Another spend my money on tents thread

colby12

WKR
I’ve looked through here and found the data on each tent from others perspectives. I’m looking specifically for the cons of each tent and any significant pros that may not be obvious. I have a Redcliff light with a stove that I use with multiple people and have used it solo which is not great as far as weight goes, nice for the amount of room. I’m looking at tents that would allow me to move camp each day but be good for bad weather and winds. Not necessarily a true 4 season tent but close. I’m 5’10”, 200lbs. I use a Nemo 0 deg down bag or an El Coyote 10 deg quilt on a Nemo Tensor wide regular pad(both the original and alpine version) What I’m looking at and in no particular order are these:

SO Cimmaron light to be used with a nest and the pole.(open to inputs on use with trekking poles with bad weather). 4.5ish lbs with nest and pole. Also open to dyneema suggestions if the weight savings and other benefits are worth the money. Concerns with footprint and condensation. Are there a significant amount of places above treeline that wouldn’t be able to support this setup?

SG Sky Solus 1P weight a little more than 4lbs. Read all the Rokslide sponsor reviews and some other inputs. Started as what I was going to buy until I read more about other options.

Hilleberg Niak, haven’t read a bad thing about it. Probably wouldn’t have considered it if it wasn’t for @mtwarden ’s review. What does this tent have that the others do not?

Nemo Kunai 2p, similar in weight to the SG with a little more horizontal room, not as much vertical.

Thanks for your time.

Colby

Last edited:

Idaboy

WKR
I can't tell from your post about what you need vs what you want.......This is all a balance of weight, weather and comfort. The intended purpose of tent is to protect from elements, and then maybe comfort so you can rest well for hunt. So what is the weather you will be dealing with, what do you need to rest well and how much do you want to haul around?

- when/season are your hunts? Sept tent vs late Oct tent have different needs....if you are hunting all season long from early Sept and also late Oct/Nov, then need to consider potentially two different tents
-hot tent or not? Running a stove and then moving each day sounds like a PITA to me. But if you are always hunting in below freezing or snow, then hot tent may be a must have
- how often are you above treeline, vs "would be nice to use above treeline"...personally I don't like my teepee tent in windswept areas. Freestanding will always be more sturdy
-? Do you have a weight cut off?....if you don't want to deal with condensation as much then a tent with a fly will cut down on that (assuming not running a stove since stove will burn off simple condensation), but that will cost you weight

OP
C

colby12

WKR
My bad, and honestly why I’m asking is to get these things pointed out. I want a balance of weight vs durability. I will not be using it as a hot tent as I don’t want to tote around the stove or set it up everyday.

September to late October would be what I’m thinking. Earlier season high country hunts to rifle deer at the end of October.

Weight cutoff would be around 4.5lbs. Much heavier and I’d just deal with my Redcliff. I would like the ability to move around everyday rather than set up camp and be locked down or more reluctant to relocate. Treeline time is going to vary depending on the state. I’d like to be up there but some of the places don’t have that option or it doesn’t make sense.

I think I covered what you brought up but if anything else more specific, please let me know. Thanks for taking the time!

Last edited:

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the Cimmaron could handle the vast majority of weather likely to be encountered during a typical hunting season. It does have a large-ish footprint, so that limits where it can be pitched. As a single wall tent you're likely to suffer more condensation vs a double wall tent. I've found lengthening the guy lines and then pitching the tent a little higher eliminates a lot of condensation )of course with adverse weather, you have to lower the tent).

No experience w/ the Solus, but it share the same basic cross design as the Niak- it's a tried and true design that holds up well in bad weather. It also provides a small footprint (and the ability to quickly move a shelter if needed). That design is also very easy and fast to setup (easier/faster than a pyramid)

Looks like the Solus utilizes an almost solid fabric for the inner, better in winter when your experiencing a lot of spindrift. Less so for handling condensation. It also has slightly thicker poles than the Niak which would handle snow loads a little better.

