2024 Tacoma- anyone bought one, drove one—thoughts?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Curious if anyone has bought one or even driven one—thoughts? My 2012 is getting a little long in the tooth, probably a year or (maybe two) out before getting a new one, but curious what folks think of the new platform.

Thanks

maxx075

Lil-Rokslider
Just bought an Off Road over the weekend. Had been toying with the idea of a 23 due to the V6 vs V4, but for a few grand more I could have a brand new truck. The transmission on my wife's RAV going out also accelerated the decision making process.

Drove her about 550 miles home and love it so far. I had a CX5 prior to this, which is also a 4 cylinder and it definitely has more pep to it than the CX5.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure why, but Montana seems late to the game getting them on their lots- maybe too many 23's sitting around???

Was the dealership willing to negotiate any on price or is it sell as marked?

IDVortex

WKR
Id be curious on this, been tossing the idea of getting rid of my 17 f250 and going with a Tacoma. So this is my 'following comment' 😂

maxx075

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure why, but Montana seems late to the game getting them on their lots- maybe too many 23's sitting around???

Was the dealership willing to negotiate any on price or is it sell as marked?
I was rather surprised/pleased with the dealership. I called and got an OTD number immediately, which was MSRP with zero dealer add ons. Ended up negotiating to about $1000 off MSRP + the cost of the doc fee + floor mats.

I could have gotten one a little better priced at a dealership a little closer, but it wasn't the color or spec I wanted, so I was willing to pay a little extra to get what I wanted - especially since I was in a bind and had to have something that day.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Toyota makes great vehicles. However, always be careful with buying the first 2 years of any new generation. You are the beta tester.

Yeah I'm at least one year, possibly two years out; just really curious what people think of the new ones.

The 3.5 is a solid engine in my experience—gas mileage sucks, but always thought the power was decent and obviously with a ton of 200k+ mile Tacomas running around, very dependable.
I was rather surprised/pleased with the dealership. I called and got an OTD number immediately, which was MSRP with zero dealer add ons. Ended up negotiating to about $1000 off MSRP + the cost of the doc fee + floor mats.

I could have gotten one a little better priced at a dealership a little closer, but it wasn't the color or spec I wanted, so I was willing to pay a little extra to get what I wanted - especially since I was in a bind and had to have something that day.

that's encouraging :)

Jbehredt

WKR
Went last week with a buddy who was hoping to replace his ram with a Tacoma. With both of us over 6’ it was very cramped. As the Tacoma’s has always been. He was hoping the new geometry improved that but it did not. New tundra for him.

maxx075

Lil-Rokslider
As far as pricing goes, you just have to do your research and be willing to travel. I've seen dealers with 3-5k markups and I've seen dealers with a 3k discount.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ are the newer generations smaller than the 1st & 2nd gens were?

while I wouldn't call my 2nd gen overly roomy, no problem with my 5'11" 185-ish frame; if the newer 3rd+ ones are smaller yet- maybe

Last edited:

CorbLand

WKR
^^ are the newer generations smaller than the 1st & 2nd gens were?

while I wouldn't call my 2nd gen overly roomy, no problem with my 5'1" 185-ish frame; if the newer 3rd+ ones are smaller yet- maybe
I have a third gen and my wife and I fit just fine. We are both 5 foot 8. Only thing I wish mine had is a 6 foot bed.

Came from a first gen access cab Tundra so the back seat might as well be a mansion to us.

Yeah I'm at least one year, possibly two years out; just really curious what people think of the new ones.

The 3.5 is a solid engine in my experience—gas mileage sucks, but always thought the power was decent and obviously with a ton of 200k+ mile Tacomas running around, very dependable.

that's encouraging :)
The 3.5l is the Camry engine, installed in the Tacoma starting 2015.
There might be some 200k examples but in most people's mind, the earlier 4.0 was a better match for doing truck stuff, due to more torque at lower revs.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The 3.5l is the Camry engine, installed in the Tacoma starting 2015.
There might be some 200k examples but in most people's mind, the earlier 4.0 was a better match for doing truck stuff, due to more torque at lower revs.

Ooops- mine is the 4.0 then (2012), not crazy torquey, but pretty good-especially with the 6 speed MT

wesfromky

WKR
I know RS loves Toyota, but you should at least take a look at the Frontiers. I have had mine for 6 months, and really like it. The Pro4X isn't as off road ready as the top Tacoma trims, but it is a solid truck. with a v6 and a proven transmission. The only downside I have so far is there is not nearly as much after market parts and upgrades.