22 Mag or Sawtooth?

fatlander

WKR
Anything with a substantial frame doesn’t belong in a whitetail treestand in my honest opinion. I have a pop up 28 that I still feel like is too much for a treestand even when condensed to day pack mode.

I had a Sitka tool bucket for hauling stands and/or hunting in preset stands and didn’t like that either.

For whitetails it’s really hard to beat a small hydration type pack. Lash that to your lock on and your golden. Carry your lock on with molle straps and a kidney belt.

For saddle hunting I would think you’d carry your sticks in one hand and bow in the other. Light platform and clothes should be fine lashed to a small day type pack without a frame.

Most people carry too much junk whitetail hunting. Having a bigger packs makes you want to bring even more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

Bcaulder

WKR
So for those who have used both packs, is there a frame/belt that stood out as superior to the other?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
B

Bcaulder

WKR
Anything with a substantial frame doesn’t belong in a whitetail treestand in my honest opinion. I have a pop up 28 that I still feel like is too much for a treestand even when condensed to day pack mode.

I had a Sitka tool bucket for hauling stands and/or hunting in preset stands and didn’t like that either.

For whitetails it’s really hard to beat a small hydration type pack. Lash that to your lock on and your golden. Carry your lock on with molle straps and a kidney belt.

For saddle hunting I would think you’d carry your sticks in one hand and bow in the other. Light platform and clothes should be fine lashed to a small day type pack without a frame.

Most people carry too much junk whitetail hunting. Having a bigger packs makes you want to bring even more.

I wrote a very detailed post to my style of hunting, but it was too long and no one replied to it so I deleted most it and left what's there at the top. But the reason I am veering from the style you mention is because of north TX weather which requires I have gear to cover 30 to 40 degree change including very high winds. I will also be hiking in gear for my daughter who is beginning to hunt. Hiking through north TX means hiking through nasty thorns which snag all loose item lashed to bag, so it must be internal.

I can live with a framed bag up a tree more than freezing and carrying my gear in my hands the miles I hike in to my tree(s).

Thanks for sharing through. I appreciate the perspective.

22Jdub

Lil-Rokslider

That's what works for you but that doesn't work for everyone. For example...My son hunts with me a lot and I film. 70% of my hunts definitely justify a frame pack, extra ground blind chair, tripod, shooting sticks, filming equipment, extra clothing food etc. Or hang and hunt with a long hike the frame pack is definitely worth it. I agree that in lot of cases it's overkill but it definitely has its place for some

fatlander

WKR
That's what works for you but that doesn't work for everyone. For example...My son hunts with me a lot and I film. 70% of my hunts definitely justify a frame pack, extra ground blind chair, tripod, shooting sticks, filming equipment, extra clothing food etc. Or hang and hunt with a long hike the frame pack is definitely worth it. I agree that in lot of cases it's overkill but it definitely has its place for some

I’m not trying to be argumentative or derail the OPs thread but you basically just affirmed everything I said.

You’re talking about carrying blind chairs. That doesn’t involve being in a treestand or a saddle. You also said you film your hunts. Nothing in the world wrong with that, and that’s awesome that you do. However that further affirms my point that you carry too much crap too the tree.

The OP was asking about saddle hunting. The vast majority of saddle hunters are just like back country hunters. They count ounces and shed weight everywhere possible. They’re minimalistic in everything they do. A frame pack isn’t minimalistic in the whitetail world. It’s quite the opposite.

OP
B

Bcaulder

WKR
I’m not trying to be argumentative or derail the OPs thread but you basically just affirmed everything I said.

You’re talking about carrying blind chairs. That doesn’t involve being in a treestand or a saddle. You also said you film your hunts. Nothing in the world wrong with that, and that’s awesome that you do. However that further affirms my point that you carry too much crap too the tree.

The OP was asking about saddle hunting. The vast majority of saddle hunters are just like back country hunters. They count ounces and shed weight everywhere possible. They’re minimalistic in everything they do. A frame pack isn’t minimalistic in the whitetail world. It’s quite the opposite.

All correct, but for me I am looking for a bag that I could use in a tree if needed as well as do a 3-5 day.

I am 50/50 now between the Selway and Sawtooth... it would be the Selway 100% if it had better org inside.

NDGuy

WKR
Pintler (Subalpine) vs Sawtooth (Foliage) you can tell right away how much bigger the belt is on the Sawtooth. The shoulder pads seem more comfortable too. I think I’m sticking with the Sawtooth over the Pintler.

fbad2a32594f3e55d6f382ea46c3dd44.jpg
c22cf0984bb86f734d1cc0c35e455720.jpg
4997bd93d60b98b34a49bc14ad6cd82e.jpg
3b0422e42c5b47a59bcc5f286756d1f7.jpg
50f59c4c46de0bf06f0544c619642898.jpg
f63ee0173064c8cf24b6c03ec1c70b6c.jpg
019e19a82dd3686edf1c8a815b1fae29.jpg

OP
B

Bcaulder

WKR
Thanks for the side by side NDGuy, that was very helpful. Since you had your hands on the Sawtooth, do you think you could roll up the, for lack of a better word, "door" so that it leave the main compartment completely accessible when on the left side of the bag?