The Niak gives you more room inside, but only one vestibule. It's also double walled as well, but utilizes mesh on the upper half of the inner, which helps with condensation (they also offer a full mesh inner for "summer" use). The Niak utilizes a side entry, much preferred by myself vs a front entry. The Niak is also a little lighter.

The Cimmaron does offer the option of using a stove which could provide useful at some point, the Solus/Niak do not.

Lots of give and take which makes it tougher to choose a shelter :)

OP
C

colby12

WKR
I think the Cimmaron could handle the vast majority of weather likely to be encountered during a typical hunting season. It does have a large-ish footprint, so that limits where it can be pitched. As a single wall tent you're likely to suffer more condensation vs a double wall tent. I've found lengthening the guy lines and then pitching the tent a little higher eliminates a lot of condensation )of course with adverse weather, you have to lower the tent).

No experience w/ the Solus, but it share the same basic cross design as the Niak- it's a tried and true design that holds up well in bad weather. It also provides a small footprint (and the ability to quickly move a shelter if needed). That design is also very easy and fast to setup (easier/faster than a pyramid)

Looks like the Solus utilizes an almost solid fabric for the inner, better in winter when your experiencing a lot of spindrift. Less so for handling condensation. It also has slightly thicker poles than the Niak which would handle snow loads a little better.

The Niak gives you more room inside, but only one vestibule. It's also double walled as well, but utilizes mesh on the upper half of the inner, which helps with condensation (they also offer a full mesh inner for "summer" use). The Niak utilizes a side entry, much preferred by myself vs a front entry. The Niak is also a little lighter.

The Cimmaron does offer the option of using a stove which could provide useful at some point, the Solus/Niak do not.

Lots of give and take which makes it tougher to choose a shelter :)
Thanks! Do you think/know if the nest inside the Cimmaron would help with condensation? What are the reasons you prefer the side door? From the reviews it seems like being able to cook under the vestibule and leaving boots completely out of the tent were the big reasons. Sounds like I might just be buying two tents and then have to make a gametime decision of which one goes.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yup the nest would help with condensation.

Easier to get in and out and cook, for me anyways. Had a front entry Black Diamond and didn’t like it much.

Wolfy180

FNG
Check out slingfin they make amazing tents lots of different models. I use the portal 2 for everything except full on winter conditions it’s 3lbs and extremely wind resistant for the weight

I’m running a Nemo Dagger OSMO 3p tent for when me and my kid camp and love it. Very sturdy, dual side entry, easy to put up or down by your self. I like it so much that I have not even pulled the 2p version I have out of the factory packing.

Out of the ones you listed, SG has a good reputation of people that aren’t paid to like their products always recommending their stuff in my research. I wouldn’t hesitate on their product if it checks all the boxes as I own one of the chillkoots and it’s an awesome bag as well.

Hilleberg I never seen a bad review on any of their tents that would give me pause, period. They have a reputation as being bomb proof.

No real knowledge about the cimarron tent so I’ll let others speak there.

sneaky

"DADDY"
TarpTent Scarp, either the 1 or the 2.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

I am now a huge seekoutide fan. I love my tipis. Why?
No floor and I can stand up inside one.

I don’t own a Cimarron but I do own a 4 man tipi (same size). That’s my recommendation. Plus you can run it hot if you want.

Gotcha_

FNG
Hi Colby, I saw this thread and thought I'd cross post. I'm looking at the same thing but found the below;

Did some math and the "lightweight" Cimmaron for what I'd get is gonna be 8.125 lb and $1225! Thinking this is a hidden weight when looking at these off the bat & going deep.
  • Tipi 3 lb 7 oz (55oz)
  • Full Liner 19 oz (or 20oz with cone) - Liner seems required for condensation & 2 people in there
  • Large std. stove + Chimney (6’) 35oz + 12oz (I picked this for longevity, not spending this for it to break)
    • OR Medium U turn + Chimney (6’) 23oz + 9 oz
  • Tyvek Ground cloth 8oz

