Blacktail Shed elevations

Or.hunter

WKR
Hey guys, I’ve hunted blacktail my whole life here in Oregon. From early October hunts to late season November hunts. What do you guys find the best elevations to find sheds in your areas? I have found quite a few around that 3k mark. Just thought I’d try some new elevations if guys had ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
Here at sea level its so dam thick not worth trying lol. Keep what you have going I would say

repins05

WKR
Yea agree.... being in the coast range think it makes no difference.

Sounds like OP might be Southern Oregon? Interested to see if there actually is a correlation between elevation and sheds for black tail.

Pdzoller

WKR
After the fires of 2020 we found half burnt sheds littered throughout the forest. I’d say the largest concentrations for mature bucks were in creek bottoms. We definitely wouldn’t have found any of them without the fire clearing out the vegetation.

I can’t make any statements about elevation other than our work was between 2500-3500.

OP
Or.hunter

Or.hunter

WKR
Yea agree.... being in the coast range think it makes no difference.

Sounds like OP might be Southern Oregon? Interested to see if there actually is a correlation between elevation and sheds for black tail.

That’s what I am trying to figure out, I’ve found some sheds lower but the majority of them have been 2500 -3ish. Maybe right below the deep snow line. Depending on year. I’m located just outside of Springfield.

FairWeatherFisher

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve only found one shed so far and it was at about 900’ elevation. Stumbled across it while chasing a turkey.

I’m also in the Eugene area, but rarely get up above 2k ft elevation outside of the general season.

Last edited:

jdoyle243

FNG
Hey guys, I’ve hunted blacktail my whole life here in Oregon. From early October hunts to late season November hunts. What do you guys find the best elevations to find sheds in your areas? I have found quite a few around that 3k mark. Just thought I’d try some new elevations if guys had ideas.

Depends on the part of the state you're hunting. Most of mine have been in that 1-2k range in burned areas. Easy to spot sheds + right at the snowline where the big boys hang when the weather kicks in. Best of luck to ya!