22 ARC

Not possible, your 223 chamber is longer than the 22 ARC, so you would have to cut the breech end down enough to clean it up with a 22 ARC reamer, but you don’t have enough breech on an AR Barrel, and especially if it’s a CF wrapped proof.
Thank you

Do you have a maker you’d recommend? I’m having a hard time finding an ar15 bolt for 22arc.

Any 6.5 Grendel or 6arc bolt will work. Many likely aren’t marketed as 22ARC yet due to the newness

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have a maker you’d recommend? I’m having a hard time finding an ar15 bolt for 22arc.

Any 6.5 Grendel or 6arc bolt will work. Many likely aren’t marketed as 22ARC yet due to the newness

You will want to find an AR bolt for a 6.5 Grendel type 2 or 6mm ARC. Do not use a 7.62x39 AR bolt or a 6.5 Grendel type 1 bolt or you will have extraction issues and potential for broken extractor and bolt head. The Grendel type 2 fixed those issue and is the current version for all barrel in current production. This is not an issue for bolt action guns only gas guns

Jay

Either bart baldwin @ baldwin gunwerks in Illinois or Jack at upriver precision here in North idaho can get you contact for either. Both very knowledgeable on the 22 grendel for chambers and barrels.

For bolt heads I just looked these up:

Last edited:
You will want to find an AR bolt for a 6.5 Grendel type 2 or 6mm ARC. Do not use a 7.62x39 AR bolt or a 6.5 Grendel type 1 bolt or you will have extraction issues and potential for broken extractor and bolt head. The Grendel type 2 fixed those issue and is the current version for all barrel in current production. This is not an issue for bolt action guns only gas guns

Jay
Hope the type 2 or HP boot is all you will find in a grendel now days that wasn't the case just a few years ago when I bought a 6.5 grendel and then had a 22grendel upper built and used the same bolt head and carrier. Once I had the type 2 or higher pressure bolts no issues again

Either bart baldwin @ baldwin gunwerks in Illinois or Jack at upriver precision here in North idaho can get you contact for either. Both very knowledgeable on the 22 grendel

I second Bart Baldwin, he built my 22 Grendel, and several other rifles and they all shoot exceptionally well.

Hope the type 2 or HP boot is all you will find in a grendel now days that wasn't the case just a few years ago when I bought a 6.5 grendel and then had a 22grendel upper built and used the same bolt head and carrier. Once I had the type 2 or higher pressure bolts no issues again
The only type 1 bolts you will find are on the used market. If you buy new current products you should be fine.

Jay

Ordered a Carbon 6 barrel. 18” 1/7 twist. My plan is to shoot the 62gn new Hornady bullet. Definitely won’t go past 75.

Would 8 twist be better for those in the 224 Grendel game?

Also, I’ve never run a JP bolt or carrier group. Worth the coin? Likely building off an Aero S one set as I like that set/handguard.

So, do we have a running list of barrel manufacturers? Or are we just stuck waiting on ppl from Hornady’s list of partners

So, do we have a running list of barrel manufacturers? Or are we just stuck waiting on ppl from Hornady’s list of partners
Buy a blank and have one reamed, plenty of guys out there have reamers. Figure out your configuration you want and order it up. I know 2 guys rite now that have reamers and have knowledge over a couple years with 22 grendel can make you bolt or gas gun

I contacted Ballistic Advantage a few weeks ago and they said they would have barrels available but could release any more info then that, no time frame or anything.

Back