NDGuy

WKR
Thanks for the side by side NDGuy, that was very helpful. Since you had your hands on the Sawtooth, do you think you could roll up the, for lack of a better word, "door" so that it leave the main compartment completely accessible when on the left side of the bag?
I'm not entirely sure what you are asking but you can't access the internal storage from the left side. The advantage of the horseshoe lid is you can access anywhere in the bag without opening the rest of it.

OP
B

Bcaulder

WKR
I'm not entirely sure what you are asking but you can't access the internal storage from the left side. The advantage of the horseshoe lid is you can access anywhere in the bag without opening the rest of it.
I was afraid I was clear... Let me try again.

Scenario: right handed saddle Hunter, I keep my bag on my right side so it stays out of the way. This would mean the Sawtooth open toward me and the cover would be in the way to access the bag. So, could I roll up or pin back the cover to the main compartment so I could access this bag?

NDGuy

WKR
I was afraid I was clear... Let me try again.
Scenario: right handed saddle Hunter, I keep my bag on my right side so it stays out of the way. This would mean the Sawtooth open toward me and the cover would be in the way to access the bag. So, could I roll up or pin back the cover to the main compartment so I could access this bag?
You probably could jerry rig somethin but it doesn't have that much of a lip on it so your stuff would likely fall out pretty easily.

OP
B

Bcaulder

WKR
You probably could jerry rig somethin but it doesn't have that much of a lip on it so your stuff would likely fall out pretty easily.
I saw a mod on the Sitka Tool Bucket I think would work.

Charon

Lil-Rokslider
My Sawtooth is about to be shipped out, that being said I have seen it once set up at the ECR. Everyone I have spoken to that has one loves it. You can put chairs in it and still have room. If you plan on going off the beaten path then it's perfect for two with dog, if not then I would go with a larger tipi, maybe a 4 or 6. Don't forget, you have two people to carry gear so maybe the larger tipi won't be that much of a hassle. I got mine because I can handle the Sawtooth myself, it's not too big and doesn't weigh that much for what your getting and if I need extra room for the wife and dog it's there.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Thanks Bryan, I was hoping you would jump in here. Would you say that the Sawtooth is the exception to the Max fit versus comfort fit ?

OP
B

Bcaulder

WKR
My Sawtooth is about to be shipped out, that being said I have seen it once set up at the ECR. Everyone I have spoken to that has one loves it. You can put chairs in it and still have room. If you plan on going off the beaten path then it's perfect for two with dog, if not then I would go with a larger tipi, maybe a 4 or 6. Don't forget, you have two people to carry gear so maybe the larger tipi won't be that much of a hassle. I got mine because I can handle the Sawtooth myself, it's not too big and doesn't weigh that much for what your getting and if I need extra room for the wife and dog it's there.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Thanks Bryan, I was hoping you would jump in here. Would you say that the Sawtooth is the exception to the Max fit versus comfort fit ?
You're referring to the Sawtooth tent yes?

22Jdub

Lil-Rokslider
All correct, but for me I am looking for a bag that I could use in a tree if needed as well as do a 3-5 day.

I am 50/50 now between the Selway and Sawtooth... it would be the Selway 100% if it had better org inside.

That’s exactly why I made the comments I did. I think the sawtooth is definitely worth a try. Going to see if any sales pop up in the next few months before I jump.

OP
B

Bcaulder

WKR
To finish off this thread, I came to “my” conclusion that the magic bag doesn’t exist for me. Went with the Sawtooth (found NWT on a forum for about $80 off retail) for when I’m hunting with my kid and a pop 18 for when I’m in a tree. Turns out that the pop up will also fit my 9 year old with and XS yoke and tightening down the best till the pads touch.

Side note, the popup 18 is awesome. I know many feel the 28 is the perfect tree bag, but I’m taking the 18 every day of the week and twice on Sunday (except I don’t hunt Sundays).

I haven't used an MR since the Crew Cab days. But you can defiantly get five days in a 22 Mag with the right gear. My wife used hers on two five day hunts and those that know her, know she ain't letting me pack any of her shit:). I like the compact pack so much I am running one this year.

I would try to see which pack fits you best before you buy. Like boots, everyone's a little different.

9865891a7e1b6713faf75611b67282a5.jpg

9ada2464874494357942c32156cd5566.jpg
Nice photo! What frame is she using?