Comparing a few direct 2 person 4 season tents (price is tent + footprint);
  • Scarp 2 - 4.44 Lb $534 + $40
  • Stone Glacier Skycraper - 5 Lb 8 oz $645 + $70
  • Kuiu Storm Star - 6 Lb 5oz $599 (on sale now orig. $697, footprint included)
  • Hilleberg Nallo 2 GT - 7 Lb 8oz $1065 + $95 (picked for vestibule that others had)

At this point I'm trying to figure out why a campfire cant do the same thing as your hot tent stove doesnt go through the night anyway. For sure all of these can handle the same wind, waiting to hear from Henry Shires for snow loading comparison on the scarp.

Hi Colby, I saw this thread and thought I'd cross post. I'm looking at the same thing but found the below;

Did some math and the "lightweight" Cimmaron for what I'd get is gonna be 8.125 lb and $1225! Thinking this is a hidden weight when looking at these off the bat & going deep.
  • Tipi 3 lb 7 oz (55oz)
  • Full Liner 19 oz (or 20oz with cone) - Liner seems required for condensation & 2 people in there
  • Large std. stove + Chimney (6’) 35oz + 12oz (I picked this for longevity, not spending this for it to break)
    • OR Medium U turn + Chimney (6’) 23oz + 9 oz
  • Tyvek Ground cloth 8oz

Comparing a few direct 2 person 4 season tents (price is tent + footprint);
  • Scarp 2 - 4.44 Lb $534 + $40
  • Stone Glacier Skycraper - 5 Lb 8 oz $645 + $70
  • Kuiu Storm Star - 6 Lb 5oz $599 (on sale now orig. $697, footprint included)
  • Hilleberg Nallo 2 GT - 7 Lb 8oz $1065 + $95 (picked for vestibule that others had)

At this point I'm trying to figure out why a campfire cant do the same thing as your hot tent stove doesnt go through the night anyway. For sure all of these can handle the same wind, waiting to hear from Henry Shires for snow loading comparison on the scarp.
You ever tried to dry gear by a campfire in the rain? Ever tried to stand up in a normal tent?

That’s the advantage the hot tent has over the other tents.

There are some amazing shelter options out there. I’ve owned a hot tent for 6 years now. Never ran a fire or set my stove up until this fall. Weight. Time. Other factors always prevented me from doing it. This fall my hunting buddy set one up…

Game changer. Campfire also just doesn’t produce the heat that the stove will IMO.

RyanSeek43

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks! Do you think/know if the nest inside the Cimmaron would help with condensation? What are the reasons you prefer the side door? From the reviews it seems like being able to cook under the vestibule and leaving boots completely out of the tent were the big reasons. Sounds like I might just be buying two tents and then have to make a gametime decision of which one goes.
The Nest helps condensation by cutting down on exposed floor space (water trapped in vegetation creates a lot of condensation) and provides a liner type side wall.

Gotcha_

FNG
You ever tried to dry gear by a campfire in the rain? Ever tried to stand up in a normal tent?

That’s the advantage the hot tent has over the other tents.

There are some amazing shelter options out there. I’ve owned a hot tent for 6 years now. Never ran a fire or set my stove up until this fall. Weight. Time. Other factors always prevented me from doing it. This fall my hunting buddy set one up…

Game changer. Campfire also just doesn’t produce the heat that the stove will IMO.
Good points. I'm down in CO so rain days arent as big of a deal as AK. What hot tent are you running? I'm thinking more warmth than drying at 10k ft.

Even more warmth will happen with a hot tent. Just may not have wood. Lol

I have 4 hot tents currently. 3/4 are wood stoves and floorless. The 4th is heated with a buddy heater and it’s a Cabela’s Alaskan guide geodesic 8 man.

I also run 2 Seekoutside tipis. An 8 man and a 4 man and picked up a Nortent Koie7 as well. The tipis get the most time.