2024 Cold Bore Challenge Plans

Antares

WKR
Just curious what everyone is thinking about this summer's Cold Bore Challenge. Are you planning on doing anything different than last year? If you didn't participate last year, are you planning to this year? Etc.

Last year, I set up a 465 yard. I hit my first shot and missed the second (underestimated wind). I was shooting my .223 Rem off a bipod. I'm still thinking about it 6 months later. I don't think I've ever thought about a single miss so much. So it was clearly a good learning experience.

For the 2024 CBC I want to:
- Shoot my 6.5CM instead of my .223 Rem (to help cheat the wind a little better)
- Set up a shot in the mid-600 yard range (a lofty goal given my performance last year)
- I'd like the shot to be interesting (cross canyon, high angle, etc.)
- Shoot off my pack, no bipod
- Hit it all my shots
- Post video, not just photos

What's everyone else thinking?

Edited to add link to last years CBC thread (below).
https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/2023-cold-bore-challenge.310578/

Last edited:
Shooting my “delivery system” more in “field use”. Making sure my rifles “cone” is fully dialed in with a large “sample size”. Ensuring my “aiming device” is spot on from multiple “field positions”.

Did I use enough trigger words to get the elusive “parrot” title?

You've got me rolling laughing, not gonna lie.

I didn't participate in the Cold Bore Challenge last year but I intend to this year.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I didn’t do it last year. So, that’s different. I like your idea of a field position out in a canyon.

That’s pretty aggressive shooting the .223 at 465, even the 6.5 creed at 600. I subscribe to the smaller bullet low recoil club, but I only went as low at the 25 cal 133 gr bullets at about 3000 fps. It buys me just a little more forgiveness with wind, 3.3 inches less drift at 600 yards over a 6.5 cm load with 143 ELDx in a 10 mph wind.

At 600 yards, 10 mph wind is still only 13.4 inches for me and a 2 mph wind is only 3.9 inches. On a 10 inch plate I would have miss the wind call pretty big. I could call it a 6 mph wind and hold the 8.7 and still be on the plate.

I am thinking my attempt will have to be in the 575-625 range to qualify for a second try past 600. I like the idea of the pressure to make it more realistic.

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
I'm wanting to play this year if I have gear ready.

Have a new rifle coming late March and about to start load work on hammers in my 7 saum for short to medium range work.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
One way to be more successful in the cold bore challenge is to test yourself often. I posted some “DaTa” in the Maven thread last weekend after a really fun field day with a friend.

I challenged myself with a “cold bore challenge” details copied from that thread…

“On the way back I threw an 8 inch target up on a cactus and drove back out of the canyon in the Jeep. Gave myself 30 seconds to grab rifle, locate the target, range it, get a wind call, setup for a shot, and see if I could hit it. Ended up being a 754 yard shot, short Spartan bipod up front, light rain jacket as rear rest, shooting off the hood of the jeep. Left parallax alone as usual and got a shot off in 19 seconds.”

IMG_0112.jpeg

IMG_6342.jpeg

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
^^^^
Agreed. I'm having a little seller's remorse. After the 22 season I sold a rock solid custom 30 nosler as it was limited in a couple factors that I regretted almost immediately after buying. What it didn't lack was accuracy with 230 bergers and cold bore hits. I wish I could find the target but prior to my 22 elk hung I did my own cold bore stopping at the range on the way home from work 6 days straight. I shot 600, 500 and 400 then repeated. When doing the math for moa at each distance then measuring each shot from dead center is came put to .5. The two 600 yard shots were amazing while a pulled shot at 400 hurt my average.

My 7 saum hasn't proven to have the consistency of the 30 nos but is a shooter with 180 hybrids.

OP
Antares

Antares

WKR
I didn’t do it last year. So, that’s different. I like your idea of a field position out in a canyon.

That’s pretty aggressive shooting the .223 at 465, even the 6.5 creed at 600. I subscribe to the smaller bullet low recoil club, but I only went as low at the 25 cal 133 gr bullets at about 3000 fps. It buys me just a little more forgiveness with wind, 3.3 inches less drift at 600 yards over a 6.5 cm load with 143 ELDx in a 10 mph wind.

Yeah, those are just my goals. If practice isn't going well, I'll dumb down my expectations. I'd rather get two first round hits in the low 500s, than miss both shots in the mid 600s.

However, I will have a Rokstok by then, so I'm pretty much expecting the rifle to shoot itself.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yeah, those are just my goals. If practice isn't going well, I'll dumb down my expectations. I'd rather get two first round hits in the low 500s, than miss both shots in the mid 600s.

However, I will have a Rokstok by then, so I'm pretty much expecting the rifle to shoot itself.
Get some purposeful practice and 500 is almost automatic with a decent wind call on a 10” target. 600 isn’t much different.

That assumes good ammo of course.

OP
Antares

Antares

WKR
Get some purposeful practice and 500 is almost automatic with a decent wind call on a 10” target. 600 isn’t much different.

That assumes good ammo of course.

Yes, 500 yards is pretty "automatic" for me at the range, but when I start hanging plates in the mountains everything seems a lot harder to hit. That's why I like the CBC and specifically why I want to set up shots that are very much not like what you find at a square range.

Last edited:
OP
Antares

Antares

WKR
One way to be more successful in the cold bore challenge is to test yourself often. I posted some “DaTa” in the Maven thread last weekend after a really fun field day with a friend.

I challenged myself with a “cold bore challenge” details copied from that thread…

“On the way back I threw an 8 inch target up on a cactus and drove back out of the canyon in the Jeep. Gave myself 30 seconds to grab rifle, locate the target, range it, get a wind call, setup for a shot, and see if I could hit it. Ended up being a 754 yard shot, short Spartan bipod up front, light rain jacket as rear rest, shooting off the hood of the jeep. Left parallax alone as usual and got a shot off in 19 seconds.”

View attachment 660705

View attachment 660706

That is some impressive shooting! Same with your 2023 CBC shot; it definitely stood out from the crowd.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I’d like to not blow up my suppressor during this years challenge. 🤣

I think I will be a bit more bold with my MER and practice practice practice.
You’re a beast shooting that .338 RUM. I remember your post that was crazy.

You going to use the same rifle this summer for the CBC?

Geewhiz

WKR
You’re a beast shooting that .338 RUM. I remember your post that was crazy.

You going to use the same rifle this summer for the CBC?
Ha that’s the only rifle I’ve spent enough time with to feel comfortable at longer ranges. I only have one suppressor and it mostly lives on that rifle. I’ve become enough of a sissy that I don’t enjoy shooting unsuppressed as much anymore. Ive got a 30 cal can in jail for some other rifles but i likely won’t have it by June.

I like the rum cus I can shoot heavy bullets to help me cheat the wind. Gives me more of a buffer if (when) im off on my calls. Maybe if I’m gutsy I’ll claim 800 or so. 🤣

Last edited: