2023 Kentucky archery elk tag

I recently drew an either sex archery elk tag for Kentucky. I live in Washington state so I won’t be able to do much scouting, I’m eager to learn about the units and gain some information on the hunts. I currently don’t know what units to apply for but it sounds like public land access is a pretty common issue. If anyone has any insight and is willing to help it would be greatly appreciated.

Beaglegun

Lil-Rokslider
Contact elk biologists. They are there to help you succeed. Also, contact regional biologists after you draw a unit, or hopefully a good regulated area. You do not want to get stuck in an overflow unit :(

No need to bother biologists until you find out where you will be cussing, I mean hunting!

Chiggers are a big deal!!!!!! Do not underestimate the misery they cause up to the 1st week of Oct. Also, ragweed pollen is brutal in Sept and early Oct. It will give you a sinus infection if you are vulnerable. Bring a nettie pot!!!!

Last edited:
“How dare you mention the state!!!!”

Just kidding 🤣 Let us know how it goes, and good luck!

I admit I get a kick out seeing Eastward bound elk hunters! Maybe I’ll draw a TN elk tag at some point in the next 30 years.

I hunted KY bull, first rifle season in September last year. I would not say that public land access is an issue, it's just knowing where to go. All the outfitters hunt public, because that's where the elk are... supposed to be. Take a look at opportunity/harvest statistics over the last 5 years and curb your expectations accordingly. It is not the hunt that it used to be. Feel free to message me for more specific information

JoeB

Lil-Rokslider
from what I've heard recent years the majority of elk have moved to private land and that is controlled by guides. No firsthand experience just what I have heard from a couple guys I know that have hunted in the last five years.

KHNC

WKR
from what I've heard recent years the majority of elk have moved to private land and that is controlled by guides. No firsthand experience just what I have heard from a couple guys I know that have hunted in the last five years.
THis is correct from what Ive researched as well.

young7.3

WKR
I hunted bull archery back in 2016, went it wasnt an either sex tag. Hunted blue diamond coal mine back then. Was a fun hunt. Pm me if you’d like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drew a KY cow elk tag this year. Took 15 yrs to get it, but looking forward to hunt. Glad to hear of some success. I'll post after the hunt and provide my 2c.

Beaglegun

Lil-Rokslider
My daughter drew a unit 3 bull week 2 last year. Most mines are a grown up, autumn olive-sericia lezpedeza hog mess!!! We found elk on 3rd scouting trip. PM me, I can help you to not waste time and give up after 2 days. Outfitters are huntin the same mines that anybody can hunt

Tegr0429

Lil-Rokslider
I recently drew an either sex archery elk tag for Kentucky. I live in Washington state so I won’t be able to do much scouting, I’m eager to learn about the units and gain some information on the hunts. I currently don’t know what units to apply for but it sounds like public land access is a pretty common issue. If anyone has any insight and is willing to help it would be greatly appreciated.
How did your hunt go?