble

WKR
Are you looking at the east side of Oregon? If the west side, hit me up, but I know very little about the east side…. Unless you get REALLY lucky and draw Weneha ;) I know some awesome country in that unit
We have not decided. Let me chat with my partner and see what he thinks. Thank you very much!

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
oops never have looked for black tails but the dark color interests me🤙

Last edited: